watch now

Author Topic: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.  (Read 359164 times)

hayne22

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2014, 06:29:20 am »
mommies, pwede bang ienroll ko yung son ko sa ABA ng walang referral ng devtpedia, nag school na kasi son ko..he's turning 4 and he seems okay sa speech..though may mga words na hindi pa maintindhan pero kaya na nyang mag kwento pero hindi pa tama yung mga sentence nya..according to his teacher, siya daw ang most improved sa class nila dahil nung pumasoks sya as in ilang words lang masabi nya and now madaldal na nga.. ang concern ko lang kasi talaga is yung behavior nya..short temper sya..mabilis sya magalit and mabilis din sya ma bored..pag nagagalit nang hahampas..and he always act as monster..madalas lang sya maiwan sa yaya since nag wo-work kami ni hubby..so alam ko pwedeng yun din ang cause ng lahat ng to..potty trained nya sya and on the way na rin ako sa bottle-less nya pag nag mi-milk..

sana makapag share kayo ng thoughts about my son..

rhumbafrapp

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #461 on: May 20, 2014, 07:26:47 am »
sis hayne22 better if patingin ka sa devped, kasi mahirap mag "self prescribe" baka naman hindi yan kailangan mo, or wala naman palang therapies needed.:) diba? :)

Tekkisand

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #462 on: May 21, 2014, 07:12:39 pm »
Hi I am new here , just joined today because of this helpful thread.I  was worrying about my son when he turned three cause he does not engange in a conversation.He can say a lot of words and in fact has very wide vocabulary but he can't seem to pu them together into a complete sentence.I consulted this to his pediatrcian but she said he's just fine.I waited several months but the feeling came back again when I encountered boys same age with him who can truly carry a converastion with people.I started researching about the milestone he should be hitting by his age now 3 1/2 y.o.Reality sets in...at first it broke my heart  and felt sorry for my son and I felt so responsible  when I know I did everything to make sure everything will be just fine with my boy.I chanced upon this  thread and started realizing I don't have to feel bad as a mother but I have to focus on the resolution that can help only child...I want to point out my child's strenght and weakness  hoping that someone can walk me thru on the steps I need to take.

Strength:
1.He can clearly say numerous words from different categories like animals,food,family etc.
2.He can identify almost all shapes including quadrilaterals and colors.
3.He can count 1-20 independently.Can count up to 100 with alittle help.
4.He can identify all the letters of the alphabeth and numbers 1-20.
5.He can sing a lot  nursery rhymes
6.He follow simple directions like " Please  get my bag and give it to me.
7.He name every object he see, every food he eat.
8.He would recite the names of the planets and days of the week...I was so amazed  with it but was outweighed  with the worries about the following that I  observed.

Weakness
1.Does not  always answer when being asked.
2.He doesn't tell me stories like what happened yesterday.
3.When he wanted something sometimes he would ask for it sometimes he doesn't and just pull me to the direction of what he wanted,sometimes he would say "mommy come " but not really state why he wanted me to come with him.When he is thirsty he would just say" water" or "baso" but not a complete sentence.
4.Sometimes when  we  tell him something he would not listen like when I ask him" Stop playing with the water".

Factors to consider:
1.My husband and I speak with him in english but when we leave for work the babysitter speaks with him in Tagalog. Can this be a  a reason for confusion?
2.He is the only child  at home and rarely get the cahnce to play with other kids.

I have not discussed this yet with my spouse I know it will break his heart  but I will tell him anyway once I got more details.Mommies , please tell me how to start and go about it? Should I  go to Primary doctor first or directly to a  Ped-Dev?




marose17

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #463 on: May 23, 2014, 09:20:32 am »
^ The weaknesses you have noticed in your son could be indicative of a developmental language delay.    For your peace of mind, consult a developmental pediatrician or a speech and language pathologist.  Pediatricians are wonderful doctors but they are not necessarily experts in speech and language development.

Here's a link you might find useful (the blogger is a speech and language pathologist): http://www.playingwithwords365.com/2012/11/your-childs-speech-and-language-3-years-to-4-years/

Tekkisand

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #464 on: May 23, 2014, 08:43:06 pm »
Thank you marose17
This is truly helpful and I appreciate it.

TowBerryBlue

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #465 on: May 26, 2014, 09:58:37 pm »
@Tekkisand - Yes, consult a devpedia right away.

