Author Topic: Suggestions on Progressive Schools  (Read 138028 times)

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
Re: Suggestions on Progressive Schools
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2011, 07:58:25 pm »
^grade school media mahirap kasi limited ang students na inaaccept. I think theyarevery strict with age lalo pag boys dapat 7 or 6.5 atleas by June of that school year for grade 1

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2011, 08:00:13 am »
@Carmel, can you tell us the advantages of a small, elementary, non-traditional school?  What are the things you like most about it?

My boys will be in prep in two years and up to now, 50-50 pa rin ako whether to send them to a traditional boys' school or a non-traditional (not progressive but Montessori type) grade school.  Halos same lang ang tuition fee so I really want to get a first-hand account from a mom who chose the non-traditional path.

@Jai, it's true.  Ang daming progressive schools here in QC and we QC residents are spoilt for choices.   ;D

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2011, 12:46:54 pm »
@^Marose. I feel it still depends on the school, the teachers even pa rin. Even the progressive schools have differences. The decision to go to a small big school was tough considering everyone thought TLT was just a preschool choice and the real school would be Ateneo or La Salle. Hehe. So, I have to contend with the why there? If I don't wanna get into it,I just say kasi Sharonian ako! Wahaha.
Anyway, for boys lalo they say they will thrive more in a traditional school with bigger and better facilities for sports and there's school sports competition. But I thought, my son isn't so into sports. TLT grade school is a lot tougher than what people expect academically. The kids are pretty serious about school work since the time is very short so, mas directed and focused. The filler subjects aren't taught so Hindi kalat. Yun basics Lang. Extra curricular is done after regular school hours. Zero tolerance for bullying. Yun ang fear ko with big schools, teachers tend to look the other way when there's bullying since they feel it's part of school life or it's just too rampant kakapagod siguro.
You're right QC has a lot of progressive schools. Now that we've transferred out of QC we still decided to continue on at our school because it suits our kids' personalities. I've never had a problem of my kids not wanting to go to school. If they are absent they feel it's punishment. Haha. And even for the graduates of TLT who are now in Pisay or QC Science, when I asked them if they liked going to TLT they said yes. They had very good school experiences and not the barkada kalokohan type but they can enumerate the fun school activities they took part in. I gauged my decision on that too,how the graduates felt about the school who have similar family background to us.
Hope this helps.

jaiaquino

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Aching to be a full time mom to my Mckenzie Bianca
    • McKenzie's Little Shop
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2011, 01:27:37 pm »
@mommyniuja: sa Kids In Day School (KIDS), P60k daw yata ang tuition. i have yet to hear reviews that are not too good regarding the quality of teaching and teachers there. i guess my only issue is their location. bahain kasi yun area na yun pero ang sabi naman, hindi bumabaha dun mismo sa street nila.

i've considered several schools na kasi like mother goose, appleseed, toddlers, etc and KIDS na ang pinakamalapit sa hinahanap ko in a school. mother goose kasi they have play time where they bring the kids to the salcedo playground which i'm not too comfortable with. sa appleseed naman, grabe ang tuition pero i'm not particularly happy with their curriculum. i have a friend who sent her kids there na considered not ready for grade 1 ng big school after 2 years of being enrolled there. toddlers naman ok din pero their branch here at makati is medyo kulang sa schedule for my daughter's age group. gusto ko sana sa morning kaso afternoon lang meron.

@carmel, marose: we are seriously considering moving back to QC because of that! hay... i really wish magkaroon sila ng branch sa makati.

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2011, 09:38:45 pm »
carmel, since you have mentioned you asked TLT grads who went to Pisay and QC science na I think traditional? (am i right?) hindi ba sila nahirapan sa transition from progressive grade school then bigla tarditional pagka-HS?

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »
Carmel, your statement about your kids feeling it is a punishment when they're absent struck me.  A co-parent of mine at Family Montessori has a child in grade 2 at Centro Montessori and he said that his kid feels sad whenever classes are cancelled because of a typhoon or a holiday because he wants to go to school.  Super interested daw ang anak niya sa school and sobrang enthusiastic about their lessons.  That says a lot about the school, right?  I have not yet met a parent or a student who isn't raving about Centro.

Most of the kids at Centro go to a traditional school for high school and there are several who make it to Pisay also.  In terms of school work, they may even be more advanced than the traditional schools around the area. I also like the fact that Montessori kids in general are very independent, inquisitive and self-reliant.  That's why I am seriously considering it.

