Television has a potent influence on its audience, especially those who are young and impressionable; it helps shape a child's thoughts and aspirations. Consciously or otherwise, children often emulate and imitate what they see on TV and idealize the characters from their favorite programs.
Here’s how you can teach your children to be critical of what they see and hear.
For related articles, check out these links:
- 10 Tips on Discussing Current Events with Your Child
- Develop Your Kids' Life Skills and Characters by Having Them Focus on Self-Improvement
- 7 Tips to Help Your Kids Enjoy Reading
- 7 Tips for Helping Kids Cope with Disappointment
- No More Picky Eaters: 6 Tips for Teaching Your Kids to Eat Smart
(First published in Good Housekeeping Magazine, Good Family, Keep It Real section as "Birds nor Bees" in May 2010; adapted for use in Female Network. Photo by Alec Couros via Flickr Creative Commons)