Author Topic: Blood Cord Banking: Stem Cord or Cord Life?  (Read 34476 times)

clueless

• Super GirlTalker
    • babytopia.ph
Re: Blood Cord Banking: Stem Cord or Cord Life?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »
^ for as long as you want to store it, you have to pay. But that's better than having to stop paying because you need to use it diba? :)

A lot of blood diseases have been proven to be cured by this, like some types of leukemia. There are articles also that cases of cerebral palsy have improved because of this.

Another good thing is if say a sibling needs it, ot doesnt hav to be a 100% match daw, not sure lang what percentage. But my friend who lost her 9 year old to leukemia was hoping for this. The child went on remission then had a relapse, sakto my friend found out she was pregnant with her 4th child. The 2 other children were tested to see if they can donate blood marrow to their ate, they were a perfect match but to each other and not to the sick child. So my friend decided on cord blood banking hoping her new baby's cord blood will her her ate. But she didnt make it. She died i think a month before the baby was born. :(

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 01:01:05 pm »
4 out of 6 markers. Unlike bone marrow, 6/6
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:33:45 am by hunny_ally »

m_lim

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 02:03:35 pm »
thanks mga sis. sulit na rin pala. for less than 10thou per month after 18yrs old. lalo na ngayon talagang uso mga sakit sakit.

cldy_1981

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 11:31:17 am »
personally my husband & I opted to go with StemCord rather than Cord Life. Most of the people we know banked with Stem Cord and we felt more secure since they personally gave us feedback on the handling of Stem Cord.

One of the friends who recommended, her father had cancer & the founder of Stemcord was his doctor and very good yung overall experience in terms of expertise and care.

Mas mabigat yung payment scheme nila since di pwede yung defered na 6 months for the initial payment as compared to Cord Life but overall we do not regret our decision. :)
"Loving is not just looking at each other, it's looking in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

m_lim

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 02:58:43 pm »
^magkano sa stem cord?

cldy_1981

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 04:40:09 pm »
If I remember correctly its P56K for first year payment - Pwede naman installment but it was broken down to 3 monthly payments lang from time of sign-up unlike Cord Life na 6 months.

We signed up march 3 so first pmt, then again on april 3 & final pmt on May 3.

For the first 5 years parang its P10K++ then every year after that P8k++

We liked that Stem Cord sent a RN to talk to us, although shempre comparing her to the person who spoke with us from Cord Life shempre mas magaling magbenta yung taga Cord Life kasi nga sales sya pero kami kasi feeling namin this is a medical procedure we're paying for so parang mas kampante kami that they're employing medical professionals to talk to potential customers. Chaka again personally I got a bit turned off with Cord Life na nag-sa-sale sila ng price... I just find it weird. Again ako lang yun.

Another reason why we chose to get Stem Cord is bec. in case we migrate to Canada or US or live in Europe there's a medical arrangement na pwede lang mag-pa-ship ng organ (and stem cord blood is considered an organ) from certain countries and Singapore is part of that list while the Phils is not.

Ultimately choice naman yan ng parent what they feel will work for them :)
"Loving is not just looking at each other, it's looking in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

m_lim

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 11:14:12 pm »
may friend ako nagpa store sa Cord Life kaso nacontaminate daw yunv cord blood pero pina store pa rin nila.

hindi rin niya alam anong reason.

may naka experience na ba nito?

Grayce

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 03:18:21 am »
^pwede nila kasuhan cord life for that if I'm not mistaken, mishandling yan. and your friend should've talked to cord life regarding that and alamin ang reason, cord blood banking is not cheap pa naman.

^^it's the same with cord life, yung sa shipping ng cord blood to other countries but at your own expense :)
Stalker much?

cldy_1981

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 07:09:02 am »
^really? kasi we were told not by a rep from either companies but a doctor friend as well as a friend from WHO that for the US /Canada may list sila ng countries na ina-allow lang nila mag-pasok ng organ donations and the Phils is not part of the list while SNG is and Cord Life is based here (they store here) and Stem Cord is based in SNG mas feasible daw yun  ;)

^^We saw the storage facility of Cord Life in UP TechnoHub... Uhhhhmmm di naman sya madumi or anything pero di rin sya parang super sterile lab na parang sa hospital... actually comment ng husband ko parang kitchen lang daw na malinis na malinis. hehe  ::) Pero bad trip yung nangyari sa friend mo... more than the money you paid its the fact na nawala na yung chance mo to store your baby's blood cord :o >:(, eh one time thing lang sya. What did they do?

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 07:34:40 am »
If we'd want to relocate in US, Canada or in Europe no chances of sending the cord blood there (in the event we will need it) if it will come from Philippines? Hmm it looks like that will be our plan in the near future. I'll clear this up with my rep

cldy_1981

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 06:09:34 pm »
^ally: suggest you clarify nga, kasi one of our considerations din yun... :) if your AO Melvin? hehe :)

Grayce

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 01:45:05 am »
cldy_1981, yan nga rin ang alam ko walang storage facility ang stem cord dyan, dito pa ata sa SIN (please correct me if I'm wrong as we've spoken to their rep 2yrs ago pa).

