Hi girltalkers! I'm a soon to be mom and been living with in-laws for four months now. I got pregnant ahead of our plans of settling down, so we're really not prepared for this financially. My hubby was then living with his two sisters with their grandmother staying with them since they move to Manila to study. Although she can stay in the province, it has been their set up for years as she gets bored staying there. My husband's mom is staying in the province but visits our place once or twice a month. if she cannot come, another aunt of theirs comes to bring supplies of food and groceries for the household every week.
I was told before that a maid wont stay that long with them because of the grandmother. But during my occassional visit/stay in their place as his girlfriend then, i haven't encountered any problem with her.
They employed a maid when i moved in to help us with the household chores and to help me as well since i am pregnant and on my first trimester. I didnt have much difficulty staying in their place then coz the maid made it to a point that food is ready as soon as we get up in the morning, took care of the laundry and dishes as well.
I'm not that close with my husband's sisters but i made it to a point, that although im not a people person, i reach out to them as much as i can. I even initiate conversations with them. However, i feel like i'm still a stranger to them, especially to the youngest. Sometimes, I feel i dont exist. She will just answer either "Yes" or "No" when i ask something. if she's the one who'll open the door for me, she'll just open it and turn her back right after and without saying a word, she'll go upstairs.
I thought in time, it will pass. As a new couple, we also fight occassionally. In some of our fights, i even considered moving out. Maybe i find it so hard to adjust and living with in-laws makes it more difficult for me to handle my pregnancy. It is still their house and their rules. Although they dont bother much on what i do, still i cant deny the fact that i am a stranger there.
Two months ago, our maid went home to attend a family event. She wasnt able to go back as promised as she needs to be operated asap for a medical condition which requires at least a month or two of rest thereafter. Since then, the grandmother takes care of the laundry but i still wash my pambahay clothes and underwear. I noticed, however, that she only gets my husbands clothes in the hamper and leaves mine. She stopped preparing breakfast because she knows my husband and his sisters will just drink hot coffee or chocolate drink in the morning, so she only prepares those things. On several instances, although i cannot understand exactly what she is saying as she always talk in their dialect, instinct and gut feel tell me that she's talking about me. I dont know if she's acting that way because theyve seen us arguing on several occassions. I dont know pero i feel like hindi makatao. Maybe because im pregnant. A pregnant woman gets hungry from time to time. I can cook but since it isnt my place, i cannot just leave everything even if il get late for work. TWhen we eat together, i wash the dishes and they will either watch tv or go upstairs. Or the grandmother will just stay in the sofa. I swear masakit masyado sa back to wash even just three sets of plates kapag youre on your 2nd tri or 3rd tri and the uterus is expanding!
In the beginning i felt like my husband is planning to have them with us even if eventually we'll be able to buy our own house. though impliedly, alam ni hubby that i dont like the idea.
I've been always vocal to my husband that i want us to move out. The setup is not helping me. But i have to understand and be more patient since hubby is still paying monthly amortization for his car. Plus, for him, if we would rent a place of our own, it will be a waste of money. His idea is to save the money for the downpayment of a house. But honestly, i feel like the longest i can stay there is only until next year.
