Author Topic: Blood Cord Banking: Stem Cord or Cord Life?  (Read 28891 times)

cldy_1981

• Senior GirlTalker
Blood Cord Banking: Stem Cord or Cord Life?
« on: February 19, 2012, 05:43:35 am »
Hi there sisters! Hubby & I have already decided that we would like to store our baby's blood cord, para lang safe. We believe kasi na its better to pay for sething you wont use than need something & not have it lalo na if its health related.

The blood banking is a tad expensive, that's why up to now kahit sure na kami sa process di pa kami nakakapili among  StemCord & Cord Life (may isa pa eh Kryo Cord ata yun) kug alin sa kanila yung gagamitin namin.

Just want to ask for feedback if there's anyone here who has already gotten their service or kung meron makakapagsabi which might be a better choice?

We met up already with reps for both and shempre sales pitch sila but gusto ko rin makakuha sana ng mas unbaiased opinion or thoughts.

Hope someOne can share :) TIA!
"Loving is not just looking at each other, it's looking in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
Re: Blood Cord Banking: Stem Cord or Cord Life?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »
We got cord life pero 2010 pa. Yung stem cord kasi they have no facility here, unless meron na nagyon. Cord life has a storage facility here and that was basically why we chose it. Cost wise kasi almost same lang daw, we didnt talk to a stem cord rep anymore.

During our time, we paid mga 48k yata initially tapos 8k/year for storage.

When i was admitted to the hospital for CS, my husband called them na to let them know. My OB knew din kasi we informed him, my husband was with me in the OR and siya na din nagdala ng collection kit. Then the cord life people picked up the collected sample on the same day. We got the certificatr i think about a month later. Sasabihin nila if the count is good, etc. my sister, who gave birth to twins, mababa daw yung count for one of the babies so she was asked if they still wanted to store it o hindi na. They chose to store it pa din.

Then nung 1st birthday ng baby ko last year, they sent us the bill for another year of storage.

Ok naman our experience with them. Sana lang ma-maintain nila ng maayos talaga ang facilities nila dito.

It's a good decision. you only have one chance to do this. Our reasons were the same as yours. Lalo pa when my friend lost a 9-year old due to leukemia.

Grayce

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:11:51 pm »
^hubby's brother passed away due to leukemia as well when he was 15. this was also one of our reasons why we were keen on keeping baby's cord blood ever since.

we also chose cord life over stem cord. cord life's technology as far as i can remember is better than stem cord because of the technology they used for cord blood banking. they have a storage facility here in singapore. having said that, we also have an option to ship the cord blood in the philippines if incase we decide to relocate back there and we need the cord blood.
Stalker much?

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »
Up ko Lang 'tong thread

Grayce, better pala ang cord life? what's pushing us in getting them is they have a facility here. Stem cord none yet.

My husband and i had a meeting with Cord Life earlier this am. We're 75% sure we're getting it. Just need to decide before June 30 since they are offering discounted rates til then.

Question to those who availed Cord Life, did you avail the SEPAX r manual processing? malaki-laki din kasi yung 15-20% difference (in terms of harvest count) of SEPAX over the manual

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:38:08 pm »
^ we got SEPAX kasi it increases nga the count.

One of my sister's twins didnt have enough in terms of count. She was asked if they wanted to store the cord blood. If SEPAX has a significant impact on count, it is better to opt for that, imo.

Diane

• Super GirlTalker
  • you're born original, don't die a copy
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:04:46 pm »
nagiincrease ba ang rates nila? who availed this year & how much?

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »
^they have discounted rates until June 30. End of fiscal year nila so siguro naghahabol ng quotas. I don't have the paper they gave me earlier but this is what I can remember for their deferred:

Initial payment upon contract signing - around php 3.5
Deferred payment for 6 mos (starts at delivery) - php 4k
Annual storage fee from age 1-5 - php 14k
Annual storage fee from age 6-17 - php 8k

18yo-onwards it will be a new contract under your kid's name since he/she is considerd of legal age at that time.

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »
Iba na yung terms nila now ah.