TowBerryBlue

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #466 on: May 26, 2014, 10:05:27 pm »
@incywincymommy - Alam mo mahal talaga sya. ang expenses ng son ko for his therapies alone ay nasa 12k a month then madagdagan pa yan kasi may school na sya this June. Pero try to work it out, parang 3x a week ang therapy nya, twice a week mo ang OT then once a week ang ABA or whatever you prefers. Kaya yan, tyagaan lang talaga and try to learn how to do it at home din. Ganun kasi ginawa ko.

A-N-N

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #467 on: May 27, 2014, 04:05:32 pm »
@tekkisand : sis for your peace of mind I suggest you consult a Dev Ped.  There is nothing wrong with consulting one.  Actually I am super thankful that I did because I got to learn more about my son, what he needs, where he is good at, etc.

A-N-N

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #468 on: May 27, 2014, 04:14:04 pm »
Hi, I am planning to transfer my son to another therapy center.  Does anyone here have experience with Kids Can Do in Marikina? Thanks!

Tekkisand

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #469 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:55 pm »
Thank you mommies!I already made an appintment with a Ped-Dev at San Juan De Dios but the earlieast date they gave is November 5.I'll try to check with other doctors  but I wonder  can we have our child evaluated directly by a Speech Therapist or  there should be a referral from the doctor?

marose17

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #470 on: May 28, 2014, 10:01:23 am »
^ Ideally, there should be a referral from the dev. pedia before you consult the therapist.  The dev. pedia will evaluate the child on all aspects of development, not just speech and language.

Try to secure an earlier appointment from other doctors (there are several mentioned here and in the thread about developmental pediatricians) as November is really too far ahead.  Sayang ang waiting time for the doctor's appointment in case your child needs intervention.

darna88

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #471 on: May 29, 2014, 01:52:20 pm »
iam with  my speech theraphist for  1.2 year now ..she is nice naman but later part parang i dont see any much more imrpovement with my son., last eval with devped 2 months lang itinaas sa language skills nya...im planning to change speech theraphist...but pano hndi ba nakakaoffend sa kanya if same center pa din kami?....how can i tell na want ko sana try other theraphist...or if no choice lipat na lang ako other center?...
any feedbacks about THIKINDS in tomas? medyo namamahalan kasi ako sa rates nila samantalang sa core skills we only pay 580 per session where as in THIKINDS Around 700 ata junior teacher pa :(...

sa ALRES who can you recommend na speech and ot teacher?

TowBerryBlue

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #472 on: June 10, 2014, 12:24:13 am »
Yung son ko kasi may behavioral problems. He is very hyper. As in sobra. He can talk pero super hyper sya and yun ang fini-fix ng ABA therapy. ABA was recommended by my son's devpedia kasi so yun ang sinusunod ko. OT lang is parang pang fill-in pag wed-thurs kasi di kami makakapunta ng Pasig where PCDP is. Pag Thursday kasi may home based ABA sya and then OT sa hapon.

sleepy_grfld

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #473 on: June 11, 2014, 11:08:08 am »
my daughter's dev ped recommended CHIPS for her OT. any thoughts? and what's the difference between OT and ABA? parang ang sabi nyo, ABA ang for behavior. yun kasi ang problem ng anak ko. for behavior modification nga siya e pero OT ang nirecommend ng dev ped. my daughter is very active, short attention span and has tantrums every time she doesn't get what she wants. TIA

jnmartins

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #474 on: June 13, 2014, 05:17:43 pm »
Hi, I am working together with a speech pathologist for my 3 year old son. He is very accommodating and very knowledgeable. I went to him without developmental paediatric consult. He assessed my child then he recommended him to be assessed by a developmental paediatrician. If ever you're looking for a good speech pathologist in Ortigas center, or San Juan area, I would gladly recommend you to him.

Hi I am new here , just joined today because of this helpful thread.I  was worrying about my son when he turned three cause he does not engange in a conversation.He can say a lot of words and in fact has very wide vocabulary but he can't seem to pu them together into a complete sentence.I consulted this to his pediatrcian but she said he's just fine.I waited several months but the feeling came back again when I encountered boys same age with him who can truly carry a converastion with people.I started researching about the milestone he should be hitting by his age now 3 1/2 y.o.Reality sets in...at first it broke my heart  and felt sorry for my son and I felt so responsible  when I know I did everything to make sure everything will be just fine with my boy.I chanced upon this  thread and started realizing I don't have to feel bad as a mother but I have to focus on the resolution that can help only child...I want to point out my child's strenght and weakness  hoping that someone can walk me thru on the steps I need to take.

