For young children, everything is interesting. Small and shiny objects, in particular, seem to be favorites, which is all well and good--until your kids accidentally ingest them, that is. According to a news release by the American College of Emergency Physicians, these small objects aren’t only choking hazards. Some of them may even cause serious internal damage.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Small batteries and magnets, in particular, present the most damage. Children who accidentally ingest batteries from their toys may find the objects stuck in the esophagus or the gastrointestinal tract. Unless they are removed quickly, these batteries may go on to damage tissue. Kids who swallow neodymium magnets, on the other hand, may experience the objects attracting each other inside the body, which can trap tissue and cause internal damage that may warrant surgery.

CONTINUE READING BELOW
Recommended Videos

According to college president Dr. David Seaberg, these small and shiny objects "are easily accessible to kids. Small batteries, for example, are often found in a child's toy, and from that child's perspective, they can look like pieces of candy."

This news serves as a reminder for parents to keep hazardous objects away from their kids. If you suspect your child has ingested something he shouldn't, researchers advise calling an emergency hotline or bringing your kid to the emergency room as soon as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

(Photo by Nicole Lee via Flickr Creative Commons)

Get the latest updates from Female Network
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Comments
Trending on Network

Latest Stories

This Skincare Brand Uses Natural Ingredients To Keep Up With Your 30s Skin

If you're new to natural, we'll give you a rundown on the ingredients you need to try.

This Pinay Executive Shares the Career Lessons That Brought Her to the Top

AXA Philippines Chief of Commercial Business believes that women and mothers have an advantage in the workforce.

Meet Alice Dixson's First Baby, Aura!

The 51-year-old actress had her first child through surrogacy in early 2021.
Load More Stories