From L to R: Larry, Angela, Art, Hazel, and Raffy
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Not only have the Fab Five contestants lost weight after joining the show; their outlooks in life have also changed for the better. In an interview with ABS-CBNNews.com, the competitors looked back at their struggle with obesity as they are growing up.
Hazel Chua, who gained her spot in the Fab Five after winning against fellow ex-contestants, says she's been overweight since she was in fourth grade. "Hindi ko na-experience my whole life kung paano maging normal na teenager kasi growing up lahat panunukso and everything," she is quoted as saying. Now the show has given her a second chance at life--and her first at love.
Raffy Tan, who met Hazel on the show and eventually became her boyfriend, shares a similar story. He weighed around 170 pounds in sixth grade, and the number just kept going up from there. "Nung year 2006, dun ako nag-220 pounds, tapos pataas na ng pataas hanggang na-reach ko yung 280 plus."
Meanwhile, Angela Lupangco says she weighs less now than she did when she got married and when she was in high school. She joined The Biggest Loser because she had problems getting pregnant and was ecstatic a few weeks ago when the doctors told her she was ovulating.
As for contestants Art Mendoza and Larry Martin, gaining weight sent their lives on a downward spiral. Art, who admits he's had trouble with his weight since he was young, says he actually trained abroad before and kept himself fit, but upon his return to the country, he gained all the weight back--and even piled on some extra pounds.
For Larry, who was once a policeman, his dramatic increase in weight made him lose his self-respect. "Puro inom, bisyo, ganun. Kaya siguro naabuso ko rin sarili ko na tumaba ako nang tumaba. Pero kasalanan ko kasi respeto ko sa sarili ko nawala (I drank a lot and indulged in other vices. Maybe it was also because I kept abusing myself that I gained more and more weight. But it's really my fault that I lost respect in myself)," he is quoted as saying. With the help of the show, he started believing in himself again, and now he's eager to get back into the workforce.
Like the Fab Five, have you experienced issues with your weight growing up? Be inspired to start your own journey to fitness with these stories about real women who lost weight and changed their lives:
Want to read about more women and their battles against the bulge? Check these out on FN:
- You Lose, You Win: Losing 26 Lbs Helped This Marketing Executive Regain Her Health
- You Lose, You Win: Lawyer Loses 44 Lbs without Joining a Gym
- You Lose, You Win: Willpower Helped This Dentist Lose 50 Lbs
- You Lose, You Win: A Lifestyle Change Helped Me Lose 28 Lbs.
- You Lose, You Win: A Change in Mindset Helps Lawyer Lose 36 Lbs
- You Lose, You Win: New Mom Rediscovers Her Self-Confidence after Shedding 56 Lbs.
Need tips for losing weight? Read these articles and galleries:
- Pound Patrol: 7 Bad Eating Habits You Should Drop to Control Your Weight
- Don't Be a Diet Diva! 5 Things You Can Do Instead of Dieting
- What You Should Know About 5 Popular Fad Diets
- Juday Loses 27 lbs on Cohen Lifestyle + 5 Common Questions about the Cohen Diet Answered
- New Study: Loving Your Body Helps You Lose Weight
- Think Right, Eat Right: 8 Tips for Keeping Your Weight in Check
- Healthy Options: 10 Substitutes for High-Carb Foods
- New Study: Dieting More than Exercise Is Key to Weight Loss + 10 Dieting Baby Steps
- Experts Debunk Hollywood Diets + 10 Celebs Who Endorse Them
(Photo courtesy of PEP.ph)
CommentsLoad More Stories