Strength:
1.He can clearly say numerous words from different categories like animals,food,family etc.
2.He can identify almost all shapes including quadrilaterals and colors.
3.He can count 1-20 independently.Can count up to 100 with alittle help.
4.He can identify all the letters of the alphabeth and numbers 1-20.
5.He can sing a lot  nursery rhymes
6.He follow simple directions like " Please  get my bag and give it to me.
7.He name every object he see, every food he eat.
8.He would recite the names of the planets and days of the week...I was so amazed  with it but was outweighed  with the worries about the following that I  observed.

Weakness
1.Does not  always answer when being asked.
2.He doesn't tell me stories like what happened yesterday.
3.When he wanted something sometimes he would ask for it sometimes he doesn't and just pull me to the direction of what he wanted,sometimes he would say "mommy come " but not really state why he wanted me to come with him.When he is thirsty he would just say" water" or "baso" but not a complete sentence.
4.Sometimes when  we  tell him something he would not listen like when I ask him" Stop playing with the water".

Factors to consider:
1.My husband and I speak with him in english but when we leave for work the babysitter speaks with him in Tagalog. Can this be a  a reason for confusion?
2.He is the only child  at home and rarely get the cahnce to play with other kids.

I have not discussed this yet with my spouse I know it will break his heart  but I will tell him anyway once I got more details.Mommies , please tell me how to start and go about it? Should I  go to Primary doctor first or directly to a  Ped-Dev?

jnmartins

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #475 on: June 13, 2014, 05:24:02 pm »
I am a newbie here in the thread and so far it has been helpful. Im wondering if any one of you here have underwent a course designed to train us in helping our own children talk? I am working with a speech pathologist right now and he suggested it to me. I have searched for it in the internet and it is interesting. The program/course is called "It takes two to talk".

jnmartins

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #476 on: June 13, 2014, 05:38:23 pm »
Hi Ms.Ava,
I can't send personal messages yet but you could reach him at his email address pdjacinto@gmail.com. I will send you his number once I get his approval.

Hi,

I am with MedMom. I used to be with We Speak but had minimal progress with our therapist. I chatted with one of the doctors in Singapore and he recommended that we look for Paul Jacinto, a speech pathologist. I got a warning though that he is really a busy guy but is really good with his craft. We went to see him and after a 4 weeks of therapy, my son is already talking. What I have heard from my PT is that he handles children with motor delays too. You should give him a shot.

Hi! Mommies, I need feedback re the following therapy center Med-Mom, Therabilities and We Speak Centers. My 19 month old baby was diagnosed GDD with ASD. He'll be undergoing OT 3x/weekly and Speech & Theraphy Language 2x/weekly. Among those centers my recommended teachers ba kayo?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:02:27 pm by jnmartins »

mrssindoe

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #477 on: June 14, 2014, 05:49:50 pm »
Hello Everyone -

I am a mother of a 2 year old boy with cerebral palsy of spastic quadriplegic type. I am an expat. I am a newbie here in MNL and here in the site. I came across this forum while looking for speech pathologists who could help me with my child. I need someone to help me feed him and make him express his needs. I prefer someone with a background in Bobath/NDT. By the way, he also has severe hearing loss bilaterally. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:51:39 pm by mrssindoe »

mrssindoe

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #478 on: June 14, 2014, 06:38:07 pm »
I have attended this training program in the US before. This is very helpful. Im glad to know that there are Hanen-certified speech pathologists here in the Philippines. Can you refer me to your SLP?

I am a newbie here in the thread and so far it has been helpful. Im wondering if any one of you here have underwent a course designed to train us in helping our own children talk? I am working with a speech pathologist right now and he suggested it to me. I have searched for it in the internet and it is interesting. The program/course is called "It takes two to talk".

TowBerryBlue

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #479 on: June 15, 2014, 06:58:38 pm »
Hello Everyone -

I am a mother of a 2 year old boy with cerebral palsy of spastic quadriplegic type. I am an expat. I am a newbie here in MNL and here in the site. I came across this forum while looking for speech pathologists who could help me with my child. I need someone to help me feed him and make him express his needs. I prefer someone with a background in Bobath/NDT. By the way, he also has severe hearing loss bilaterally. Thank you.

Hi! I think there is a center in Pasig that do this. I just forgot the name of the center.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close