What is PHASE 1 AND PHASE II



??
Dentists use a variety of treatment modalities for treating TMJD and these may be divided into Phase I and Phase II Therapy.
Why are there 2 phases?
Phase I is generally conservative and reversible.
Phase II is irreversible
Sometimes there is NO phase I and phase II.
Sometimes dentists go straight to phase II!!!!
THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED!!!
Phase I treatment
-----------------------
Two words sum it up...... -> TMJ stablisation.
The purpose of Phase I Therapy is to eliminate muscle spasms, TMJ swelling and dislocation (if possible), and generally reduce any type of pain and inflammation.
This treatment includes the use of splints/oral orthotics to balance your bite .
Also attention is given to - chiropractic treatment for the upper cervical (neck) area, physical therapy, postural analysis, airways and breathing analysis, swallow patterns and medication/pain relief.
These being the major areas that usually will be addressed by the treating dentist. TMJD really is a WHOLE BODY disorder.
Phase II Treatment
-------------------------
Phase II treatment is, by definition of the American Dental Association, non-reversible and invasive therapy.
What entails Phase II??
* adjustment of the occlusion (adjusting the "bite")
* orthodontic treatment, the placement of crowns
* equilibration (grinding) of teeth
* surgery of all types
(be aware of the physician who recommends this without any phase I modalities of treatment)
* a combination of some of the above treatments
All of these modalities most certainly produce changes which can't be reversed.
The purpose of Phase II Therapy is to definitively correct any discrepancies, if necessary, between the upper and lower jaw
Please note that Phase II modalities will create permanent changes in your bite and cannot be easily reversed.
NOTE - VIP!!!None of these procedures should be attempted unless you have demonstrated significant pain relief in Phase I therapy.
If you or a family member or friend who suffers with a TMJ problem has doubt or unresolved pain, get a second or even third opinion before any Phase II Treatment is initiated.
Articles
By: TMJ Worldwide