Wherever they are in the world, Filipinos' love for and talent in singing is undeniable! In season 11 of hit reality singing competition American Idol (AI), another Pinay is stepping up to the plate and gearing up to do her countrymen proud. Last season, it was young Thia Megia who serenaded audiences with her smooth vocals. This time around, Fil-Am Jessica Sanchez wowed the AI judges with her powerful and unique sound.
Sixteen-year-old Jessica, who sang "The Prayer" (originally by Celine Dion and Josh Groban) for her final performance, is officially part of this season's Top 24, ABS-CBNNews.com reports. According to a video on AI's official site, Jessica has wanted to join the show ever since she saw Kelly Clarkson in its first season. But AI isn't her first talent show; she competed in America's Got Talent back when she was 12.
Jessica's favorite genres are R&B and soul, and she loves belting out songs by power divas Whitney Houston and Celine Dion.
Watch Jessica's performance in the video below! Do you believe she will make it all the way to the finals? Leave a comment to share your thoughts!
For more Filipinos who make us proud globally, check these out on FN:
- Get to Know Pinoy American Idol Contestants Thia Megia and Clint Jun Gamboa + Others in the Top 24
- Kelly Price and Giuliana Rancic Stun in Oliver Tolentino
- Two Fil-Ams Make It to So You Think You Can Dance Final 4 + Who's your bet?
- Get to know the 7 Filipina finalists in Avon’s Voices talent search!
- Apl.de.Ap to Join EDSA 25th Anniversary Concert + 5 Ways to Celebrate Being Filipino
- 20 International Stars You Didn’t Know Had Filipino Blood
(Screencap via YouTube)