watch now

Author Topic: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.  (Read 358971 times)

corinnesmom

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2009, 05:20:58 pm »
^ re: 2 different OTs, that happens in our center, too especially when we're very busy and the schedule is almost full. that would work if they're in one center only coz they can coordinate naman with each other. :) i personally would not recommend that if the 2 therapists are from different centers. mahirap makipag coordinate pag ganun eh.

re: 2 OT sessions 2 days in a row: better if spread out but if there are no other days available, better to have 2x a week sessions than once a week. anyway, you still have to do activities at home, too for days when you don't have a session. :)

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2009, 06:38:54 pm »
^ Thanks so much sis! you are such a big big help!

Ill keep my fingers crossed na I get a better sched! =)

Sis, how about speech therapy? OK lang if I go to a different center.


corinnesmom

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2009, 09:17:22 pm »
^ pwede naman sis kasi the OT and speech have different areas of concern naman but their programs would be more successful if they complement each other.. you can discuss naman siguro with your therapists.  :)
for ex. here in davao, we only have 1 speech therapist and she's in another center but some of my kids have sessions with her. we have team conferences for instances when we need to discuss our goals and what each professional's roles and limitations are. usually the speech therapist, the school teacher, the devped, the OT, and the parents attend that conference. medyo mahirap nga lang to coordinate kasi di magtutugma minsan ang schedule and the parents shoulder the expenses.
and some of my kids have a common communication notebook for OT and speech so we can also see the goals of the speech therapist.  :)

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2009, 03:26:21 am »
ah okay! thanks so much sis!!!!

Found kasi a cheaper center with good speech therapists. Di pa mahirap sa sked. So Parang Id rather send my son there when the time comes hes ready for speech therapy =)

satya

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2009, 02:00:14 pm »
mga sis..my daughter naman ang problem nya before is nahihirapan mag concentrate..yon lang naman, so once a week lang ang OT nya..pero now sabi ng teacher nya is ok na daw sya na rule-out na daw yung problem nya and my only problem now is her attitude.medyo spoiled :) kasi and may pagka bossy ang nahihirapan magka-friends..you guys think OT could help her in this aspect, feeling ko kasi hindi eh :)..i think my kid needs a  child psychologist instead (please correct me if im wrong)..

cherubs

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2009, 04:28:29 pm »
ah okay! thanks so much sis!!!!

Found kasi a cheaper center with good speech therapists. Di pa mahirap sa sked. So Parang Id rather send my son there when the time comes hes ready for speech therapy =)

where is that? care to share :)

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2009, 05:23:23 pm »
^ Rehabpartners in Anapolis greenhills. P470 per session lang vs P625 in thera. All therapists are mostly from UP Manila and some UST

corinnesmom

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2009, 06:31:04 pm »
@sis satya, yup the OT can address social skills problems.  :) just discuss with your OT so he/she can help you.  ;)

cherubs

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2009, 11:02:30 pm »
^^ thanks sis Chili, hmm reasonable PF i must say. have u seen the place? are they accepting therapy at home?

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2009, 12:10:49 am »
^ Nope walang home service. Ive seen the place. Discovered that bec recommended ni Dr. Benitez. The place is really small lang. But ok lang bec for speech even inThera, small cubicles din naman.

They have OT also but I chose not to go there bec. they dont have the vestibular apparatus like swings, hammock etc. They only have a trampoline and a low beam. A lot of my son's OT involves Motor Planning kasi, and kulang sila ng equipment for that. But for OT for fine motor skills and table top activities, or ABA i think OK din sila. Bec their therapists are competent naman talaga

cherubs

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2009, 12:30:44 am »
ic. thanks. for OT naman, i highly recommend Quality Life Discoveries talaga, kaya lang talagang wala silang Speech Pathologist/s na available.

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2009, 12:34:55 pm »
corinnesmom: I noticed nga parang not so effective that our OT sessions are so close together. Although this has only been the 2nd week that were doing OT 2x/week, parang I dont even notice the difference or improvement in my son. I know it is a bit too early to tell but even the OT admitted it is better nga daw if the sched is spread apart.

My gosh theyre just so busy kasi. Kinda frustrating as a parent who wants the best for their child. Im just sticking it out with Therabilities bec I really am confident with the first teacher they assigned to me. Shes very good, and is the most senior therapist in the center next to Tisha Palanca/owner. The 2nd teacher assigned to me seems good too and I am happy I got assigned to her too, although I must say I prefer the style of the first OT. THe 2nd therapist's style is more playful and friendly rather than authoritative.  But Im just thinking maybe my son will also benefit from having 2 therapists who are both good but with slightly different approaches and styles.  Best of both worlds nalang.

Frustrating lang with the scedules!! I hope they can accommodate my request to for a change in the sched.

Oh yeah last question sis, OK lang ba talaga that my son has 2 therapists for OT? Or better talaga one lang, or no difference naman?

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2009, 12:46:34 pm »
Also, I was observing some of the other therapists at the center. Parang im was disappointed to see some therapists sitting around lang watching their kid. I mean may pinapagawa sila to the kid and all. But theyre just sitting down saying "one more round, step on the red circle etc"  and not even smiling and encouraging. PArang monotone voice lang.

