My fiance and I attended Discovery Weekend last June and it was a good experience.
I would not say that it's a 'must' to experience this, but wala namang mawawala if you and your husband-to-be will attend. At the very least, you'll have your pre-cana ticked off on your to-do list.
To be honest, at the start, my fiance and I were not very productive with our discussions, kase parang sapilitan. You'll be given topics to discuss about, and hindi namin masyadong feel. Pilit na pilit, we're discussing for the sake of discussing kase sabi ni chaplain. At the start the topics weren't 'urgent' or as important kase. As the seminar progressed and the topics became more serious, hala, ayan na, pag-usapan natin to. That's when we started to dialogue na talaga.
I enjoyed the couples-sharing, I love to hear stories about married life from real couples.
What I liked best about it was that after the seminar, we are more sure than ever before that we're meant to be together. And I'm proud to say, most of the topics na-discuss sa Discovery Weekend, and most of the topics they asked us to dialogue about, my fiance and I have already talked about previously on our own. We were feeling mighty good about ourselves after that. But still, we learned a lot.
As for board and lodging, okay naman, no complaints. They exceeded my expectations pa nga, because in the email Lala sent, parang we were being 'warned' about the food and room. Okay naman, food was good (lutong-bahay, served family-style) and the rooms were clean. No need na to bring extra pillow and blanket, unless you need more than one. Towel is not provided.
And yes, I know of couples who called off their weddings after DW. But that's a blessing in disguise, kaysa naman nagtuloy sila.
Warning lang, there are cheesy parts. If like us, you're not the type, don't worry, it won't kill you. Oh, and bring insect repellent. If you smoke, bring an ample supply of cigarettes, haha!
Overall, I would recommend this. Kinukuwento ko nga sa mga soon-to-wed friends ko to sign up.