4 kuapao buns, steamed
Pickled Mustasa Topping:
½ kilo pickled mustasa
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
Wash pickled mustasa in water 6 times. Chop into small pieces and set aside. Boil sugar and water until syrupy. Put in pickled mustasa and boil until mustasa absorbs syrup, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain excess syrup.
2 peanut bars
2 tablespoons sugar
Crush peanut bars into fine grounds and mix in sugar. Transfer to a small bowl.
1 kilo pork liempo
¾ cup soy sauce
4 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine
½ cup green onion
1½ tablespoons cornstarch mixed with
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1. Marinate pork in soy sauce for 30 minutes.
2. Heat enough oil to cover pork in a frying pan. Deep-fry pork until golden brown then remove and immediately dip in a bowl of ice, skin side down, for 15 minutes. This is done to form a crust.
3. Slice pork thinly and place in a heat-proof serving dish. Mix together sugar, rice wine, green onion, ginger slices, and remaining soy sauce from marinade in a bowl and pour over meat. Steam meat in high heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.
4. When cooked, get liquid from meat and put in a small saucepan. Discard ginger slices. Thicken sauce with cornstarch mixture and add sesame oil.
5. To arrange, slice each kuapao bun midway and insert a slice of meat. Top with pickled mustasa, peanut-sugar mixture, coriander, and drizzle with hot sauce. Serve immediately with sauce on the side.
For more easy-to-do and delicious recipes, practical tips and interesting food features, grab your copy of Yummy Magazine. Available for P95 in newsstands starting March 2007.