These days, manicures are less of a luxury and more of a necessity. After all, there's nothing remotely appealing about holding hands with your man or shaking the hands of people you meet only for them to see your grungy nails. Length is also an important issue here—leave the talons to dragon ladies! Instead, opt for relatively short nails in a square-oval shape. When it comes to polish, though, go wild. Blood red, glittery purple, matte black, hot pink—in this day and age, anything goes.
No time to trek to your favorite nail salon? No problem! Here's a simple tutorial that will have you flashing those digits in no time.
Looking to buy? Use this store directory for easy shopping:
- Deborah Lipman and Essie are available at Rustan's Department Stores in Makati, Shangri-la Plaza Mall, Alabang Town Center, Gateway, and Ayala Center Cebu.
- MAC is available at Power Plant Mall, Shangri-la Plaza, Glorietta 3, and Marionnaud SM Mall of Asia.
- Max Factor is available at leading department stores and beauty stores nationwide.
- Orly is available at Purebeauty Serendra, Marionnaud SM Mall of Asia, First Aid Greenbelt, PCX Rockwell, PCX Ermita, PCX Alabang Town Center, Watsons Greenbelt 5, Watsons Ayala Cebu, Beauty by SM at SM Makati, Beauty by SM at SM Megamall, Beauty by SM at SM Fairview, Landmark-Trinoma, Beauty Cocktails Glorietta 4, and Robinsons Department Store Ermita.
(First published in the September 2008 issue of Marie Claire Philippines, Beauty Tutor section as "The DIY Manicure;" model photos by Dix Perez; adapted for use in Female Network)
Want more nail polish picks? Check out these galleries:
- Party Polish: Over 40 Nail Varnishes for Fancy Fingers
- Nail It: Over 40 Polishes for Pretty Tips and Toes
And for more beauty tutorials, browse through these links:
- Specs Appeal: 5 Easy Steps to Beautifully Framed Eyes + Over 30 Products to Try
- Natural Flush: 4 Steps to a Cheeky Glow + 20 Blushes to Try
- Get Your Glow On: 5 Steps to a Fresh Face