Author Topic: Suggestions on Progressive Schools  (Read 137397 times)

ella

• GirlTalker
Re: Suggestions on Progressive Schools
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:01 pm »
Hello,  mga sis! I am looking also for a progressive school in QC. I already called Raya and the Learning, too bad nalate na ako :(. Sa Raya, puno na daw ang slots nila kasi yung mga students nila ng lower years eh sa kanila din nag enroll, sa Learning tree naman, ubos na rin ang slot kasi Jan pa lang open na sila...hay, saan pa kaya puwede? Gusto ko kasi sana talaga progressive school, my daughter will be grade 1 na. Any progressive school na  mairecommend aroun QC. TIA!

emeenem

• Senior GirlTalker
    • Mommy Approved
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 09:36:22 pm »
Also interested in finding out the tuition fee in COLF.

Preppi school in San Antonio Village looks nice. Kaso wala akong feedback.

bluegreen717

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:27 am »
COLF isn't as expensive as, say, ICA or Xavier. For my daughter in middle school, tuition is a little over Php 60k annually, exclusive of books and materials. No uniform, save for PE/dance. Not sure, though, for high school or preschool.

emeenem

• Senior GirlTalker
    • Mommy Approved
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »
thanks bluegreen! panu po ba sa COLF? panu nasabing progressive?

rockstarmama

• GirlTalker
  • mom of three
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »
My little brother goes to community of learners in New Manila. From what I learned, it's one of the first progressive schools here in the Philippines. Their teaching method is individualized and my brother really blossomed in that school. He's more confident and he understands his lessons more.

Right where I wanna be!

bluegreen717

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »
@emeenem: Perhaps the best way to define a progressive school is to differentiate it from a traditional school. This helps a lot: http://mom.exchange.ph/2007/03/20/traditional-vs-progressive-schools

Most of us would be unfamiliar with a progressive method of teaching simply because all we've been exposed to is the traditional method: The teacher stands in front of over 40 kids. The students all have to pay attention to her and LISTEN. Kids are not encouraged to ask questions, rather they are rewarded simply by answering correctly. Everyone sits while the teacher alone stands in front. And the teacher doesn't care if the students don't understand fully, what's important is that she's gone through the lesson plan for the day and has to move on to the next. It's the teacher's expectations that matter, not the children's.

In a progressive school, the teacher encourages participation. The teacher discusses, asks questions, kids answer, kids ask questions, everyone participates in the discussion.

Oh, and the low student to teacher ratio (less than 30:1) plus a teacher's aide. You know, having a smaller class size makes so much of a difference already. The teacher knows all the kids personally.

team_charlie

• GirlTalker
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 08:00:12 pm »
^ Hi sis, pwede magtanong kung saan sa New Manila yung Community of Learners? TIA!

bluegreen717

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:34 am »
^ Check out this map: http://www.colf.bayandsl.ph/Pics/colf%20map.png

Take Ortigas Avenue westbound down to Gilmore Avenue. It's not exactly in New Manila, rather it's right before New Manila and the PC shops in Gilmore.

ella

• GirlTalker
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 01:31:07 pm »
COLF isn't as expensive as, say, ICA or Xavier. For my daughter in middle school, tuition is a little over Php 60k annually, exclusive of books and materials. No uniform, save for PE/dance. Not sure, though, for high school or preschool.

sis, yung 60k, cash basis ba? do they have installment basis? thanks!

bluegreen717

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 10:01:23 am »
sis, yung 60k, cash basis ba? do they have installment basis? thanks!

Yes, they have semi-annual and quarterly modes of payment.

the slayer

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 08:47:11 am »
hi :-)
any progressive school in Mandaluyong area? Explorations Preschool is way beyond our budget... So we're looking for options. Hope someone here can suggest a school.. thanks!

kitty07

• GirlTalker
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 11:42:52 am »
I don't know if this is the right thread for this (posted this also in another thread), pa-delete na lang if OT.   I've read articles/blogs differentiating traditional and progressive method of teaching.. How about montessori method? How does it differ from the two, especially from progressive approach? TIA.

