watch now

Author Topic: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia  (Read 19615 times)

peenitokss

  • Guest
Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« on: January 06, 2014, 07:54:26 am »
Which is better mga sis? Ever since kasi i plan na epidural talaga ako. But during my last visit sa new OB ko, she suggested na twilight na lang daw. Bukod daw kasi sa mas mura, hindi pa sya kasing risky ng epidural.

Sino na po naka-try ng epid dito? How about twilight? Ano po para sa inyo ang better?

katrinac

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 09:00:29 pm »
^ sis, actually medyo di ako familiar sa twilight, pero ito ang nabasa ko. Currently, epidurals are replacing twilight anesthesia because administration of Twilight sedation has been found to affect the baby negatively. It is usually safe when given after the baby is born and that too when administered by skilled anesthesiologist. But epidurals are preferred by experts over twilight anesthesia especially when sedation is needed during labor before the baby’s delivery as they are highly effective and very safe.

based dyan, parang mas pipiliin ko yung epidural. natatakot ako sa sakit eh.  ;D pero based dun sa nabasa ko, parang mas risky ata ang twilight? got it from here: http://www.innovateus.net/health/when-twilight-anesthesia-used

cerelina

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:09:29 am »
During my first pregnancy I tried epidural and I liked it very much at 6cm my anesthesiologist gave me a shot and I wasn't feeling the pain of labor anymore I can still feel the pressure, contractions and movements but no more pain. This http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,249893.0.html might also help

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:16:06 am »
Epidural

In hospitals like Mkt Med there is a bedside scan in the prep/pre-op area used to pinpoint exactly where you're gonna be hit with the anaesthesia injection.  So, practically foolproof na epidural. 

ross24

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »
Nagpa-epidural ako sa 1st baby ko and hindi maganda experience ko. Naglabor pa din ako sobrang sakit pero manhid na yung legs ko so kahit anong push ko parang walang nangyayari. Minsan ganon daw talaga yung risk ng epidural. So ang tagal lumabas ni baby. Nahirapan din sya.

Im on my 37th week and hindi na ko papa-epidural baka mas mabilis yung delivery ko. Sabi naman ng ob ko may local anesthesia naman daw and sesedate ako pagkapanganak para malessen yung pain ng tahi for normal delivery.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:44:53 pm by ross24 »

ross24

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:47:12 pm »
Read some reviews na ok naman daw yung epidural. Bakit kaya sa akin before hindi and naglabor pa din ako? Mali kaya yung anesthesiologist? Pano kayo nakapag-push sa mommies na naka-epidural?

Parang ayoko ng twilight, wala ka na maaalala tapos magwawala pa sa hospital hehe. And may risks sa baby..

khriseeee

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »
^maybe your dosage wasn't right? With my friend naman only one side of her body was under epidural, the other side, she felt everything.

I had an epidural and it didn't hurt at all when they put in the catheter. I was in so much pain na with my labor and was contracting when they put in the catheter I didn't even notice it. It felt great having the cold liquid run into my spine and finally get some relief. I could still feel contractions and movement but the pain was on a much lesser scale. I highly recommend the epidural. Twilight kasi you feel the full pain but you are just too groggy to do anything about it. I think they gave me a dose of that because the anesthesiologist was coming from home pa and I couldn't bear the pain anymore - I was literally too tired/groggy to do anything but whimper in pain.

kasheica

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:42:37 pm »
khriseeee

It's the 1st time I've heard bout only one side of the body under epidural, what is the reason behind?

I think they gave me a dose of that because the anesthesiologist was coming from home pa and I couldn't bear the pain anymore - I was literally too tired/groggy to do anything but whimper in pain.

Does it mean sis that it was not the anesthesiologist who injected it?

Nice to read inputs here and it enlightens me a lot cause am still contemplating on what type of anesthesia to consider.

babykiss_625

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:12:08 am »
When I gave birth 3 years ago, Twilight yun binigay sa akin (sabi lang ni OB). Although wala ako sinabi sa OB what kind of anaesthesia bibigay, siguro based on assessment na din. Wary ako that time sa epidural dahil sa nababasa ko na side effects/effects/risks lalo na at spine.
Induced labor ako. So nun mga 9 cm na yata pasok na ako sa delivery room and labor pa din, contractions etc. Then nasa palabas na yata head ni baby nun unti unti inject ang anaesthesia sa IV pagkatpos nun wala na ako malay. hindi ko na narinig si baby na umiyak. As in wala na ako alam and nagising ako after 5 hours na nasa recovery room na. This was in the province pala.

