Money, like work, is a universal truth. Anywhere you are in the world and whoever you may be, you cannot survive without a source of income. It doesn’t mean however, that money should be the driving force in our lives. Doing so can make us blind to what’s really important, like the people we love.
In fact, research from the American Psychological Association has found that a third of couples say that money is a major source of conflict in their relationship. Worryingly, arguing about finances is the top predictor for divorce according to a study published in the journal Family Relations.
That’s because money can only take us so far. Our lives need to be anchored on deeper, more intangible things like love and purpose. Some of the most influential people also believe and know this. Below are some of their famous sayings about money beautifully presented in flashcards from Oprah.com. Share them with your partner and remember them whenever the burden of money becomes too much to bear:
1. On money versus happiness:
2. Because being rich isn’t the only end-goal:
3. Because the family budget reveals more than you know:
4. On the hollowness of money:
5. On finding meaning in work:
6. On spending time at home:
7. On selflessness and giving:
This story originally appeared on Smartparenting.com.ph.
* Minor edits have been made by the Femalenetwork.com editors.