BEVERLY HILLS—We were so proud to be Pinoy when we saw some of our talented and outstanding Filipino fashion designers make their presence felt in the recently concluded 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Read on for details, then check out the slide show below for a glimpse of the stars and what they wore.
FILIPINO DESIGNS ON THE RED CARPET
Monique Lhuillier, Oliver Tolentino, and Alan Del Rosario all displayed their original creations on the red carpet of the Golden Globes.
Monique Lhuillier dressed up Ringer star Sarah Michelle Gellar in an eye-catching yet playful ink-swirl blue-and-white gown that was made heads turn on the red carpet.
Oliver Tolentino, who is making a name for himself as an eco-friendly fashion designer, created a beaded green piña gown for Stuart Brazell, host of This Week in Reality TV and lead correspondent of ABC’s On the Red Carpet show.
Former Miss Universe-turned-journalist Margaret Gardiner from South Africa donned a very feminine and romantic sleeveless beige gown made of lacy material, also created by Oliver.
Oliver also created a whimsical burgundy dress for my daughter, Ella, and a mint green long gown for my other daughter, Nikki, who both attended the Globes. Oliver also made a dashing suede tux for my hubby, Ruben, who received compliments on his special Tolentino outfit from Golden Globe winner George Clooney! As for this columnist, fashion designer Alan Del Rosario created a beaded, sleeveless, and layered burgundy-and-purple gown for the occasion.
Ironically, it was the first time that the two Oscar Designer Challenge finalists—Alan (2009) and Oliver (2010)—met. The two award-winning fashion designers hit it off quickly and partied at the Globes with us, thrilling us with their good looks and gentlemanly charm.
- When actress, pop star, and children's book author Madonna arrived, Dustin Hoffman could not contain himself as he pulled out his camera to take snapshots of her. He too is a fan!
- The lovely Tilda Swinton, stunning in a periwinkle jacket and fishtail skirt by Haider Ackermann, was escorted onto the red carpet by her boyfriend.
- War Horse actor Jeremy Irvine arrived excited to attend his first Golden Globe Awards event and really did not know what to expect, but he said he was looking forward to an evening with “all my idols.”
- Laura Dern, who won a Golden Globe for her new TV show, Enlightened, also arrived at the Globes with her lovely mom, actress Diane Ladd.
- Jodie Foster, who came in late with her two sons in tow, was excited to bring her children to the show for the first time. She even had her two sons sit beside her when she was focused on camera.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt of 50/50 told us repeatedly that we were the reason why the Golden Globes is the best party in town—though we know he was kidding! His YouTube performance with New Girl star Zooey Deschanel has been a video hit! Zooey, dressed in a stunning custom Prada black gown with lime-green beading on the torso, was lovely that night.
Check out the slide show below for details on more highlights (plus photos of stars like Charlize Theron, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, and more!
E-mail the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org for your comments or questions.
(All photos used with permission from the photographers)