This thread is fantastic. There are so many important things to talk about and it really is irrational for me that you don't talk about it just because you're being polite. Coming from a failed 7-year relationship, this is really the root of our breakup. I'm so happy to have the chance to do this over with my partner.
So far, these are what we've talked about:
1. MONEY
I will be migrating so it'll take a while for me to find a job legally. Of course, pwede namang rumaket at sideline here and there, but the income won't be substantial and might not even be considered as secondary source in our household. So my partner is aware na he might be the primary breadwinner for some time. We're looking at a 6-9 month period of my unemployment, so shempre kasama na dun yung paginclude saken sa medical and dental insurance niya at work.
2. DEBT
For sure you're all aware that debt is so common, especially in the US, and I really admire that my partner immediately brought this up when we decided to settle down. He showed me his student loans, his current payment plan, and his expected date of fulfillment. We got to talk about how to work around his debt, if we will use a portion of my severance pay on it para mas madaling matapos, et al. Because of credit scoring in the US, we really have to be more cautious about this especially we want to buy a home. Which brings me to...
3. WHERE TO LIVE
On single income for a time and then student loans, it is far more realistic to assume it will take a while for us to purchase a home. Buti na lang I get along very well with his parents, and their house is relatively big. So we're planning to live there for a couple of years, depending on when I can find a job, before looking to buy a house. We're quite sure nga that his parents will sell us their house because they're retiring already and are planning to live in Davao during the winter. Hindi lang ako comfortable sa sleeping arrangements. Shempre right now they have the master bedroom and we will have the other bedroom. Ano yun, pag binili na namin yung bahay, may downgrade na magaganap? LOL. Sila malilipat sa other room tas kami magmomove in sa master? Kaloka lang, so yeah there. Also, because of the long to do list namin sa buhay, we're also contemplating being nomads. Hahaha.
4. LIFESTYLE
This is actually my partner's major concern. He does Brazilian jiu jitsu, rock climbing, swimming and running. He wants us to have a healthy and active lifestyle, since we're not planning on having kids (more on this later) and he really wants a long and healthy life for us. I mean sino ba naman ang hindi di ba. He wants us to stay grounded, kaya nga ngayon pa lang wedding planning he's already saying that our wedding should reflect the lifestyle we will have together, not a mere grand celebration tapos hindi naman kami ganun mabubuhay. I completely agree with him on this and I think this is something most couples forget, especially during wedding planning. I've read so many stories here on GT (lurker forever) na umaabot sa milyon ang kasal, tapos puro utang naman after. Humility is key talaga, and he was quick to manage my expectation that spending has to be wise and practical, food has to be healthy 80% of the time, and exercise is a must.
5. CHILDREN
This one was so me. Even before we got together I told him to really think about choosing me because I don't want to have kids. Not for anything else, but more for myself. I still want to do so much, travel and do so many more things that I don't want to be the bitter mother or the mother that lives vicariously through the kid. I'm happy that he's onboard, balak din kasi niyang magblack belt sa jiu jitsu, so we'll move constantly so he can train with the right coaches and in the right gyms.
6. RELIGION
I am an INC and he immediately converted. That's the long and short of it. I didn't even have to ask, and I'm pleased na hindi pabalat bunga yung pagcoconvert niya. He's actually turning out to be a more diligent member than I am. Hahaha.
Don't be shy to have these conversations with your partner. Hindi naman kelangan formal pero when you see the opening, TAKE IT! Hahaha. Seriously, there are things that you really have to thresh our and define para talagang you're on the same page. We even went to the extent of defining what is cheating for us, the level of comfort in spicing up our sex life, our mode of contraception, and all that. Don't waste your time not having these conversations just because you think it's taboo or impolite. Clarity is not something you can purchase in the store.
