More than two months have passed since the Philippine franchise of The Biggest Loser ended its run. During the finale, the last five contestants standing--and the rest of the show's alumni--showcased their healthier bodies and celebrated the triumph of losing weight and improving their self-images after months of training.
In the January-February 2012 issue of Good Housekeeping, cover girl Angela Lupangco and her fellow contestants--Larry, Art, Raffy, Hazel, and Ryan--share details from their journey to fitness as well as tips they used to gain their now healthier bodies. Read on for a preview of the advice Angela had to give.
1. INDULGE ONCE IN A WHILE.
"Kapag hindi mo pinagbigyan ang sarili mo, ang tendency ay kapag kumain ka na ng hamburger kunwari, mag-bi-binge ka na. Baka maka-tatlo ka sa isang upuan! (If you don't allow yourself to indulge, there's a tendency to start binge eating, let's say, when you eat a hamburger. You might end up eating three in one sitting!)"
2. WORK OUT FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES A DAY.
"Hindi mo nga kailangan mag-gym (You don't need to go to the gym)," Angela explains. "’Yung mga activities tulad ng pagwalis-walis sa bahay, makakatulong din ’yun sa iyo. Basta determinado ka, makakahanap ka ng paraan. (Activities like sweeping will also help you. As long as you're determined, you can find a way.)"
3. TAKE BREAKS.
Too much training will burn you out. Plus, there's an upside to having breaks: "Sa maniwala kayo o sa hindi, kahit wala kang workout, at kung okay naman ang nutrition mo as in hindi ka kumakain ng sobra, at kapag nag-rest ka, mag-lo-lose ka ng weight. (Believe it or not, you can still lose weight even without working out, as long as your nutrition is okay and you don't overeat.)"
To learn more about the Biggest Loser contestants' fitness strategies, as well as get expert advice from Coach Jim Saret and Chinggay Andrada, grab a copy of Good Housekeeping's January-February 2012 issue, out on stands now!
Also in this issue:
- 10 Tips to Help You Stick to Your Resolutions
- Lucky You! Feng Shui Tips for the Year of the Dragon
- How to Prep a Yummy Valentine's Meal for Less than P44
For more Good Housekeeping excerpts, try these:
- Cook an Amazing Noche Buena with Good Housekeeping's December 2011 issue!
- 5 Ways Daphne Oseña-Paez Makes Christmas Special for Her Loved Ones
- Jodi Sta. Maria on Video Games, Homework, and Other Parenting Issues
- 5 Parenting Tips from Judy Ann Santos
- 3 Money Secrets from Jinkee Pacquiao
- 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn from Jennylyn Mercado
- 5 Lessons Ballsy Aquino-Cruz Learned from Her Mom
- 5 Relationship Tips from Kristine Hermosa and Oyo Boy Sotto
(Photos by Ocs Alvarez/ACME Innovatives)