peenitokss

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:00:15 pm »
^ saan ang province mo sis? sa province din ako manganganak

nageinna

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 02:31:41 pm »
induced labor din ako and i had epidural twice. first is nung 4cm palang ako, mas nasaktan ako sa pag ie sakin kaysa sa contractions. two hours lang nag lalast yung anesthesia and ang bagal mag open ng cervix ko, kaya after two hours inject ulit sila ng epidural. ok naman sakin effect. naalala ko pa lahat ng nangyari during my labor. nakuwento ko pa lahat kay hubby. hindi ako familiar with twilight, hindi rin kasi namention ni ob yun before. but i think based sa nabasa ko, would still go with epidural :)

kasheica

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 04:15:10 pm »
nageinna

Sis, bakit ka pala induced labor? Was the 2nd epidural discretion or assessment of the doctor since hindi pa open cervix or you have requested? Before the labor/delivery, did they ask your preference of anes? Me effect ba ke baby yun epidural?...Sensya na dami tanong ko...1st-time at 37 weeks na kasi kaya naghahanda ...Thanks for your answers

prettysherry

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:39:45 pm »
joining...

When i gave birth to my son last 2011, my ob gave me twilight lang and not epi!! But thankfully wala naman effect kay baby or sa akin. She prefers that daw kasi masramdam yung contractions or something so easier to push daw! Although super ramdam mo yung pain during the labor and parang tulog ka na hindi during the latter part...for my second baby, i'm choosing epi na talaga kasi I want to be fully aware when baby comes out!!! :)

Lentot21

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 08:31:15 pm »
Hi mommies,

Just wanna share my experience.. I gave birth last 2011 and 2013 both under twilight anesthesia.. When I gave birth last 2011, I opted in for twilight bec. you know budget wise. However, I was induced and felt so so much pain while on labor that I even said to myself next time I give birth, I'll try the epid one. But when I gave birth last Aug. 2013, again, I chose to have the twilight anes bec. again  of money problems and thought that I can bear the pain. And to my surprised, the pain was very bearable and only went on labor for 30 mins.

Also, my SIL gave birth last year too. She said she'll choose epid but when she got to the hospital, the resident doctors told her that she was 7cm already and no need of epid bec. she can bear the pain and voila after an hour she gave birth. So I guess it really depends on you. If you have money and think that you cant bear the pain go for epid but if you think you want to feel the pain, you can choose twilight...  :)

nageinna

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »
kasheica

hi sis, i was one week overdue na kasi and mababa na my amniotic fluid so doc said induced nalang labor. regarding the anesthesia, i discussed it with my ob during one of my check ups. she gave me options kung ano ano mga pwede depending on my pain tolerance. yung first shot ng epidural ko, i was the one who requested na magpalagay na. ob said kung hindi ko na kaya yun pain just let her or the resident ob know. yung second shot, i told the resident ob na nafifeel ko na yung pain ulit baka nag wear off na kako yung epidural, sakto bumalik ulit my anesthesiologist to administer my second shot of epidural so i guess kahit hindi ako nag request, tuturukan parin nila ko ng pangalawa. na emergency cs din ako after the long labor na wrap na kasi cord coil kay baby. i dont know if ibang anesthesia na ginamit nila sakin during my cs, but i remember anesthesiologist told me hindi niya ko papatulugin during operation kasi makakatulog din daw si baby. we need to hear baby cry daw kasi. overall, wala naman negative effect kay baby yung mga anesthesia. sakin naman yung normal na grogginess but very alert parin naman mind ko all throughout. good luck sis! lapit na due. :)

kasheica

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:18 am »
nageinna

Thanks a lot!...will consider epidural

khriseeee

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 04:20:22 pm »
kasheica, She never asked. She's now preggy with her second baby and she's terrified of the labor.

To your question, it was a resident anesthesiologist who administered the interim pain relief to me. One shot via arm, another in my IV line.

kasheica

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 03:41:10 pm »
38 weeks now..discussed anesthesia preference with OB today...If it is NSD, it will be epidural and upon my request only then, if via CS delivery, it will be spinal according to OB and hospital practice..so,  everything else depends on how my labor/delivery will go.

Bit nervous though, praying hard that I can endure the labor pains since my pain tolerance level is low

ross24

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 04:57:05 pm »
I'm on my 39th week, and same with my OB check
Ko muna kung kaya ko yung pain kasi sabi ko parang gusto
Ko magpa-epidural pero baka mahirapan ako mag-push like sa 1st baby ko. Pero sabi nya dapat 4cm palang sasabihin ko na kung gusto ko para maprepare yung anesthesiologist and maturukan pa ako. Kasi kung 5cm and above na daw baka di na din umabot yung anesthesia eh lumabas na yung baby.

xymone

  • Guest
Re: Epidural vs Twilight Anaesthesia
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 11:18:09 am »
Hi sisses!
Up ko lang tong thread na to kasi I also want to hear other opinions on twilight and epi.. Im 38wks na tomorrow, my OB who is a relative of ours, suggested twilight to me but if I changed my mind daw and want an epi, pwede rin. I will be giving birth in asian hospital, I also want to know din sana how much ang charge for twilight and epi, medyo nahihiya kasi ako tanungin OB ko hehe :P

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close