The days have started to heat up, which means it’s time to shed your trusted jeans and leggings for gam-baring dresses, skirts, and shorts. Shaving may be the default choice when gearing up for leg-baring pieces, but salon owners say more and more women would rather wax their legs than shave because it takes at least two weeks for hair to start growing back, and even when it does, it appears finer than the coarse, stubby growth that returns after shaving. Contrary to its reputation, waxing can be a tolerable, even comfortable, process. “Taking a pain reliever 30 minutes to an hour before the procedure lessens the pain,” shares Fiona Hilario of Lay Bare Waxing Salon.
Ready to flaunt those lovely legs of yours? Here’s a DIY tutorial you can try in the comforts of your own home, plus waxing products to check out. For best results, have two to three weeks' worth of hair (1/4 inch of hair) so that the wax has something to adhere to.
Looking to buy? Use our store directory for easy shopping:
- Aromacology Sensi is available at Fairview Center Mall. You may also inquire at 09088630715 or through email@example.com.
- Andrea is available at Beauty Bar stores nationwide. Check this store directory for the branch nearest you.
- Body Natur is available at Rustan's Deptartment Stores, Pioneer Center, Landmark Department Stores, Cash & Carry, Makati Supermart, Puregold, Unimart, and PCX.
- Cyleina and Epilin are available at Watsons stores nationwide.
- Sally Hansen and Veet are available at PCX stores in Power Plant Mall, Greenbelt 3, Alabang Town Center, and Festival Supermall; Watsons stores; and leading department stores nationwide.
- Strip It! is available online at stripit.multiply.com; at Sesou Nature Source stores in Trinoma, Glorietta 3, Market! Market!, and Alabang Town Center; and through various resellers.
- Strip Tease is available online at stripteaseit.com; at SM Megamall, SM Makati, and SM City Manila weekend bazaars; at ABS-CBN Green Friday Market; and through various resellers.
For more beauty tutorials for the summer, browse through these galleries:
- Light, Bright, and Easy: 5 Carefree Beauty Looks to Try
- How to Get a Faux Tan + 20 Tanners and Bronzers
- Loud Lips: 5 Steps to a Punchy, Pretty Pout
- Natural Flush: 4 Steps to a Cheeky Glow + 20 Blushes to Try
(First published in the March 2008 issue of Marie Claire Philippines, Beauty Tutor section as "Waxing;" model photos by Dix Perez; hair and makeup by Aizza Reyes; model: Bea Soriano; adapted for use in Female Network)