^^ally, better clear it up with your rep. but i think if it's from cord life naman and knowing they have this US certified accreditations I think it'll be feasible to transfer the cord blood to EU or US/Canada.
Stalker much?

cldy_1981

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 02:41:32 am »
^grayce: yup still the same case. Both their storage faciities are still in sng. :)

Banff

• GirlTalker
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 12:19:07 am »
We got from stemcord  :) :)

ramnikki

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 05:41:47 pm »
Hi. Cord blood banking really is an investment lalo na it's health-related. My friend availed the service with StemCord and she seemed happy with her decision. Also heard about Cordlife and I've read naman good feedback din. :) After making few research on both, they are accredited naman (though differently) by organizations relating to cord bloods. StemCord by FACT-NetCord while Cordlife by AABB. I also had time to look up on those two organizations and mukhang mas credible ang FACT-NetCord.

You can read more info here: http://stem-health.eu/directed/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154&Itemid=107

AABB - http://www.aabb.org
FACT - http://www.factwebsite.org/
NetCord - http://www.netcord.org/

Hope that helps! :)

mummsie tina

• Probationary
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 05:14:24 pm »
Hello Mga sis!I agree that cord blood banking is an investment, more than sa kids natin - for our own peace of mind.  :)  At least that's what made me decide to bank my daughter's cord blood, thinking in the event that my kid gets sick... I'm sure she has access to new age treatment.

While I also heard about Stemcord, I banked with CordLife out of a trusted friend's reco (also banked with CordLife) plus I did my research at that time din. Maganda track record nila sa stem cell transplantation plus strict talaga standards (AABB) making sure my baby's cord blood is safe and will be useful in the future.

So far so good. Wala naman akong naging problem from day 1. They have very good service from the time that their consultant offered us their service, until I gave birth to my princess and they collected my baby's blood kit. :)

Actually now I am expecting again (boy this time) :) Just to be sure I also set an appointment with Stemcord recently (sshh) just to compare the price and turned out CordLife's price is better. Was able to get a good discount. Yey!

Hope sharing this personal experience helps.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:17:05 pm by mummsie tina »

m_lim

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 06:12:00 pm »
^how much sa Cordlife? at pano ang payment scheme nila?

ideally, how many months before ng due date dapat mag book?

akiteklea

• GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 11:08:02 am »
sana buhay itong thread na ito. =)

Ni meeting namin ang stemcord and cordlife pareho, in different times  ah. at first OK na si husband to get cordlife, pero marami siyang naririnig na balita reg the contamination of blood dahil sa third party na courier nila. supposedly, the lifespan of the blood is 48 hours lang daw, minsan hindi agad na-pipick up ng courier sa hospital ayun contaminated. at hindi pala sila laging on call 24/7.

sa stemcord naman, mas mahal ng around 48k in 21 years compare sa cordlife. pinag-isipan mabuti ni husband, compute compute, muni muni at ayun we ended up getting the stemcord. mas expensive pero mas sigurado ka.

1. they store the blood in 2 hospitals in singapore, kapag need mo na yung blood in 48 hours kaya nilang irealease, unlike sa cord blood, it will take two-weeks.
2. 24/7 on call. prior to giving birth, tawagan mo na sila, nasa hospital na agad ang agent. they will get the blood from you/your husband immediately then shipped to singapore in less than 6 hours.
3. marami silang freezer compared to cord blood na iisa lang at UP technohub.

hindi ko naman sinisiraan ang cordlife (sa mga mommies na kumuha na). yung mga sinasabi ko lang is yung mga positive points why my husband decided to get stemcord. ang importante lang naman is to get/save the blood from the placenta for future use. 

medyo late na nga kami nag-decide eh. ni-meet lang namin sila on my 35th week, then decided to purchase on my 36th week. now, nasa amin na yung kit kasama nung baby bag at mommy bag ko. =)

Grayce

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 12:27:43 pm »
^if healthy pregnancy i dont think its late na tsaka kayo nagdecide. i think during my time i was 34-35weeks na ata tsaka kami nag avail ng cord life. whereas to the points you pointed out specially with the storage and transport, hmmm, that's very odd, kasi during my time, it is an SOP for the agent to go to the hospital ASAP to get the cordblood. ang weird naman ng cordlife dyan if the case is napapabayaan nila na d napipickup agad. medical malpractice yan and they can get sued for that.
Stalker much?

design21

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 03:06:39 pm »
I am just curious mommies, what if a family member like for example ( cancer) needed and they matched, are there doctors here in our country who is competent and  knows how to treat with this new technology? Or I have to fly out para sa procedure?
Pray, Hope and Dont Worry

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close