Promotions offer you a chance to take on a more challenging role within your company, lead any teams under you to success, and, yes, earn more money. But if you're angling for one, you need to remember that your superiors aren’t just looking at the results of your work; they’re also looking at your process and the soft skills you possess
Soft skills are a set of interpersonal skills that can make or break you in the corporate world. While people are hired on the basis of their technical know-how or university degree, people are promoted based on the way they contribute to the organization, how they handle daily tasks, and how they manage the occasional crisis.
So while knowing how to use the latest software or how to score a sweet set of clients for your company is important, it’s also imperative that you develop the way you interact with the people around you. If you’re not sure where to start, the slide show below contains a list of 10 soft skills that you might want to focus on so that you can keep climbing up the corporate ladder.
For more work-related tips, check these out on FN:
- Cubicle Coach: 10 Common-Sense Skills You Need to Develop to Get to the Top
- Step Up: 5 Ways to Show You Deserve Your Promotion
- 6 Tips for Landing Your Dream Job
- Cubicle Coach: 5 Things That Could Be Killing Your Career
- 8 Tips to Help You Get That Promotion
- 5 Ways to Avoid Maintaining an Unproductive Mindset