Kids can learn to love reading even before they know how to read, so it's a good idea to start them early by reading to them and engaging them in storytelling activities. Teach them that reading isn't just something you have to do for school, but something that broadens your perspective and enriches your imagination. Teach them that reading is fun.
Check the slide show below for tips on providing your kids with reading experiences they’ll cherish for a lifetime.
Want more tips on encouraging your kids to read and love books? Check these articles out:
- Picture Books are Losing Their Appeal + 5 Tips to Get Your Kids to Read
- Be a Better Storyteller: 5 Tips + 19 Book Suggestions
- Ready for Reading: Why You Should Read to Your Kids
- Happy Little Bookworm: 20 Tips for Raising a Reader
- FN Bookshelf: 15 Books that Influenced Us as Children
(First published in the January-February 2009 issue of Good Housekeeping Magazine's Good Family section, as the monthly installment in the Teacher Says column, entitled "Hit the Books"; adapted for use in Female Network. Photo by adwriter via Flickr Creative Commons)