Despite having apprehensions, Superstar Nora Aunor finally returned to the Philippines this year, to the delight of both fans and celebrities. The critically acclaimed actress of Himala fame, whose most recent achievements include the Best Actress Award for Naglalayag at the 2004 Brussels Festival of Independent Films, sits down with YES! Magazine to talk about the ups and downs of her life.
In a 50-page feature in YES!'s October 2011 issue, Nora gamely divulges her experiences--from her first foray into showbiz to the hardships that came with fame and love. Read on for interesting snippets about her life that may be news to you.
1. SHE USED HER FIRST EVER PRIZE FROM A SINGING CONTEST TO PAY FOR HER SISTER'S TUITION.
Nora, then a freshman in high school, joined and won the Darigold Jamboree singing contest in Naga, Camarines Sur, in 1963. She won P20, which was the amount her elder sister needed to complete her tuition for her senior year.
2. SHE CREDITS HER MISADVENTURES TO HER MOM'S LOVE FOR THE WEEPING IMAGE OF THE VIRGIN MARY--THE MATER DOLOROSA--WHEN SHE WAS PREGNANT WITH HER.
Writer Ricky Lee, a close friend of Nora's, shares Ate Guy had once told him she believed her sad-looking eyes, which could hide no emotions, reflected the seven daggers stabbed into the Mater Dolorosa's heart and exposed to the world.
3. SHE ONCE HAD A GIRL CRUSH ON RIVAL VILMA SANTOS.
She once waited for the Star for All Seasons at a hotel lobby to give her roses. "Hindi naman ako nagsalita! (I didn't speak!)" she recalls of her 10-minute visit. "Natatawa na lang kami ngayon ni Vi. (Vi and I laugh about it now.)"
4. HER DOLL, MARIA LEONORA TERESA, WHICH LOVE TEAM PARTNER TIRSO CRUZ III GAVE HER BACK IN THE GUY-AND-PIP DAYS, IS STILL ALIVE TODAY.
Maria Leonora Teresa was Tirso and Nora's "baby" at the height of their fame, and she had her own set of clothes and gifts from sponsors and fans. Tirso's mom, Elma, took care of the doll until her death in 2006. She now resides with Tirso and is still in good condition.
5. SHE THINKS SHE MIGHT BE BISEXUAL.
Nora was plagued with rumors that she was lesbian in previous years, but she says she's not sure herself if this is entirely true. Is she bisexual then? "Baka nga gano'n ako (Maybe that's what I am)," she admits. "Kung gano'n ako, masaya pa rin, di ba? At least, puwede ka kahit ano, 'yong gano'n. (But if I'm like that, then I'd be happy, right? At least I could be with anyone, that kind of thing.)"
To read more about Nora's life and see over 200 photos from her past work, grab a copy of YES! Magazine's October 2011 issue out on stands now!
Also in this issue:
- 100+ Photos from the Star Magic Ball
- Robin Padilla and Mariel Rodriguez in Europe
- My Neighbor's Wife
Want to see more YES! excerpts? Check these out on FN:
- Kris Aquino Reveals New Home in YES! Magazine's September 2011 issue!
- John Lloyd, Marian, Angel, and More of YES!'s 100 Most Beautiful Stars
- Kris Aquino Leads YES’s Top 20 Endorsers List + Who's your fave female endorser?
- Jennylyn Mercado talks about her breakup with Dennis Trillo in YES! exclusive
- Sarah Geronimo reveals the real story behind her breakup with Rayver Cruz in YES! exclusive
- 25 Stars to Watch from YES! Magazine’s “The Next Big Thing” List
- YES! Magazine Spotlights Celebrity Fashionistas
- Kim Chiu, Marian Rivera, Anne Curtis, and More of YES! Magazine's 100 Most Beautiful Stars
(Photo by Mark Nicdao)