The summer heat can be quite stifling, so we're not surprised that a lot of people are trooping to malls to buy air conditioning units (or mooch off the free air-conditioning). But if you just want to stay at home, there are still small things you can do to keep your home from turning into a giant oven. Check out some of our suggestions below:
1. Cook without a stove. Once you turn that stove on, your house will become unnecessarily warmer. To save yourself the trouble of cooking and to keep the temperature inside the house from rising even more, opt to make easy stove-free meals like salads and sandwiches instead.
2. Keep windows and doors open. Unless the air conditioning unit is on, leave your windows and bedroom doors open. This can help the air circulate in and out of the house. If your windows are directly facing the sun, however, keep the curtains closed.
3. Unplug your appliances. Anything electronic gives off heat. If you want to make your home more bearable this summer, unplug all unused appliances and gadgets. The money you save from a lower electric bill is simply a bonus.
4. Place a bowl of ice in front of the electric fan. If you can’t stand the heat a second longer, this neat trick can cool you down instantly.
5. Install air vents. Vents are specifically designed to chase warm air out of the house. They are usually placed in the kitchen or in the bathroom.
(Photo Source: Classy in the City via Jenny Donovan on Pinterest)
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Trending on Network