Hailing from East Asia, tea has been around for thousands of years. It’s both cultural and culinary, and has continuously renewed the bodies and the hearts of many health enthusiasts around the world.
Drinking tea has always been a relaxing treat, but how well do you know this beverage? Below are 10 fun facts that will convince you to start taking a cup daily, if you haven’t already.
1. According to legend, Tea was said to have been discovered by Emperor Shennong of China back in 2737 BC when tea leaves blew into his cauldron of boiling water.
2. The British consume 60.2 billion cups of tea in a year.
3. Approximately 85 percent of tea consumed in the United States is iced.
4. TWG, one of the biggest tea companies in the world, has over 300 tea blends, including the recently launched Jasmine Monkey King Haute Couture Tea and the Mon Amour Tea.
5. Tea contains antioxidants that help protect your body from toxins. WebMD notes that black and green tea has ten times more antioxidants than fruits and vegetables
6. Tea ups your immune system and helps keep cancer away. A report from Reuters links green tea to the lower chances of contracting the disease.
7. Tea in itself does not have calories, and can actually keep you hydrated.
8. Tea can help you lose weight. It takes seven decaffeinated cups of tea daily in a day to reduce body fat.
9. Tea can give your memory a boost, as it contains the antioxidant EGCG (epigallocatechin-3 gallate) that protects you from degenerative diseases.
10. Tea can help keep your heart healthy. People who drink five or more cups a day are less likely to suffer from cardiac disease than those who only drink one cup.