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:28 pm »
now im confused, my child is just in kinder pero iniisip ko na kasi san sya ipasok sa grade school. our original choice was STC since it's the most accessible and probably more budget friendly one for us and the feedbacks i hear na it instills the value of simplicity among the students wc id also like my child to have while growing up, ayoko na magpapabili sya ng stuff just because meron classmates nya. anyway, stc is a traditional school.
as my child is growing na notice ko her attitude she needs prodding to finish a task, eh naisip ko baka pag sa traditional school sya na hindi naman natututukan, baka mapag iwanan sya kasi nga kulang sa focus.
so when i got a chance to talk to my c
hild's present teacher (preschool), i asked her wer she think my daughter would do better sa trad or prog school..the teacher said yung lack of focus madedevelop pa naman yon and thats what theyre doing/teaching her now...as to trad vs. progressive depende daw talaga sa amin kung san talaga gusto namin for our kid..ang ginagawa naman daw nila ngayon is to train our child and develop in her the good habits para kahit san man sya ipasok come grade 1 trad man o progressive, ay kakayanin nya. well..she has a point right? but that made me more confused!

ano pa ba advantages/disadvantages kung mag-grade school ang bata sa progressive school? hindi kaya lalong maging strong-willed and outspoken ang anak ko? to the point na q-questionin nya ang rules ko sa bahay?? kasi diba pag traditional school strict and may rules talaga na you have to follow no questions asked (authoritative style) vs progressive na tingin ko mas permissive ang approach.

mommies please help, if you could,pls share your inputs and enlighten me. thanks
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:20:16 pm by pinkcoyote »

bluegreen717

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 01:51:47 pm »
^Sis, you have to take into account where your child's strengths are. Some kids thrive well in a traditional set-up. They are usually able to assimmilate information faster and with little prodding. I'd like to say these are the well-behaved kids that teachers like so much. I was such a child and I did very well.

As for my daughter, she's very inquisitive. She just won't sit there and listen. She's a bright girl but teachers always say she's just makulit, kulang sa focus, etc. The tendency for the teachers is to focus on the intelligent, well-behaved kids (the ones at the top) and to enforce some discipline on the difficult ones (the ones at the bottom). For a class of almost 50, yun lang talaga ang kaya ng teacher na ma-focus. The ones in the middle, the average kids, are not paid much attention to. My daughter's talents were never acknowledged in her old school. (Yun nga eh, ang tingin lang ng mga teachers sa kanya, makulit at walang focus.)  But when she moved to a progressive school, her skills in creative writing and drawing were praised highly. She even developed her own cartoon characters and stories, ala Calvin and Hobbes.

As for being outspoken and your fear of your child questioning your rules, shouldn't we all? I wouldn't want my daughter to grow up meekly obedient. I'd rather get into arguments with her and have her think for herself, than leave her to grow up into a sheep. My daughter loves the fact that they discuss everything in school. It's the best way to learn. Discussion, mind you, not a lecture wherein the teacher does all the talking.

oktoberfest22

• Aggrieved.
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »
^ very well said, and i totally agree!

although minsan, nakakaturete rin kapag lahat ng paliwanag mo sasagutin ng "bakit"? My daughter is like that. Macha-challenge ka talaga as a parent na i-justify yung rules mo. Which is a good thing, really, except that nakakapagod minsan. Hahaha! Oh, the realities that parents have to deal with  :)
Be careful. Big Brother is watching...

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 09:08:04 pm »
bluegreen, thanks for your very helpful advice here and on pm, i'm going to share it with my husband to help us decide which is best for our daughter. :)

oktoberfest, that is true, nakakapagod sometimes i just want to answer "because i said! period." LOL

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
^ My boys are turning 4 years old this June and I sometimes run out of answers to their why and bakit questions.  Let's be happy that our children are inquisitive.

RE progressive and traditional schools for elementary, may pros and cons sila both.  I guess you just have to weigh your priorities. :)

shoreline

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 01:31:53 pm »
Meron po bang progressive school sa Monumento, Kalookan area?

Most progressive schools are in Quezon City. Sana magkaron rin sa bandang north. Stressful naman kasi mag travel everyday.

Pls advise if you know any. Thanks!

^ My boys are turning 4 years old this June and I sometimes run out of answers to their why and bakit questions.  Let's be happy that our children are inquisitive.

RE progressive and traditional schools for elementary, may pros and cons sila both.  I guess you just have to weigh your priorities. :)

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 03:09:56 pm »
^ I am not aware eh, sis.  Most progressive schools are indeed located in QC.

kitty07

• GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 11:07:44 pm »
I'm in the process of choosing between John Dewey and Kinderhaus for my 3-year-old son.  I've been reading good reviews about Kinderhaus, wala pa gaano sa John Dewey, pero mas malapit naman samin JD.  What do you think mga sis?  Mas ok na nga kaya Kinderhaus?

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close