My son just turned 2 last Feb1. He was confined at the hospital that time due to diarrhea. The attending pedia was his first pedia though only for a month cause we switched pedia afterwards. During her room visits, she asked if my son can already talk, walk, run. I said he can run already but can say only a few words, sometimes mama, papa, dede, vee for TV, bo for ball, but not really that often (though he babbles, screams, laugh). She then called my son's name. I said he is more familiar with his nickname. She then asked my son to point where his papa is. My son shyly pointed his papa. I then asked my son to point his eyes, nose and where Matthew is, and he readily pointed those. The pedia said it's his speech that is delayed and speech therapy would help improving it. We have an appointment with her tomorrow though I am not 100% sure that I want my son to undergo therapy at this time. I mean he just turned two. I would be very alarmed if he is nearing 3 and still with little words to say. I actually brought up that concern to his current pedia, about two months before he turned 2. I asked if he needs to undergo therapy cause medyo delayed na nga yung speech. She said not to worry much since there are really delayed talkers. She even said that she herself planned on letting her son evaluated by a dev pedia because the speech is delayed, but then when her son was almost 3, he learned to talk and is now very talkative.
I would much welcome the idea of first enrolling him in a play school so he can be with other kids and perhaps learn to speak clearly and learn new words. I am not sure din if he is confused kasi nga as much as possible we try to talk to him in English but then of course with the yaya and the kids na kalaro nya minsan dito tagalog talaga salita. Like when the yaya asked the playmate to ask my son how old he is, tinanong sya ng tagalog, ignore niya lang, but when the yaya asked in English, yung son ko showed his 3 fingers, hehe, di niya kaya yung 2 lang e. Anyways, yun, share ko lang. Sana lang din my son will learn to clearly speak soon. Like when he turned 1, di pa siya ganun kagaling maglakad, sa crib lang afraid pa. Then after siguro a month na talagang todo practice namin siya, bilis agad lumakad at tumatalon talon pa, and soon after tumatakbo na. Sana lang, he's just a little delayed pero I'm hoping na wag na muna kami umabot sa pagte-therapy. Sorry, haba ata.