Author Topic: Adults Who Color  (Read 44151 times)

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
Adults Who Color
« on: July 18, 2015, 11:44:29 am »
Not sure if there's already a thread on this but I couldn't find any so starting one.

I have recently just gotten into the coloring craze and I love it! It's a stress-reliever for me and also a bonding session with my daughter.

I have coloring books that are mostly Creative Haven. I love that the pages are perforated and that they are reasonably-priced at only P220.

I have ordered some coloring books from Amazon - design originals by Thaneeya McArdle. Can't wait for these to arrive!

I have the following:
- crayola twistable crayons that I haven't used yet
- crayola twistable colored pencils that I have tried once but found them a bit dull, the colors just didnt stand out for me
- sharpie fine point markers that i super love though these bleed through so best to use on one-sided pages
- art attack washable markers that were the first ones i bought and they are ok
- crayola soft tip markers that are ok too because they give a lot of coverage
- gel pens (tattoo glitter, neon, pastel etc) that i also super love though they take a while to dry

I've been thinking of getting tombow dual tip pens (brush pen and fine point) but i find the price a bit steep.

Also thinking of getting a 30pc set of stabilo 68 markers and 88 fine points.

Anyone else who has joined the bandwagon lately or even from before pa?

Would love to exchange ideas! :)

belle_v2g

• not your ordinary
  • Super GirlTalker
  • blessed | favored | loved
    • Our Wedding
Re: Adults Who Color
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:27:27 pm »
hi clueless, i would like to try this new craze too. i am checking eBay now for that.
A GIRL cherishes handbags, diamonds and her shoe collection as her prized possessions.
A WOMAN cherishes her health, her sense of self, and her talents as her greatest assets.
- N. Mah

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:13:38 pm »
^ go, sis! :) anything in particular you're looking for?

j.adore

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 07:15:14 pm »
Saw this in my feeds too.. What do you do with books you're done coloring on?

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 07:32:00 pm »
^ my books have perforated pages and have prints on one side only. I tear them off when i color. For now, the finished pages are just in an envelope but i have seen some who have their work framed for display.

chicafabulosa

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 08:12:32 pm »
Hi sis clueless im trying to find adult coloring book at national bookstore, where did you buy yours?
A girl's most beautiful outfit is charisma, the prettiest accessory is smile, & the best pair of heels is confidence.

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »
^ national bookstore in greenbelt 1, sis. I got mine 2 weekends ago. they had quite a few in stock then. not sure now.

last Friday, I went to powerbooks in greenbelt and they had none, as in wipe out. wala daw natira kahit isa.

the selection in fully booked is different, medyo mas mahal mga coloring books nila doon but I saw some at fully booked in high street.

yesterday lang, I got from powerbooks serendra the creative coloring - inspirations. it was priced at P299 and some resellers sell this for P1,350!

I also ordered some from bookdepository.com yesterday. free shipping worldwide, orders arrive in 7-10 days.

crzysxycl

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:20:19 pm »
Like ko rin ito, nakaka relax kasi. I still have gel pens, crayons, colored/glittered markers. Saan kaya maganda bumili ng coloring books for adults?

Sorry OT, I'm planning to have "coloring sessions" or arts and crafts lessons with hubby's makukulit na pamangkins para maenhance creativity nila at mabawasan ang kalat sa bahay pag dumadalaw sila. ;D Mga kids kasi these days gadgets na rin ang laging hawak.

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:48 pm »
^ national bookstore or powerbooks.

my daughter enjoys coloring also. she's almost 5 years old. I give her some pages from my own coloring books to work on and she also uses my art attack markers (these are the only ones I am willing to lend to her) and she has her own set of glitter gel pens.

chicafabulosa

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 09:53:27 pm »
Okay got it. Thankie sis
A girl's most beautiful outfit is charisma, the prettiest accessory is smile, & the best pair of heels is confidence.

crzysxycl

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 10:13:15 pm »
^^thanks sis. hanap ako tomorrow sa national bookstore. :)

luckyangel22

• Probationary
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 04:28:06 am »
i enjoy coloring too! I have colored a few pages of the Secret Garden by Johanna Basford. Faber Castell color pencils ang ginagamit ko. :)

smoothie

• Mom @ work
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 04:38:11 pm »
I do color too! But I use my son's coloring book. I don't want to to buy the coloring book for adults because just seeing the drawings, na-stress ako. na-o.o.c ako :)

Mindy

• It's a bird, it's a plane, it's...
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Back to regular programming
    • Too Much TV
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 08:23:49 am »
Hooked on this as well and it's supposed to be promote mindfulness pero there's a tendency to be OC and addicted to it, so nakaka-stress na sya. ;D Seriously though, I've observed I sleep better after coloring and my comprehension is sharper. But it may be coz I've been watching TV less and coloring more these days.

I've bought books at NBS, but in our branches here in the East (Marikina/Cainta/Katipunan vicinity) the selections are few and they don't put it on display. Instead, you have to ask customer service for it. Tinatago pa nila kasi not enough stocks to meet the demand. I also buy coloring sheets from local artists on Instagram. I'm actually excited to get this one soon, a Filipino-themed 30-sheet set from this artist - https://instagram.com/p/5jwg3ni93X/?taken-by=colormedoodle (This is not a paid post, I just really love his work and Summit Publishing has featured him on Spot.Ph already). You can also check coloraway and whimsy_palette on Instagram for their illustrations and coloring sheets.

I like the sheets kasi sometimes ang hirap mag-color with books. You can turn it around but the binded area gets in the way of coloring. I don't want to tear pages off the books kasi.

