Author Topic: Suggestions on Progressive Schools  (Read 137965 times)

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
Re: Suggestions on Progressive Schools
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 11:33:52 pm »
My son went to The Learning Tree pre school and fortunately got into TLT Grade School. My daughter is also in TLT preschool now. Not all kids or families for that matter bagay sa progressive schools as well as traditional schools just aren't for some kids as well.

I remember there was a child incoming grade 1 and even if he was a great reader and passed the entrance test to grade school, his family was advised to take him to a traditional school. His way of learning daw kasi is more apt there as opposed to the methods in a progressive school.

blackberryqueen

• GirlTalker
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2011, 12:45:07 am »
I'm in the process of choosing between John Dewey and Kinderhaus for my 3-year-old son.  I've been reading good reviews about Kinderhaus, wala pa gaano sa John Dewey, pero mas malapit naman samin JD.  What do you think mga sis?  Mas ok na nga kaya Kinderhaus?

Sis, have you tried checking out Gingerbread House of Learning? It's within the vicinity of JD din.
When God closes a door, He opens a window.. and knocks down the wall :)

stormy

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »
^^i agree sis. Kahit kasi gusto ko na sa progressive school ang daughter ko mas naging happy sya nung pinasok ko sa traditional school. Pero naghahanap pa rin ako ng progressive school sa makati area.

jaiaquino

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Aching to be a full time mom to my Mckenzie Bianca
    • McKenzie's Little Shop
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 10:12:26 am »
ako din, i'm looking for an affordable progressive school in makati. so far, mukhang KIDS ang pasok sa budget ko. sana meron pa ibang options.

oktoberfest22

• Aggrieved.
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 10:19:12 am »
Meron po bang progressive school sa Monumento, Kalookan area?

Most progressive schools are in Quezon City. Sana magkaron rin sa bandang north. Stressful naman kasi mag travel everyday.

Pls advise if you know any. Thanks!

I think ang pinakamalapit na would be JASMS along EDSA, beween SM North Edsa and Quezon Ave. Sorry ha, alam ko medyo malayo pa rin. But a friend of mine who resides in Valenzuela/Bulacan area sends her twin boys there. Tyinatyaga nila kahit malayo  :)
Be careful. Big Brother is watching...

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 11:59:30 am »
Jai, the son of my officemate went to KIDS.  Mukhang okay naman, the boy is now in LSGH.

jaiaquino

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Aching to be a full time mom to my Mckenzie Bianca
    • McKenzie's Little Shop
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 11:10:29 am »
thanks, marose!

bluegreen717

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 05:10:12 pm »
Here's a blog post I came across last year. Do note that Teacher Vic was exaggerating in some parts and sarcastic in a few others. But I do agree with most of his points: kids being exhausted all the time (my daughter used to drink Red Bull to get her through exams week), rote memorization, etc.

The comments mirror most parents' feelings about progressive education. For me, this section is the most important. A lot of points were considered here.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: No, it's not true that homework and tutoring is forbidden in progressive schools. (Kahit saan, meron 'nyan.)

http://kidsahoy.multiply.com/journal/item/53

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:24 am »
My son went to The Learning Tree pre school and fortunately got into TLT Grade School. My daughter is also in TLT preschool now. Not all kids or families for that matter bagay sa progressive schools as well as traditional schools just aren't for some kids as well.

I remember there was a child incoming grade 1 and even if he was a great reader and passed the entrance test to grade school, his family was advised to take him to a traditional school. His way of learning daw kasi is more apt there as opposed to the methods in a progressive school.

who advised the family sis? Yung progressive school where the kid took the entrance exam?

Can you give some traits that determines that the child is more apt to trad school methods?

Thanks!

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 10:16:22 am »
one more question mommies, hindi ba issue sa inyo yung religious education sa school? we are catholic kasi and both of us (hubby and i) were raised sa catholic school, and i am hoping our children will also learn those teachings in grade school.

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 05:52:46 pm »
^ Important sa akin ang Catholic formation and that is why even if I am interested to send my children to a non-traditional (i.e., Montessori) grade school, napapaisip ako.  I am a product of a Catholic school and masasabi kong maganda ang experience ko pati na ang spiritual formation ko because of that.  That's why siguro when push comes to shove, my husband and I will most likely choose a Catholic boys' school.

Pero, nasa magulang naman ang tamang pagtuturo ng Catholic doctrines, although it really helps a lot kung pati sa school they observe Catholic traditions like First Friday Mass, Mass on special feasts, etc. 

May mga alam din akong convents na nagtuturo ng catechism sa students on weekends.  May isa sa Loyola Heights.  So puwedeng option ito kung ipapasok ko nga sa Montessori, not Ateneo, ang mga anak ko.

emeenem

• Senior GirlTalker
    • Mommy Approved
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »
Oo nga pala. Wala bang montessori or progressive based schools na may halong catholic teachings?

blueberrycheesecake

• GirlTalker
    • I am bloggerhappy.
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2011, 05:55:29 pm »
I read at their website that "..THE LEARNING TREE’s Christian orientation ... affirms the vision of the educational system." I'm eyeing this school for my daughter for her big school kasi I heard yung ibang graduates ng preschool (progressive din) nya now dun ang big school.

Or yung The Nest. :)
Anyway, let me share this article I found:
http://teachertinasblog.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/are-you-a-traditional-parent-in-a-progressive-school/

The article made me realized I'm 100% for progressive. Was never bothered by the sample Qs. ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:15:14 pm by blueberrycheesecake »
I am bloggerhappy and berryscrappy.
Free wordpress themes here and here.

emeenem

• Senior GirlTalker
    • Mommy Approved
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2011, 08:08:09 pm »
sa QC din pala yung Nest :(

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12:13 pm »
@ blueberry cheesecake, my kids go to the learning tree. If you mean big school is post preschool, yes but it's a rather small school ha. The preschool is different location from the grade school. It's a Christian school but even if you are not, it's ok. Just so you're informed. Let me know if you have further questions.

emeenem

• Senior GirlTalker
    • Mommy Approved
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2011, 08:19:41 pm »
san po yung preschool ng LT?

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2011, 08:23:43 pm »
^ TLT preschool is in La Salle st. QC. Near Aurora blvd.

emeenem

• Senior GirlTalker
    • Mommy Approved
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2011, 08:26:05 pm »
thanks carmel! malayo pa rin pala. :)

blueberrycheesecake

• GirlTalker
    • I am bloggerhappy.
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2011, 09:00:51 pm »
@ blueberry cheesecake, my kids go to the learning tree. If you mean big school is post preschool, yes but it's a rather small school ha. The preschool is different location from the grade school. It's a Christian school but even if you are not, it's ok. Just so you're informed. Let me know if you have further questions.

Yey, a parent from the school. Wala kasi akong kilala pwede matanungan. Yes big school, I meant grade school na. I have a question actually, konti kasi ang photos/info sa website, do they do cooking activities ba kahit grade school? When I checked the nest's blog kasi parang may cooking activities, yun kasi fave ng anak ko gawin kaya parang mas na-attract tuloy ako sa Nest. Saka lahat ba ng field trip magtatanim sila?  :P
I am bloggerhappy and berryscrappy.
Free wordpress themes here and here.

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2011, 09:17:45 pm »
^ I don't think they have regular cooking classes. Its a regular school their grade school. They have been operational for more than 25 years. One of the first progressive school in the country. It's better to have a school visit if you're interested but application is finished for this school year.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close