^ thanks sis for your insights. Very good to hear your parents arrangement worked out fine. However, we can say that there are some families who are not as blessed.
I think you misunderstood me in some points - especially yung hindi pagtanaw ng utang na loob. That's not what I meant, siguro short cut kasi pagkasabi ko. Anyway here it goes.
I guess my point is, we cannot really tell our parents to put themselves first kasi natural tendency is for them to work harder, spend their savings just to give us a good future (which is college degree).
Kapag inuna ng parents ang retirement nila, it does not mean they are being selfish. In fact, they are thinking long term na never nila i-burden ang mga anak nila no matter what. And para sakin, this is one of the best gifts a parent can have for their kids. Imagine mo at your age of 21yo, you have your own life to live and not be obliged to work for your siblings/parents. So sa parents na inuuna ang retirement over kids education (which is very rare by the way in Pinas, parang never heard ko pa nga ata), iniisip din nila ang future ng mga anak nila na all the kids need to do is be able to stand on their own and eventually, hindi i-obliga ng parents yung mga anak nila.
Sa case naman na binuhos nila ang retirement nila to the kids education (minsan nga KID lang, isa lang), it also does not mean they are putting the kids welfare first. As we have seen with some parents, ginagawa nilang milking cow ang first born to fend for the rest of the siblings. Which I think is more selfish.
Pero admittedly, in some other situations naman where parents spend all their money to kids education - ang argument ko naman dito - because that is the best they know how to fend for their kids. May genuine naman talaga na parents na gusto ipag aral ang mga anak and NOT thinking that their kids will eventually feed them lifetime. And I think this is what happened to your parents. They were sincere na igapang kayo sa pag-aaral ninyo because they want the best future for you guys. Hindi para best ang future retirement nila.

Because that's the best way they know how to.
In this case, it may not be an obligation to provide for them but giving back is a simple thank you for whatever hardship they have encountered just to provide for me. I wouldn't be working as an IT professional here in SG if it weren't for their hardwork. 
Agree with you on this. But what if you did not grow up to have such a mindset (say walang utang na loob yung anak sa parents pero wala nang napundar ang parents kasi ginastos na lahat sa education ng mga anak)? Or what if you were not successful, then how?
I have seen families na maayos naman pinalaki ng parents, used up the retirement for kids education, and yet pagkagraduate ng kids - marami puede mangyari. Of course we always pray na huwag naman mangyari ito - pero what if magpass away or na-abuse yung graduate na panganay sa Middle East? (sama man pakinggan but it is a possibility) Or worse, the working panganay passed away first before the parents do? What happens next? Or say, what if hindi naging successful ang kids sa careers nila, paano na?
As for your argument na wala na magagawa kasi matanda na sila, If they took care of us when we were younger until we are mature enough to stand on our own, why not give back and take care of them as well? I really don't want to just leave my mom behind just because I am already grown up.
Sis, this is where I think you misunderstood me. What I meant here when I said "wala na magagawa kasi matanda na sila" is just accept it as it is - we have to support them as they did their best, and they did not know any better. Wala na rin silang magagawa kasi matatanda na sila, too late for them to start their retirement ipon at sinong company ang mag a-accept sa kanila for them to work.
But for us, I still believe we also want to do our best, mas maswerte nga lang tayo kasi di tayo ginawang milking cow ng parents natin. Pero pagdating nga dyan - retirement vs kids education, kanya kanya ngang strategy siguro if ever. So sabi ko sa sarili ko, kung saka sakali I will be in that boat (single mom kasi ako with 2 kids) na I have to choose - of course we need to plan for both pero if ever we need to choose, I will have to seek help from my kids by explaining to them the situation. Help from them na mag aral sila mabuti, if makatrabaho sila ng part time, please do so, etc.
I am not saying not to give back what our parents have done for us. As I have said, aalagaan dapat sila sa abot ng makakaya natin. But what if ikaw mismo and your family, naghihikahos? So how do you provide for your parents if you yourself cannot afford your basic needs? Tapos what if, naka depend sayo ang buong pamilya (with several siblings) but you want to get married na? I am talking about some Filipino families I have seen na parang ang pag-a-abroad nalang ang solution to be able to feed the whole clan. And mind you, hindi lang pag a-abroad, but panghabang buhay na pag-a-abroad at bawal mag asawa; para lang ipagtapos ang mga kapatid at i-sustain ang lifestyle ng parents.
* So in summary, 4 situations can happen. Mamili nalang tayo which outcome we want for us and our families.
1. Perfect Scenario: (I think I am blessed to be in this situation)
Parents send kids to school at may naipon na retirement
- pagkagraduate ng kids, kids stand on their own.
- We hope this happens but it does not often happen, kasi most often Parents need to choose between retirement vs kids education.
2. 2nd ideal scenario: (sis, likewise, you are blessed to be in this situation)
Parents use up retirement funds but was able to send kids to school.
- Kids graduated and had a successful career.
- Kids have to take care of parents.
3. WORST Scenario: (No one would want to be in this position)
Parents use up retirement funds but was able to send kids to school.
- For some reason, kids cannot provide for the parents. San kayo lahat pupulutin?
4. Compromised Scenario: (This is my suggested route to avoid #3 above)
Parents prioritized the retirement fund, kids helped in their own schooling
- Kids graduated man o hindi, can do whatever they want and have the OPTION to take care of parents or not. Kahit successful or hindi successful ang anak, you as a parent can still stand on your own. At kung may extra ka bilang parent, you can also help your kids or others. Remember at this age, you are most likely in your 60s-80s, retiring na, so mahirap na magkaron ng income (unless you have your own biz)' while your kids are still young in their 20s, has a full 40-60 years of future ahead to work for. Kids get to experience and enjoy life, Parents get to enjoy their retirement.