There are three things a home should be—warm, cozy and comfortable. What's the easiest way to achieve all that? Through rustic decor, of course! This style is a classic as it can easily transcend trends. Achieve the look with these tips:
1. Create a balance between natural details and modern furniture.
Imperfect elements such as raw stone, wood beams, and bricks contrast and highlight modern, often rectilinear furniture designs or mid-century modern pieces.
2. Soften a wood-heavy space with color through throws, area rugs and floor pillows.
Add a few whimsical touches by way of toys and accessories with a weathered look or patina.
3. Choose natural materials and neutrals, and go for symmetrical arrangements and displays.
Add hints of tribal weavings and bohemian throws. For a more cohesive look, consider sticking to a theme for consistency.
4. Let the sunshine into your home.
The more natural light, the better. Bringing in the outdoors while having cozy decor is the essence of rustic living.
5. Offset neutral hues with happy colors.
Try fuchsia, aqua and lime—colors that contrast nicely with vintage furniture and wooden elements.
This article originally appeared in the December 2015-January 2016 issue of Real Living Magazine.
This story originally appeared on Realliving.com.ph.
* Minor edits have been made by the Femalenetwork.com editors.