On the other hand,  Ateneo is Ateneo.  It has a lovely campus, lots of choices for sports (I can see my kids' interest in sports this early) and a Jesuit formation, which to me is very important.  Also, most of my friends who sent their boys to Ateneo said that despite the traditional set-up, bullying, big class size and loads of homework, they are happy with the education that their child got from the school.

@Jai, one of my main considerations in choosing where to live is the vicinity of schools I like.  Although both me and my husband work in Makati, we chose to live where we live now because I really prefer the schools in the North hehe.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:55:04 pm by marose17 »

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2011, 12:50:23 am »
@^marose, the thing about schools naman is that you can always transfer if it doesn't pan out, di sya parang kasal na til death do us part. Hehe. Unless interesado ka sa loyalty award! Haha. Anyway, mahirap talaga. I'm thinking of sending my daughter to  poveda also. Like you said it's a traditional school but progressive curriculum. I always have a big school choice for my kids even with my eldest. It was Xavier sana but he wanted Ateneo dahil sa dami ng tao telling and expecting him to go there. It's really a tough choice. I'm considering sending my daughter to Poveda for a year to gauge where she will really flourish. No harm trying naman.

mommynin8

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2011, 09:12:50 am »
hi i'm a mom of a preschooler trying to look for a progressive school within paranaque (near betterliving subd sana).  i know that there's a philippine christian school of tomorrow (an option), but could there be others with good feedback that can be options too?

both me and hubby are graduates of catholic schools (i'm from malate catholic, he's from don bosco), but we're looking into giving my son another option.  if it's better for him to be in a progressive school then that's what we'd give him.

@carmel, my boss studied in poveda - another plus is that kids from poveda are taught spanish from kinder onwards... 
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but because conscience tells one it is right.

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46:46 am »
^yes. A lot of our family members went to Poveda. Was supposed to go there myself but they didn't accept transferrees at the time we inquired. Hehe

emeenem

• Senior GirlTalker
    • Mommy Approved
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2011, 07:52:40 pm »
how much kaya ang tuition fee sa Poveda preschool? How about sa Grade school?

m i k m i k

• RN, loving mom and a
  • GirlTalker
  • Makeup Noob && MD in the making! :)
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2011, 10:59:42 pm »
Mga sis, san yun TLT?
LOVE ME OR HATE ME, IT'S STILL AN OBSESSION.

oktoberfest22

• Aggrieved.
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2011, 10:32:53 pm »
^ The Learning Tree preschool dept is in Cubao. Grade school is in Sikatuna Village, QC (near Kamias and Anonas)
Be careful. Big Brother is watching...

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2011, 12:15:11 am »
@mimic, TLT preschool is in La Salle street near Aurora Blvd. Grade school is in V.Luna ext. Sikatuna.

m i k m i k

• RN, loving mom and a
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:39 am »
ah okay! ; ) thanks mga sis!

chesky

• Probationary
  • I thank God for a beautiful life and family.
Re: Looking for a Progressive School . . .
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2011, 02:17:42 am »
hi sisses! my name is chesky and im new her in GT. i joined suddenly because im desperately looking for schools, 2 schools actually, one progressive school and the other would be a SPED school. i kids would be going to school this june but i haven't chosen the suitable school for them yet.

for progressive schools that cater to regular children i already checked raya, builders school and gingerbread. for the SPED school, we already have visited 3 schools but they can't accommodate my child because they're already full. i still have to visit what my son's developmental pedia recommended bloomfields learning circle. is anybody familiar with the school? i found their website and read some interesting reviews but im yet to meet them today.

www.bloomfieldslearningcircle.com

does anybody know other schools that offer progressive AND/ OR SPED? please enlighten me so i'll have backup in case it still is not suitable.

“Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs... since the payment is pure love.”
-Mildred B. Vermont

junichi406

• Your Premium Choice
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • JGK
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2011, 09:10:30 pm »
Progressive schools are cool. Better than general schools. Better quality

m i k m i k

• RN, loving mom and a
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2011, 10:48:11 pm »
COLF located in San Juan :)

ahanihabi

• GirlTalker
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2011, 08:21:20 am »
Visit this site: preschoolchoices.com
It is a directory of preschools in the metro, which includes teaching method, tuition fee ranges, and contact information.
Hope this helps.

bluish_mommy

• ako ang bluish na
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2011, 03:35:37 pm »
@mommynin8, sis, where you able to scout for a progressive school in better living? pa-share naman :-) thanks!

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »
^ Sis, may reply ako sa kabilang thread.

One progressive school in the south that's highly recommended is The Bridge School.  Is it near your place?

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close