I know therapists are people too and they do get tired of have days when theyre not in their element. But its just disappointing bec I wouldnt want that for my kid. I noticed several therapists like that, prang unmotivated yung dating. Eh syempre the kid nahihirapan doing say the obstacle course. Tapos yung therapist nakaupo lang doon with her hand supporting her chin. I mean I dont expect na tulungan nung therapist bec the kid has to do it independently, but at least naman her body language should look like shes engaged in what the child is performing diba? And imagine the parent has to pay P600 an hour, tapos for what? For a therapist that looks bored out of her mind.

I saw mga 2 na ganun. Both of them are juniors Im sure bec they look so young talaga. mukhang fresh grads yon. In fairness naman the other therapists I saw look very engaged with the kids they were handling. I guess makikita mo lang talaga sino yung may passion and dedication sa work nila.

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2009, 04:28:33 pm »
Just wanna share this informative video to parents with kids in speech and occupational therapy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttYPN59v9yE

corinnesmom

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2009, 09:26:56 pm »
^ yup ok lang to have 2 OTs sis. and ok lang kahit the other one is authoritative while the other one is more friendly. the OT naman knows when she should use a friendly tone or a firm tone of voice eh when the situation calls for it. iba iba talaga style ng mga therapists, like in our center, i'm the most lenient of all the therapist, that's why most of the kids that i co-manage with the other therapists like to work with me haha. who's your first OT?

i remember my rotation in thera, was very toxic. (hush hush haha)  :D

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2009, 10:05:12 am »
^ Sis my first OT is T. Lea. She's also playful but the other one really likes giggling and lauging my my son. So far, I am happy with both my therapists.

Siguro sis, very easy to work with you that's why a lot of people like working with you. =)


thanks sis!

munchkinnidarth

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2009, 10:14:35 pm »
Hi just want to post my experiences with therapies...

my son with diagnosed with mild asd around 2 years old...
non-verbal and with attention problems...

we started with speech therapy immediately good thing we had a slot...kahit 1x a week lang it's helping din kase at least alam mo how to introduce language with the program of the speech therapist and then supplement at home...2 years na rin...tried 2 therapists pero same center...

for ot less tha a year lang...naisip ko lang itry kung may difference ba na itigil na lang...and wala naman nga difference...since nag sschool and aba pa...so try nyo rin mga sis kung saan mas ngrrespond ang kids natin then duon tayo mgainvest...may mga therapies kase na may expiration ang effect...again this is case to case basis sa anak natin...

ABA...eto ang malaki ang impact...in my son's case he needs structure and tangible consequences...yung ibang concerns ko dito ko pinapagawan ng program...para mgcomlement sa ibang therapies...

so all in all in malaki ang tulong nilang lahat...magastos nga lang...pero yn nga sinasabi ko na lang na para yang investment...think of the long term benefits... :)

my son is turning 4...verbal na with some jargons...
can behave inside classroom...can pass off as NT kid (neuro typical)..pero we still have a long way to go...

sana nakapagbigay ako ng konting tulong...

hi sis frenzied...nice to know that you are still here...I  used to see your name in the forum "special ba ang anak mo?" here in GT...

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2009, 01:17:19 am »
^ sis munchkin our sons are about the same age pala. I read nga in another forum sobrang happy sila with ABA. Actually I inquired about that and super mahal bec I think dapat 4-5x weekly 2 hrs a day yung program. But whats nice about ABA nga is that i think it also incorporates some OT techniques and Speech exercises na rin.

In the case of my son lang... we need talaga mostly sensory integration therapy. Kaya even sa centers madyo may requirements yung son ko for the therapy to work. Kung pwede nga lang I would have gone to another center with very good Ots and cheaper. kaso walang mga equipment and aparatus (slide, verstibular boards, swings etc)

but you are absolutely correct in saying not all kids are the same and some will respond better to different types of therapies. Thats why another thing Im also really looking into now is Therapeutic Listening therapy. Medyo mahal... but I just might do it later on. Im on the lookout for an affordable alternative. Tomatis is to much at 67 k.

pietra

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2009, 09:12:32 pm »
my kid goes to skill builders

How do you find Skill Builders?  Are you happy with their programs/therapists?

If anyone has tried Therakids or Teamworks Behavioral Therapy by Rod David, please share your experiences as well.  I'm looking for a good therapy center somewhere around the Nagtahan or Makati areas.  Thanks!

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2009, 05:28:56 am »
Hi! My son is about to go into Speech Therapy.

I am looking at these three centers and I hope someone can refer me if they know of a good therapist who works in these centers or around the area. I am hoping to get someone with a lot of experience:

1. Speech Ladder, Greenhills
2. RehabPartners, Greenhills
3. We Speak, Ortigas.
4. Therabilities - But almost impossible to get a slot here been on the waitlist for over 2 months

Someone recommended Teacher Dana in We Speak But I don't think she has an available slot.  I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks!!! =0)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close