In a press briefing on January 26, 2019, PHIVOLCS announced that the Taal Alert Level has been lowered to 3, which meant "decreased tendecy towards hazardous eruption, pero hindi po natin inaalis," noted PHIVOLCS director Dr. Renato Solidum, Jr., explaining futher that this was based on the lowering of several parameters.
"'Yong aktibidad po na nakikita natin sa Taal main crater ay humina. Pagkatapos ng mga pagsabog, mga usok na lang ang lumalabas," he said. "Ang pag-akyat ng magma mula sa ilalim ay hindi na masyadong aktibo, at 'yong bagong magma ay nandoon lang at hindi umakyat... At mukhang doon muna siya sa kasalukuyan. Pero babantayan natin ito kasi kung sakali ito'y umakyat ulit papuntang ibabaw, ay baka magkaroon uli ng bagong activity sa volcano.
"'Pag sinabi nating 'Alert Level 3', pinapakita lamang natin na bumababa ang mga lebel ng mga parametrong ating binabantayan."
The PHIVOLCS chief also reiterated that there still could be steam-driven explosions, "kasi very active 'yong pagpapakulo ng tubig doon sa ilalim ng main crater."
Baranggays of Agoncillo and Laurel remain within the danger zone, and Taal Island remains to be a permanent danger zone.
A bulletin relased on January 27 maintains Alert Level 3. According to Dr. Solidum, evaluation of alert de-escalation takes time. "Ang ating step-down procedure na tinitingnan sa lahat ng volcanoes is every two weeks... Hindi po 'yan biglaan... Dito kasi, may lingering threat; patuloy na panganib na napapansin sa volcano."
Read the latest bulletin here:
If you wish to help those affected by Taal's eruption, click here for a list of institutions that need volunteers and accept donations.
- Taal Volcano Erupts, PHIVOLCS Raises Alert Status to Level 3
- No Volcanic Tsunami as of Now, Taal Alert Level 4 Remains, Says PHIVOLCS Director
- Ladies, You Have the Right to Refuse to Work in Times of Emergency
- This Couple Got Married in Tagaytay Amid Taal Volcano Eruption
- Do This Before Cleaning up Ashfall From Your Garden
- Where to Volunteer, Send Donations for Those Affected by Taal's Eruption
- Coffee Farms Most Affected by Taal Eruption, Says Report
- Forbes Asia Hero of Philanthropy Awardee Angel Locsin Joins Taal Relief Efforts
- Taal Volcano Expels 'Short-Lived Ash Plumes', Alert Level 4 Remains