Basketball player James Yap and Queen of All Media Kris Aquino both have plans to adopt their son, Bimby (James Yap, Jr.), ABS-CBNNews.com reports. Kris previously said in an interview on The Buzz that Bimby is currently an illegitimate child because of the grounds for their annulment. Kris and James's marriage was declared null and void because of the "lack of authority of the solemnizing officer."
"Ang next step kasi dito, I need to adopt my children," Kris explained. "That is very complicated, and mawi-weirdan ang mga tao. I need to adopt them para there is no question of inheritance later on."
"Under Philippine Law kasi, if a child is born na hindi kasal ang nanay, illegitimate siya," she added. "Because of the grounds for an annulment, Bimby is illegitimate. So kailangan for me to legitimize my own children, kahit na biologically niluwal ko sila. (So I need to legitimize my own children, even though I'm their biological mother.)"
In an interview with ABS-CBNNews.com, James said he also wants to adopt Bimby. "Siyempre paglaki ni Baby James, baka tanungin niya ako na, ‘Bakit hindi mo ako in-adopt eh anak mo ako?' So ‘yon ‘yung mga wino-worry ko talaga (When Baby James grows up, he might ask me, 'How come you didn't adopt me when I'm your son?' So that's what I'm really worried about)," he said.
The ex-couple continue to be friends and plan to keep in touch for Bimby's sake. They even congratulated each other after their annulment was made final.
For more on this issue, read these articles:
- Kris Aquino's Marriage to James Yap Officially Annulled
- Kris Aquino on Love and Marriage: “Never again” + 5 Tips on Not Letting a Bad Breakup Make You Jaded
- Kris and James Clash Over Visitation Rights: Stabilizing Your Child's Life Despite Separation
- James Yap: "I will fight to keep my family intact"
- Kris Aquino and James Yap: Is their marriage at an end?
To learn more about annulment and other marriage-related legal topics, check these out:
- On Miriam Quiambao’s Divorce, Church Annulment, and Civil Annulment: What Every Woman Needs to Know
- Kris Aquino regrets not asking James Yap to sign a prenup + 3 reasons you should consider getting one
- 9 Reasons to Support the Legalization of Divorce in the Philippines
(Photos courtesy of PEP.ph)