If you work from home--whether on a part-time or full-time basis--you know how hard it is to be efficient if your makeshift office isn't inspiring you at all. In Real Living's October 2011 issue, you can get tips on making your office the best working environment it can be by looking at the spaces of restaurateur/food stylist Sharlene Tan and interior designer Wilmer Lopez.
Pictured on the right is part of Sharlene's home-based office for her co-owned pasta-to-go restaurant, Goodles. Originally a study filled with dark wooden cabinets, she had it redecorated so it would be more attuned with her and her partner's different working styles. Here's a preview of some of the design tips you can get from Shar's space:
Let it be bright. From an all-dark-wood dominated room, Sharlene's room gets a generous amount of white with girly pops of pink and green shades on the chairs and the green floral wallpaper on the open shelves behind her table.
Storage and shelves. With the old (but useful) cabinets gone, Sharlene still needed ample storage space. "But I still wanted the office to look very spacious," she says, which wasn't the case with the previous cabinets. Designer Elle Uy suggested open shelves. Sharlene had enough cookbooks, magazines, bowls, and other colorful items she uses for styling to look interesting against the white and green shelves. Elle also had mid-sized white cabinets with locks built against the two walls of the room.
To read the six-page feature with photos of Wilmer's and Shar's homes and tips for your own home office, grab a copy of Real Living Magazine's October 2011 issue, out on stands now!
Also in this issue:
- 84 Ways to Decorate Like a Pro
- Inside the Homes of Lifestyle Bloggers
- 10 Designer Solutions for Your Small Space
Want to read more Real Living excerpts? Check these out on FN:
- Check in on Real Living's Ultimate Makeover Winners in their September 2011 issue!
- Turn old trends into modern chic with Real Living's July 2011 issue!
- Turn your house into a home with Real Living's June 2011 issue!
- Be inspired by 30 pages of offbeat homes in Real Living's May 2011 issue!
- Get a good night’s sleep with Real Living’s list of the 10 best beds for 2011
- Ring in the New Year with 3 Colorful Design Ideas from Real Living
(Photo by Vincent Coscolluela)