Being an expectant mom doesn't mean you have to look and feel frumpy. You can still indulge your fashionista side even when you're pregnant. Just ask celebrity entrepreneur, breastfeeding advocate, and United Nations Children's Fund Special Advocate for Children Daphne Oseña-Paez. She has three kids, and her experiences while she was pregnant show that it's possible to look fabulous with a blossoming belly! Read on for five style tips she has for pregnant women.
1. WEAR BLACK.
"Black jersey dresses never failed me. They're comfortable and flexible. Wear them dressed up by adding jewelry and nice shoes or casually by changing your footwear. Black gives the illusion that you are slimmer, taller, and more chic than you really are. And you can always wear it again after you give birth."
2. BE ACTIVE.
"If your health is okay and you don't have a high-risk pregnancy, ask your doctor if it's okay for you to exercise. If you've been doing yoga, swimming, or running pre-pregnancy, it should be okay to continue (consult your doctor)."
3. EAT WELL, BUT EAT HEALTHY.
"Don't believe the old saying that you're eating for two. You can eat the same way you did pre-pregnancy, but make sure you and your baby get enough nutrients and minerals. Don't rely too much on supplements. Try to do it the natural way; eat iron-rich, calcium-rich, and protein-rich foods."
4. MAKE AN EFFORT.
"Make the extra effort to always look neat and well-groomed. This doesn't mean going all out with makeup and hairstyling. Even the bare minimum of keeping your hair neat, patting your face with powder, and putting on some lip gloss can boost your spirits and make you feel and look good."
5. TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET.
"Foot spas and massages are a no-no as they can cause contractions. Since you'll most likely be in flats or open-toed shoes, make sure your toes are lovely. Make time for a weekly pedicure. It's always nice to look down (if you can still see your feet) and see pretty, well-groomed toes."
For more articles for expectant moms, try these on FN:
- Stylish Maternity Wear from Belle Mama!
- 20 Gifts For Expectant Moms
- Don't Go Nuts! Pregnancy Bed Rest Survival Guide
- 10 Things Every Woman Should Know Before Having Her First Baby
For more FN stories on Daphne Oseña-Paez, click through the links below:
- 5 Ways Daphne Oseña-Paez Makes Christmas Special for Her Loved Ones
- 7 Breastfeeding Tips for Moms from Daphne Oseña-Paez and Patricia Bermudez-Hizon
- Daphne Oseña-Paez: The Celebrity Mom Turns Child Advocate
- 6 Ways Busy Mom Daphne Oseña-Paez Keeps a Clean House
- Daphne Oseña-Paez, Miriam Quiambao, and More Celebrate Olay Total Effects + 11 Anti-Aging Products
(First published in Good Housekeeping Magazine, Your Good Life section as "Expectantly Chic" in September 2009; photo by Belle Yambao; adapted for use in Female Network)