Author Topic: All about our Baby's Vaccination - PART 10  (Read 10972 times)

lenjei

• GirlTalker
Re: All about our Baby's Vaccination - PART 10
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 10:50:09 pm »
thank you sis, ill check tomorrow 😊

hunn

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 06:16:38 am »
Hi all, Doc Lelet  :) I would like to ask your opinion re: Varicella/Chicken Pox vaccine. I read that first shot must be given at 12-15 months old. Unfortunately, my baby didn't get the shot yet, she's now 22 months.

What's your take? Can I still have her vaccinated kahit over the age requirement na? Or just skip this altogether?

Thank you in advance for the inputs :)

leletmd

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 10:36:44 am »
@hunn:
You can still have your baby get the varicella vaccine even if she is over the recommended age limit. There is no age deadline to getting the varicella vaccine. Even adults who haven't gotten the vaccine  or who has not acquired the varicella infection can get the vaccine.
We call this catch up immunization.
This is true for most vaccines. You can still have them given even if past the age recommendations. One exception though is the rotavirus vaccine which has a very strict age limit for the first and last dose.

hunn

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 02:19:07 am »
^ Thank you, Doc Lelet. I will have baby vaccinated this weekend. Happy New Year :)

gwyne21

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 11:26:18 pm »
Hi Doc Lelet, regarding meninggo vaccine, specifically Menactra (not sure about the spelling), pag po ba 2 years above, isang dose na lang? nagbabasa po kasi ako para sa upcoming vaccine ng baby ko (2.5 years old siya).. plan namin is either anti typhoid or anti meninggo yung isunod.. nalilito po kasi ako sa meniggo vaccine kasi sa mga nababasa ko na website dapat daw for 11 years above .. yung iba naman sabi pwede 2 years old above and need ng booster after 5 years?... pang-ilang taon po ba talaga iyon recommended. medyo nalilito po ako kasi di siya kasama sa required vaccine kaya yung schedule parang nag-va-vary ...

leletmd

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 12:28:10 pm »
^ There are 2 types of meningococcal vaccine available in the Philippines: conjugate and polysaccharide.
For the conjugate vaccines like Menactra, the immune system can recognize the vaccine through an adjuvant so it can be given as early as 9 months of age. If given at 9 months of age, 2 doses are required, 3 months apart. If given at 2 years of age, only 1 dose is needed. No need for booster because immunity or protection is more long lasting.
For the polysaccharide vaccine, this type of vaccine cannot be recognized by the immune system of patients less than 2 years of age so it cannot be given to infants. Thus, it is given starting at 2 years of age. Since the immunity of polysaccharide vaccines are not long lasting compared to conjugate vaccines, a booster is needed after 5 years.
For other countries like the US and Canada, there are different age recommendations for giving the meningococcal vaccines. For example, from what I know, in the US, they are usually given during teen years because there are high cases of meningococcal diseases in college students there.
Here in the Philippines, meningococcal vaccine is given as an optional vaccine at 2 years of age. Need for booster will depend on the type of vaccine used.

gwyne21

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 12:36:04 pm »
^Thank you very much po Doc Lelet.. very clear na po.. I asked yung secretary ng pedia ni baby and Menactra nga daw po yung brand na ginagamit. So 1 dose na lang pala for our baby. Thanks po again doc.

MoonshineLady

• GirlTalker
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 08:20:18 pm »
im just curious. my son is turning 14 mos now. he had several immunization this last year before he turned 1 and i must say ang laki na ng nagastos ko. then his last check up he was given a 4 in 1 immunization which i forgot what it is. tapos as per his pedia pinakita sakin yung list of immunization pa for the next months and every month meron. may booster pa akong nakita and flu shot. are these really required?? its very costly kasi kaya i just want to know if okay lang ba na yung essential immunization lang ang gawin para sa anak ko.

iceforshort

• Probationary
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 03:45:55 pm »
Hi guys,

Any idea how much ang Rota vaccine sa private?

