1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
All-purpose flour for dredging
1/2 cup rice wine
½ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. In a bowl, mix together ingredients for marinade.
2. Put in chicken and mix until all the pieces are coated with the marinade. Set aside for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
3. After 1 hour, heat enough oil in pan to prepare for deep-frying chicken.
4. Coat each piece of chicken in flour and fry in medium heat until cooked through and golden.
5. Drain excess oil with paper towels.
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
¼ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
3 teaspoons shredded ginger
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup water
Chopped spring onions for garnish
1. In a wok, mix together all ingredients for the sauce and boil until thick and syrupy.
2. Toss in chicken pieces in the sauce until well coated.
3. Garnish with chopped spring onions.
Yummy tip: Want to prepare this dish ahead of time? Deep-fry the chicken until it’s half-cooked and keep it in the freezer until you need it. You can make the sauce in advance too. When ready to cook, thaw the chicken, fry completely until golden and mix with sauce.
For more easy-to-do and delicious recipes, practical tips and interesting food features, grab your copy of Yummy Magazine. Available for P95 in newsstands starting March 2007.