Author Topic: Netflix: Black Mirror  (Read 7468 times)

simang

• Acts like a lady, thinks like a man.
  • Super GirlTalker
Netflix: Black Mirror
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:01:23 pm »
From Wikipedia:

Black Mirror is a British science fiction television anthology series created by Charlie Brooker and centred around dark and satirical themes that examine modern society, particularly with regard to the unanticipated consequences of new technologies.

The 'black mirror' of the title is the one you'll find on every wall, on every desk, in the palm of every hand: the cold, shiny screen of a TV, a monitor, a smartphone.

Who's watching this? I'm currently on the 3rd season, episode 5. Anthology sya and each episode is a completely different story and cast. So far, my favorites are: 15 Million Merits, White Bear, Playtest, Shut Up and Dance, also San Junipero. Season 4 is yet to be released this year.

The series is dark and disturbing, in a way na it can actually happen in real life sa dami ng technological advances ngayon. Each episode is one hour long, para akong nanunuod ng movie, napapa wtf na lang after each one. Yung episode na Nosedive especially, nakakatakot na humanity is almost there na sa ganun level in terms of social media reception.
...all adventurous women do.

hisana

• Super GirlTalker
Re: Netflix: Black Mirror
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »
Oh, San Junipero. Matindi ang LSS ko sa Heaven is a Place on Earth because of this. I do wonder if aabot talaga tayo sa ganung level of simulation and if it's something I'll like, hehe.

I've only watched the season 3 episodes, and then yung Be Right Back (so sad) and White Christmas. Next time, I will check out The Entire History of You.

simang

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:25:10 pm »
^sad din ang Entire History of You.. re: San junipero, if sa 80s era ako mapupunta when I pass over, i might like it, haha!

khaleesiCersei

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 01:25:22 am »
Count me in. I like it because para siyang twilight zone na paborito ko nung bata pa ko hehe

alice_alice

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 02:51:18 am »
I love this show! Minarathon ko nga ito. Minsan natutulala ako what if mangyari diba? Fave ko yung episode na may rinerate ka na tao. You have to admit it could happen anytime soon. Sa pag gamit mo nga ng uber diba naapply na? What if mangyari na yun for reals diba? Wala ng pera ratings mo ang currency. Nakooooo! Haha

simang

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 10:12:20 am »
^^i haven't seen any twilight zone episode pero sabi nga nila eh parang ganun daw ang feels. hehe. scary kasi it's so close to happening

^That's Nosedive, nakakabother ano? Actually yun ang isa sa mga pinaka realistic na talaga, kasi people are obsessed with numbers (likes, followers, ratings, etc). Even the rechargeable car, meron na din ngayon. Nakakainis sa episode na yun was nung nacancel yung flight, parang wala kang right magreklamo kasi bababaan nila yung rating mo. Kaya kelangan nice ka pa din kahit iritang irita ka na haha

kaythrielle

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:43:09 pm »
I was able to watch season 3 tapos 3 episodes lang (Nosedive, Play Test, San Junipero). Then i stopped. Lol it is so weird.

Ireneeeeee

• Super GirlTalker
  • life is short..buy that makeup! :P
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:51:18 pm »
I watched all of the eps and I can't wait for more!! huhu tagal ng season 4 :< i'm so into this series nabitin nga ako kahit nagmarathon ako kaya napanood ako ng twilight zone eps hehe. Fave ko yun nosedive, san junipero (na grabe ang ganda ng cinematog), be right back, entire history of you, white bear, and syempre the first ep na mapapa wtf ka talaga! pati shut up and dance! grabeeeee
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:53:22 pm by Ireneeeeee »

tsokolat

• no regrets
  • Super GirlTalker
  • when in doubt, dont!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:49:54 am »
Because of this thread, i started watching it. Kakatapos ko pa lang ng nosedive and i think maeenjoy ko ito. One of my faves un twilight zone at parang ganun din sya.  Imamarathon ko ito this weekend  😊
do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go-Joshua 1:9

yn061515

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 02:41:07 pm »
Still on Season 1 Episode 1, nabore ako, tinigil ko muna.
Okay ba talaga tong Black Mirror?

yannuh

• Super GirlTalker
  • Trust in His timing.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 07:38:03 am »
-just finished the first ep and we (hubby) liked it. nagstart kami half ng ep2 pero nabore ako so nag-stop muna kami. watch ulit later :)
just know you can :)

DeathToMondays

• GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 08:21:27 pm »
This is good, I finished the last season. Problem with the Season 3 eps is that most of them took on a more positive tone, which isn't exactly the entire show's direction. Some of them became trite and campy.