I also print on my own from Pinterest - check out posts with "dover publishing" in the search box and you'll see plenty. Dover Publishing also has free samples of adult coloring sheets on their site. They've been publishing adult coloring books since 30 years ago. In fact, many of the books being sold at NBS/Fully Booked are published by them (so some of the sheets on Pinterest are lifted off the books).

I use board paper for printing, which is thicker (pang calling card) so that pens and watercolors don't bleed through. Nakaka-ubos lang ng ink ng printer tong hobby na ito!  ;D

For my tools - I use Faber watercolor pencils with a water brush, Crayola pens and pencils, Pentel pencils, Art Attack pens (this I like the least), Pentel oil pastels, Dong-A pens. All these are from NBS. There's another good brand of pencils daw, which are available at select NBS stores - Colleen, which is almost as good as the expensive Prismacolor pencils. I've yet to try this.

As of yesterday, NBS Katipunan has plenty of stocks for Animorphia (Pinoy artist, but published by foreign publishing company) and Oodles of Doodles (foreign artist). These books are thick, so you'll shell out 650+ or so. But there are plenty of pages, sulit na rin if you want to color a lot.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:32:47 am by Mindy »

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 10:13:56 am »
^ i've been seeing a lot of free printables also. Would love to try those sana but i dont have a printer at home. Pero mukhang magastos nga sa printer ink.

I also considered photocopying the pages in my books so i dont have to tear them off but was hesitant because i didnt know what type of paper to use.

I saw colleen pencils at fully booked high street. I had those as a kid. 2 colors in one pencil.

I was thinking of getting the faber castell 48pc set of pencils also but i really prefer markers. I found preloved copic ciao markers that i really want to get. Super mahal sa amazon but what's good with copic is you dont see the lines from the strokes.

Now i'm loving my sharpies. I want to go the NBS in glorietta later because they have a wide range of colors there. I have also tried blending colors using my sharpies and i loved the result! Pwede pala! :)

It's really very relaxing. I dont notice the time when i color and i actually prefer staying home na on weekends to color. Yon nga lang, kinakalyo na ako.

cldy_1981

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 11:16:31 am »
Yey! A thread on adult coloring books! Just started doing this too, I got mine from Ntional Bookstore - I just forget the title of the book but its around P650 but its pretty thick and all are one sided prints, kaya lang unlike your books clueless these dont have perforated pages so im thinking pa how i can cut out the ones i have finished para I can frame them and hang it.

What would be nice brands pa of pens? Right now i just have the crayola twistables, art attack coloring pentel pens 12's and faeber castel na watercolor pencils. I have a separate water coloring kit that I want to try [textspeak!] lsng since nga i cant tear the pages i'm pretty sure it'll bleed onto the next pages, so syang naman.

Chaka how much are the sets I think I have to make ipon for them as the materials can get quite expensive hehe!
"Loving is not just looking at each other, it's looking in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

belle_v2g

• not your ordinary
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Our Wedding
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 12:42:38 pm »
Hi clueless
Got my adult colouring book just now. I did not order from eBay but bought this one from Riots Arts & Crafts Shop here in aussie. It's $20 plus the saleslady recommended the Prismacolor Premier Pencils, got the 12 pcs muna kase it's $25 lol!!! Baka magulat hubby ko kung ano itong pinagkakagastusan ko!! :)
A GIRL cherishes handbags, diamonds and her shoe collection as her prized possessions.
A WOMAN cherishes her health, her sense of self, and her talents as her greatest assets.
- N. Mah

Mindy

• It's a bird, it's a plane, it's...
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Back to regular programming
    • Too Much TV
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 01:24:46 pm »
^ i've been seeing a lot of free printables also. Would love to try those sana but i dont have a printer at home. Pero mukhang magastos nga sa printer ink.

I have a friend who stores her free sheets sa USB tapos pa-print na lang sa labas pakonti konti.

Someone told me to check out Copic markers rin daw. Found a local seller on Facebook, but at 5,500 for a set of 24, nakaka-guilty gumastos para lang mag-color. Hahaha!!!

belle_v2g

• not your ordinary
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Our Wedding
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 01:42:42 pm »
Hi mindy, what's so special about Copic why it is that expensive? Lol P5,500 for 24pcs. Ok pa siguro if it's 1000+ colours haha! I only got the prismacolor 12pcs to start with. I might get the whole lot once naisipan ko na kase the 12 colors are so bitin lol!! Wala man lang pink sa range!
- N. Mah

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 06:49:58 pm »
belle_v2g, better for you there in australia because you have a lot more choices there compared to here. i haven't see prismacolor pencils here but i have read good reviews.

the ciao markers are made in japan and are used by manga artists (?). the strokes are not visible daw. this is one i made and if you look at the brown wood planks, the strokes are very visible. i used crayola supertips markers on this. sa copic, that is not visible. or i think maybe that will not be visible woth any marker with a brush tip?

Mindy, P5,500 for 24 is steep nga. what kind of copics are these? and if you don't mind posting the name of the fb seller please, or sending it to me via PM. the ones i am getting are pre-loved, copic ciao set A, P3,500 for 36.

cldy_1981, for markers, i love my sharpies. P400 for a set of 12, P36.50 if bought individually). neon sharpies naman are P290+ for a set of 4. grabe lang mag bleed talaga so if you're not tearing off the pages from the book, be sure to put some sort of protector between pages.

i was also considering the stabilo 68 (fine point) pens (P580+ for a set of 20). these are available at NBS but i only saw them at the glorietta branch.

art attack markers (P160 for a set of 12) and crayola super tips markers (P170+ for a set of 20) were the first sets i bought because i wasn't sure if coloring was something i really wanted to do. na-curious lang naman kasi ako nung una. now that i'm loving it, i am looking to get better markers. :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:56:16 pm by clueless »

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close