Earlier this month, a one-year-old girl named Triza died after drinking a glass of water which also contained silver cleaning fluid, according to this article in The Philippine Daily Inquirer. After realizing that a dangerous accident had occurred, Triza’s parents rushed her to the Ospital ng Maynila, where the child was pronounced dead on arrival.

As tragic as it is, this is a more common occurrence than most people realize. The article reports that, in 2008, silver cleaning fluid was the fourth most frequently ingested chemical poison, both accidentally and non-accidentally. It was also the third most commonly swallowed among children, based on information from the University of the Philippines-National Poison Management and Poison Control Center (UP-NPMPCC). The article also shares that from January to April 2009, the UP-NPMPCC dealt with 99 cases of silver cleaning poisoning which resulted in the deaths of six victims aged 18 and below.

The untimely demise of such a young child like Triza should serve as a cautionary tale to parents who may not have poison-proofed their homes—yet. Looking for practical measures to prevent accidental poisoning in your house? Start with these steps.

 

(Photo source: sxc.hu)

Get the latest updates from Female Network
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Comments

Latest Stories

Kat Ramnani Weds Christian Bautista in Inbal Dror Wedding Gown

Christian Bautista and Kat Ramnani tied the knot yesterday, November 17, in Bali, Indonesia.

Jolina Magdangal on Midlife Crisis, Turning 40 and Husband Mark

The actress shares her thoughts on midlife crisis and what it feels like to be 40.

Christian Bautista and Kat Ramnani Share Why It's Important To Discuss Finances Before Getting Married

Kat Ramnani and Christian Bautista encourage engaged couples to discuss their financial arrangements even before their wedding.
Load More Stories