what happens then if your trans friends had a different take? what if they feel they have the right to choose which bathroooms they can use? what are you going to tell them then?
If my trans friends have a different take, I would still share my views on the subject which is that in the shared toilet situation, treat it on a case by case basis. Use your common sense and be sensitive to the situation, the culture and the people around you.
I would tell them:
If I am in a shopping mall with families, then I would opt not to use the female toilet and look for a toilet for PWD because it's an environment that would be dominated by families with kids and therefore requires more sensitivity and prudence.
If I am in a city like New York, in the middle of a dance club late at night and there is a ladies toilet, and I need to go, I would ask the ladies in front of me if I can just use the toilet because chances are, in THAT CONTEXT, that environment of adults, that city, it would probably be fine.
Your "all encompassing" view of respecting people's rights means everyone from a specific community will expect to have the exact same rights and the same rule will apply in every single situation, in every city, in every country, to be followed by citizens from different backgrounds? How unrealistic.
That is precisely why Twelvth Goddess and I stressed that regardless of how anyone feels about or supports a cause, nothing,
in the context of claiming for the exact same rights, is ever universal. The world is not black or white. You can support a cause and feel respect for members of that group without agreeing on every single issue.
And Twelvth Goddess's comparison of supporting a cause vs. supporting a President is on point and relevant. Eh ikaw nga, you compared fighting for this cause to your friend's support of some random Chick whatever cause. You did the exact same thing as Twelvth Goddess, which is to compare two different situations to make a point.
The black-or-white "you're either with me or against me" thinking is so dangerous and similar to what religious or political fanatics espouse, and what has caused so much problems in this world. If there is no room for understanding or compromise on important issues, there will be no progress.