Thanks much! :)

Pink_Sugar

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 01:44:21 am »
^2,500 yung sa pedia ni baby.
Dati pala merong rota sa center kaso ngayon wala na daw nadating. Laki din sana ng ma-save kung meron sa center.

sweetarwen07

• Aragorn's Queen
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • cynical optimist
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 12:18:48 pm »
hi doc leletmd.  totoo po ba na hindi naman kailangan lahat ng nakalagay na vaccine sa baby book?  i mean, meron po bang ilang immunization na required talaga at yung iba optional na lang?

every month po kami nagpapa vaccine.  naka sched po next month ang flu vaccine ni baby.  he's 2 years and 4 months old now.

thank you po.
"So we have nothing over which to fret; but simply wait to see our pieces played.  I am eternally his possession, I am eternally his."

leletmd

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 11:03:00 am »
^ Not true. The only optional vaccines are the typhoid and meningococcal vaccines.
Why are vaccines given? They are meant to protect children and adults from deadly diseases. Yes, they do not offer 100% protection, but at least, if you get the disease and you were vaccinated before, chances are, the disease will just be mild and there will be lesser chance for complications.
They are costly but if you compare the cost of hospitalization due to possible complications, mas malaki pa rin ang magagastos mo sa hospitalization compared to the cost of vaccinations.
Mas maikli o mas konti ang schedule ng immunization sa local health centers kasi they follow the Expanded Immunization program of the World Health Organization but there have been moves from way, way back to include more vaccines in the EPI because the more vaccines available and given to kids and adults, the less chances for deadly diseases and the less chances for outbreaks.
I suggest you look up the diseases the vaccines are protecting so you know why they are important. Research on polio, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, congenital rubella syndrome, varicella encephalitis, sub sclerosing pan encephalitis, etc.
Lahat ng vaccines na binibigay thoroughly studied pati sa timing ng pagbigay.
Here is a link on the recommended immunization schedule for the Philippines:

http://www.philvaccine.org/vaccination-schedules/childhood-immunization-schedule

sweetarwen07

• Aragorn's Queen
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • cynical optimist
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16:16 am »
thanks for the info, doc leletmd!  tuloy tuloy ko lang po itong monthly vaccine ni baby. :)

"So we have nothing over which to fret; but simply wait to see our pieces played.  I am eternally his possession, I am eternally his."

gwyne21

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 09:04:09 am »
Hi Doc Lelet, recently a colleague mentioned JE vaccine. Never pa siya na-mention ng pedia ni baby sa akin. Is this a required vaccine now in Philippines or optional lang? Wala din kasi siya sa list  ng vaccines sa baby book ni baby. Also, if complete naman niya other vaccine (like PCV, Measles, MMR, 5-in-1 etc), need pa rin ba to have JE vaccine? Thanks in advance doc...

leletmd

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2017, 08:58:54 am »
@gwyne21:
The Japanese Encephalitis vaccine is now part of the recommended immunization schedule here in the Philippines.
It can be given as early as 9 months with 1 primary dose and a booster 12 to 24 months after the primary dose. For those 18 years old and above, no need for booster dose.
Even if complete sya with the other vaccines, it is still recommended to give the JE vaccine.
Japanese encephalitis is a mosquito borne disease that presents with fever, headache, vomiting and sensorial changes that may eventually lead to debilitation or death.
You can ask your pedia about it during the next visit.

You can find a copy of the 2017 Recommended Immunization schedule here:

http://www.philvaccine.org/

gwyne21

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2017, 10:28:25 am »
^Thanks po doc. Will ask si pedia sa next visit.

andy2014

• GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 09:20:49 pm »
Hi, I posted this question on the other vaccine thread, anyway, medyo praning kasi ako sa nababsa ko, please enlighten me. FTM here, my son will get is MMR vaccine next month at the age of 12 and 1/2 months,  praning lang ako sa nababasa ko sa internet na link between MMR and Autism. Please enlighten me.
Andy xx

jj0827

• Probationary
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 01:24:16 am »
Question lang po mga sis, meron ba sa inyo na pina-vaccine si baby ng Vitamin K pagkaanak? Nabanggit kasi to sa kin ng midwife ko, kung gusto ko daw ipa-vaccine si baby ng Vitamin K pagkaanak pero parang wala naman neto sa Pinas kaya napapaisip ako kung papaturukan ko baby ko ng Vitamin K. Salamat.

leletmd

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 08:11:25 pm »
@ jj0827:
Vitamin K injection given at birth is not considered vaccination.
Vitamin K injection just like eye prophylaxis is part of routine newborn care.
Babies are born with low levels of Vitamin k which is needed for clotting. Without the vitamin K injection, your baby is at risk of developing hemorrhagic disease of the newborn which can lead to severe bleeding and can be fatal.
The vaccines that are needed at birth are: BCG and Hepatitis B vaccine

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close