Each episode is supposed to be a dystopian commentary on how social media and technology can go wrong for us because of our frailties as humans. It's not a feel-good series.

simang

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 08:26:31 pm »
Still on Season 1 Episode 1, nabore ako, tinigil ko muna.
Okay ba talaga tong Black Mirror?

May parts talaga na boring. Pinakanabore ako sa White Christmas episode. Ilang beses ko inulit yung kasi nakakatulog ako haha. Pero ending nya lagi is a huge WTF.

^that's true. Yung San junipero, i didn't like the ending. Naging chic flick! Haha. Ang ganda na sana yung nagdecide na sya na sumunod sa husband nya eh instead of going to san junipero. Pero I still like that episode, one of my favorites.

chichi143

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 10:48:23 am »
Hello Black Mirror fans! Kakatapos ko lang nung tatlong season. Nakakabaliw! What's your favorite episodes??
I really really like 15mil merits, White Christmas, Entire History of you and Nosedive! :P

chichi143

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 10:51:20 am »
This is good, I finished the last season. Problem with the Season 3 eps is that most of them took on a more positive tone, which isn't exactly the entire show's direction. Some of them became trite and campy.

Each episode is supposed to be a dystopian commentary on how social media and technology can go wrong for us because of our frailties as humans. It's not a feel-good series.

A lot of people feel this. Pero ako iba na-feel ko. Like a lot of people feel happy about San Junipero's ending, even the makers said it was really supposed to make people feel that. Pero i dont know, it makes me sad. Like really, is that what we really want after death? Especially that scene before it ends when it showed a big computer server housing all that. yikes

simang

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 11:03:24 am »
^but the thing about San Junipero is yung feeling na may pupuntahan ka after death. Kasi diba parang it's implied there na no one really knows kung totoong may life after death. So what if wala? What if talagang mortal body lang ang tao? No heaven, no hell, no soul? Kaya for some it can be appealing that San Junipero exists.

chichi143

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 12:36:57 pm »
^but the thing about San Junipero is yung feeling na may pupuntahan ka after death. Kasi diba parang it's implied there na no one really knows kung totoong may life after death. So what if wala? What if talagang mortal body lang ang tao? No heaven, no hell, no soul? Kaya for some it can be appealing that San Junipero exists.

Yeah, that concept is really appealing. Yung bang continuous lang lahat. Walang katapusan. That part was kind of the downer for me, ganda nga ng ending eh na-LSS ako. So parang napaisip lang ako, are they going to be that happy for the rest of their lives, or mabobore rin sila and they will end up trying to do everything just to feel again. Meron kasing scene si Kelly where she's trying to feel anything. And those people dun sa weird bar na napuntahan ni Yorkie.

and then the shot of the building and them in egg capsules... Parang all of us, just down to that in the future. That's where the creeps came in hahaha. Yun. hahaha (I think this has got to do with my belief too because I believe in rebirth and no heaven and hell concept for me)
I swear, this show! It makes me think a lot.
Nosedive, nahirapan ako matulog afterwards. LOL

DeathToMondays

• GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 01:50:40 pm »
A lot of people feel this. Pero ako iba na-feel ko. Like a lot of people feel happy about San Junipero's ending, even the makers said it was really supposed to make people feel that. Pero i dont know, it makes me sad. Like really, is that what we really want after death? Especially that scene before it ends when it showed a big computer server housing all that. yikes

I found that episode fascinating, not because of the idea of the afterlife, but because of the concept of humans being reduced to digitized information. Like with the creation of art, you can immortalize yourself with the information you leave behind. Only in this episode, that information is your identity, played in an endless loop of varying preset scenarios.

At the same time, this information is used by a corporation that capitalizes on people's need to believe in an afterlife. So even beyond your death, you and your beliefs are reduced to a commodity by companies that profit from it.

Which is exactly what social media already does to us. After we die, our posts, the remnants of our identities, are memorialized for them to make revenue out of.

kvan

• Introvert, Demisexual
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Accidental Cougar
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 10:14:40 pm »
I saw Season 1 Episode 1 last night. WTH? Depressing, weird, disturbing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:26:32 pm by kvandenhaak »
"Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" ---Matthew 6:34

simang

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 10:21:04 pm »
^^very good point

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close