^My boy is turning 2 soon. Kami naman, at 5 months, we decided na matulog na sya sa room nya tapos si yaya sleeps sa mattress beside his cot. For the same reasons that you mentioned - hubby and I are both working, and we also want to teach him to be able to sleep in his own bed, be independent and also syempre my husband always says na it's important that we maintain our relationship/marriage/space.
What I do is (and I think I mentioned this to you in another thread), I try to spend a lot of his waking hours doing the things he likes to do, without yaya around. For example, everyday, I go home and give him a bath. It's my ritual with him. Basta I'm not traveling, I arrange my schedule so that I am home by bath time. And my boy LOVES his bath time. So he associates that with me. Kahit may dinner or other event ako at night, uuwi at uuwi muna talaga ako to give him a bath, then saka nalang ako aalis ulit to attend to whatever I have on my diary, which is also rare kasi nga I try to be home before 7pm to spend time with him. After dinner, I take him to our bedroom so he can play, watch tv, sit in our bed, etc with me. Pag time na to go to bed, I take him down to his bedroom, read stories, sing songs, he drinks his milk and pag tulog na sya, saka lang pumapasok si yaya to set up her mattress and beddings.
On weekends my husband and I try to spend as much time as we can, maybe half a day at max (if we're not on holiday, etc) on Saturdays, and full day on Sundays kasi day off ni yaya. We plan around his nap time, for example, kung mag ggrocery kami we leave him with yaya. Sa gabi, pag magddinner or movie date kami (which is almost every weekend), we do it pag tulog na sya, or patulog na like 8:30 or so.
Isa pa palang reason kung bakit hindi namin sya sinanay to sleep in our bedroom kasi we sleep quite late (11PM or so) and we like to have the tv on. So napansin namin na kahit na antok na antok na sya, hindi sya natutulog kaagad kasi he wants to be part of the action. So we were told by our parents rin na we have to set a routine for him and make his space peaceful and quiet para masanay sya sa sleeping routine nya.