Nung 2010, mas mahal if you pay deferred if i remember correctly. We paid 48k initial then 8k/year for 18 years for storage. My sister and i got at the same time so we got a bit of discount.

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »
^hmm I'll try to get the rates from the car. But that's how I remembered It. But yes nag-iba na sila ng rates. They wanted to make it more affordale daw for more people. Pero parang lugi nga with the deferred since for 5years you'll be paying 6k more for the annual storage fee (14k - 8k). That's 30k more!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:25:14 pm by hunny_ally »

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:07 pm »
It's been 2 years since so baka din nagmahal na.

With that new scheme, total payment for 18 years 201k thereabouts. With our scheme 192k thereabouts. Ok na din, i think. Plus i think it's worth it talaga.

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:08:48 pm »
Mali nga pagkakatanda ko. Lol! We were rushing already at this part since it was nearing my daughter's dismissal time. I was just jotting down the figures.

Here's the correct one:

SEPAX deferred:
Upon contract - php 3360
6mos deferred payment that starts at delivery - php 6720 (php 4928 if you opt for manual and not SEPAX)
Annual storage fee age 1-5 - php 14k
Annual storage fee age 6-18 - php 8k

I haven't calculated the actual total but it's written here the total 18yr contract price is php 202k. I think this figure is higher if you opt to pay in installments the one time initial payment of php 28k

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:39:14 pm by hunny_ally »

Diane

• Super GirlTalker
  • you're born original, don't die a copy
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:47:48 pm »
^what is SEPAX?

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
^during the processing of the cord blood, you have the option to do it manually meaning a lab technician will process it (can't remember the exact percentage of harvest count) or use the machine called SEPAX (99% harvest rate).

Like what clueless said if konti Lang nga ang viable stem cords, it makes sense to pay for the more expensive processing to make to get almost all of them

Grayce

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 09:08:32 pm »
^yes mas ok cordlife. teka hindi ba standard dyan ang SEPAX? dito kasi oo
Stalker much?

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »
^yup not a standard inclusion, may add-on rate of 8k + vat.

Hay parang insurance 'to ano? Something you hope you won't use but as much as possible if dumating ka sa point na kailangan mo, it's good to have it.

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 01:26:40 am »
^^ grayce, hindi nga standard ang SEPAX. kami din noon, it was offered to us as an option lang.

^ sadly, yes. something that i think is worth paying for but i pray that we never ever have to use it. but given that you only have one chance to do this, i think it is an opportunity we shouldn't miss.

10k din pala ang diff if you pay in full vs deferred based on the rates you gave. i wonder why they made the initial payment lower but increased the first 5 years from 8k to 14k. maybe to make it more affordable nga at the start. sign up ka na. :)

Grayce

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 01:46:18 am »
^^ooh i never knew SEPAX is optional pa pala dyan. and here it's until 21yrs old. satin kasi 18 ang legal age. but you know IMO it's worth it since not only your baby can use it but also for family members just incase something happens.

and i think its also good that they made the payment scheme lower to make it somehow more affordable. hindi rin kasi biro maglabas ng more than 30k ng isang bagsakan.
Stalker much?

m_lim

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 09:45:04 am »
girls, may few questions ako:

ano ano mga pwede pag gamitan ng cord blood?

may discount ba kung full payment?

after paying for 18years, tuloy tuloy pa rin ang bayad? until when?

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 09:51:32 am »
For cordlife yes. If you opt for the full 18-yr plan you will only pay php 160k. This plan no need to pay for the annual storage fee. Covered na siya.

Until only 18yrs old since that's the legal age dito sa atin. In SG, like what Grayce said, it's 21yo. Once the baby is of legal age, he/she can decide to continue with the contract. If he/she decides to do so, the new contract will be under his/her name and no longer under the mother's
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:53:51 am by hunny_ally »

m_lim

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:57 am »
thanks sis! for life ba ang bayad dito? for the storage?

Latest Stories

Max Collins and Pancho Magno's Emotional, Heartfelt Wedding Vows

Max Collins and Pancho Magno exchanged their "I dos" in a Christian ceremony at the Manila Marriott Hotel, earlier today, December 11.
Load More Stories
Close