If you want to give your tresses a break from the curling iron, then this tutorial is for you. We teach you how to create soft curls with the help of an unsuspecting item: a t-shirt! Genius, right? Scroll down to learn how to do this clever technique.
1. Grab a soft, old t-shirt
2. Twist it.
3. Shape it into a halo and secure with a rubber band.
4. For best results, start with damp hair, but you can cheat with a few drops of setting lotion or a dollop of mousse.
5. Place the twisted shirt on top of your head, and brush a one-inch section of hair to get rid of tangles.
6. Prepare to insert the section of hair into the halo.
4 to 6. Wrap said section of hair onto the t-shirt for as many times as it takes, and fasten with a hairpin.
7 to 8. Coil the rest of your hair around the shirt until you've finished the whole head.
9. Sleep on it, or set curls for approximately five hours. (Tip: If you want your setting time to be faster, spritz each section with hair spray before coiling.)
10. Remove the elastic band from the shirt.
11. Slowly remove the shirt from the head.
12. Unravel the curls, and finger-comb them to make them look natural. Lock the waves in with a few mists of hair spray.
You wouldn't believe a t-shirt produced these soft, bouncy curls!
Produced by: Ira Nopuente; Photography: Mike Dee; Makeup by Ara Fernando; Hair by G Mande; Model: Lou Yanong