Tony Award-winning actress and singer Lea Salonga started receiving negative comments on social media sites after a report on news portal Interaksyon.com came out on February 12 with the headline "Lea Salonga disses Anne Curtis's singing.'"
The report implied that Lea was criticizing Anne Curtis and her singing. It has since been taken down.
In a series of Tweets on her official Twitter account, @MsLeaSalonga, Lea clarified that her words were taken out of context in the report. "A full transcript of an interview answer I gave today has just been posted," she said. "I didn't diss or attack @annecurtissmith directly."
The Broadway actress admitted that she had "strong opinions about off-key singers" in general, but, she noted, "Anne herself doesn't identify as a singer. I respect that and said so today."
"So before anyone decides to launch an attack because of what I said, which I stand by, find out exactly what I said in full and in context," she added.
Interaksyon.com apologized to both Lea and Anne in a report posted on the same day. "After a review of the full transcript of the interview in question, it is clear to us that Ms. Salonga did not 'diss' Ms. Curtis and was in fact going to great lengths to give her fellow entertainer respect and props."
According to the transcript, Lea said she found people who represented themselves as singers but clearly could not sing insulting. Anne's situation, however, was different, she pointed out. "The thing about Anne, I’m glad for her, I’m not a singer. I’m an entertainer. So, I can’t get angry at her. And she doesn’t represent herself as a singer. She had a dream to one day do a concert at Araneta Coliseum. She made it come true. Everybody (who) went (there) that I know had a great time. "
But despite the apology and clarification on Interaksyon.com, social networking sites were still peppered with negative posts about Lea's alleged insults, PEP.ph reports. "What kind of person would cuss someone out on Twitter? Anong klaseng tao ang nagmumura sa iba sa Twitter? Duwag o matapang? Coward or brave?" Lea said in one Tweet on February 14.
"No actually, I've been getting cussed out by total strangers in the last couple of days, so I got curious. Block button's busy," she replied to a Tweet asking her if she was referring to DJ Mo Twister.
For more on Lea Salonga, check out these articles:
- Lea Salonga, Shamcey Supsup, Tweetie de Leon-Gonzalez, and More Breast Cancer Advocates
- Lea Salonga Recognized as a Disney Legend + Video: 4 Disney Princesses Sing at 2011 Expo
- Lea Salonga's New York in June gets good reviews from The New York Times
- Lea Salonga and Sarah Geronimo to duet with Charice? + 25 Celebs We’d Like Charice to Sing With
- Lea Salonga Spearheads Sex Myth Awareness Campaign on Twitter + 20 Sex Myths
- 5 Lessons on Love and Marriage You Can Learn from Lea Salonga
- Lea Salonga, Fidel V. Ramos, Cheche Lazaro, and more support pro-RH Bill Purple Ribbon Campaign
For more on Anne Curtis, try these:
- Anne Curtis Excited about Teleserye with Kris Aquino and Robin Padilla
- 55 Photos from Anne Curtis's Annebisyosa: No Other Concert
- Anne Curtis Performs to Sold-Out Crowd, Says "Dreams Do Really Come True"
- Shoe Envy: Anne Curtis for Primadonna + Over 50 Pairs to Covet
- Anne Curtis, Cristine Reyes, and Derek Ramsay Share Their Views on Cheating
- Cover Girl: Behind the Scenes at Anne Curtis's Cover Shoot for Preview
(Photos courtesy of PEP.ph)