watch now

Author Topic: France Thread 2 (Paris and all other cities) *Check Pg. 1 for reference links*  (Read 82090 times)

wanie

  • Guest
@mama squeak,sis need ur suggestion po,plan to do the paris hop on hop off bus tour,
Would u recommend to book  the tour online?do u have a link where can i get the tour?
Thank u:-)

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^sis, there are two hop on hop off bus tour companies in Paris that I know of, the yellow green L'Open Bus and the red Big Bus tours (cheaper rates). I haven't tried them since we prefer to take the metro (faster) plus we don't have to wait for the next bus to come along. If you decide to get the tour, better to purchase online. Saves you time in queueing to buy there.

There was a discussion on these hop on hop off buses in the earlier threads. I also gave a cheaper alternative to these tours. You can check post no. 249 on this thread.

 :)




wanie

  • Guest
@ mama squeak,thank u for your suggestion sis:-) we might take the metro nalang din kung mas mabilis:-)

sandd

  • Guest
Hello wanie, i jumped on one of the hop on hop off bus when in Paris last year. It wasn't planned so no arrangements/booking were done prior. It was quite easy, bought the ticket on the bus itself, but I guess I got lucky that day considering the bus was really full. I bought a ticket at around 2pm then the driver advised I can use the same ticket till the next day - bargain!

Know that there are 3 routes, so know where you want to go. The one that stops behind the Eiffel go around the metro area. So if you would like to go to Moulin Rouge per say, you'd have to take a different bus that do that route.

We found metro quick yes, but if I was traveling by myself I might not have figured it all out. On our first day we did get lost using the metro but it was still fun! Goodluck!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:53:10 am by sandd »

wanie

  • Guest
Hi sandd thank u for sharing your experience, will take note of that:-)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:27:51 pm by wanie »

mama squeak!

  • Guest
It has been unusually warm this past week in Paris. Everyday we check the forecast so we can dress according to the weather. So far yung forecast na rain, 80% di natutuloy which is good for us kasi mas nakaka-ikot kami ng mga sisters ko. Weird na talaga ang weather kasi same time last year with my hubby, it was raining and cold through out our stay, isang araw lang yata yung umaraw. But this past week, malamig sa umaga then it really gets warm from noon to 7-8PM.

So far, I was able to tour my sisters to the following places aside from central Paris: Mont Saint-Michel, Fontainebleau, Versailles and this coming weekend we might go to Giverny or Brussels depending on the weather and train ticket prices. Relaxed and easy visits but with lots of walking. I can't wait to update my blog with all the places we got to see. Hirap lang mamili ng pictures sa sobrang dami!  ;D

mama squeak!

  • Guest
My sisters and I had a great fun-filled two-week trip in Paris with some day trips and overnighters outside the city. Really enjoyed our stay as wannabe locals, rented a wonderful apartment right at the non-touristy area of Montmartre. Bought bread from the neighborhood boulangerie, went grocery shopping at the nearby Franprix and Naturalia. Did a bit of the popular markets in Paris: rue Mouffetard, rue Montorgeuil, Marché Richard Lenoir and the biggest flea market in the world (according to them), Les Puces at St-Ouen. Metro was just a few steps away that took us to all the must-see attractions in less than 15-20 minutes.

 :)

caterpillar-girl

  • Guest
Thoroughly enjoyed Montmartre too. I visited my friend who lived in a nice apartment at Rue d'Orsel, with a nice view of the Sacre Couer. I only had a day to explore the neighborhood though, sayang. When I go back to France, I'll stay in that area.

Hi wanie, I did the hop on hop off bus thingy. One thing lang, make sure not to use the bus if you're in a hurry, don't use it like a regular metro. We had to go to the Eiffel Tower from Louvre, thinking 30 minutes on the Hop On Hop Off bus were enough to get us there, but it took us forever. We missed our tour time (buti the guy at the tower let us cut the line even though we were an hour and a half late, we stopped by the Trocadero area pa to to take photos, figuring we might as well since we were late anyway) One whole route takes about 2 hours, and to cover just 5 stops would take an hour or so. So manage your time well if you're planning to use the hop on hop off.

wanie

  • Guest
@mama squeak sis ask lang po if legit po ang eliza travel sa paris?planning to get a balikbayan box
From them po if in case kelangan naming mag pa box pauwi dito pinas..
Thank u po:-)

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^sis, I didn't use them on this trip since nagkasya naman lahat ng pinamili ko sa bags ko. We had total 6 bags between myself and my sisters so carry naman lahat. Maybe you can give them a call once you're in Paris na. Hindi din sila sumagot sa email inquiry ko baka pag phone call sasagot sila.

 :)

foxymom

  • Guest
@mama squeak: im here again! lol, i forgot already -- does the paris metro have unlimited 7-day travel pass? o sa london lang meron ganun?

and have you tried going to lourdes from paris? need tips :) will be travelling with my mom so need to know best way to do it :)

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Hi, foxymom!  :)  Paris has the 5-day Visite Pass for tourists. They do have the weekly pass, the Navigo but you need to apply pa for it with a passport size pic. Get the Visite Pass or the carnet of 10 tickets na lang which is more convenient. I have an entry in my blog on how to get around Paris, just click on my signature and search for it (bawal to post links here).

Yup, I've been to Lourdes from Paris. Here are my earlier post 1 and post 2. If you want it convenient and fast, you can fly either to Pau (nearest airport) or Toulouse and take a short train ride to Lourdes. If you're in no hurry naman, take the train. You can do an overnight one (9-10 hours) parang nag-overnight hotel ka na rin. You leave from Gare D'Austerlitz at night and arrive Lourdes at 7AM the next day. Or take the 5-6 hour direct TGV from Gare Montparnasse.

The hotel we stayed at in Lourdes is just across the train station (BW Hotel De Beausejour). That's also where you catch the bus to the grotto. Actually Lourdes is very small, kaya mong lakarin from the train station to the grotto in 20-30 minutes tops. But since you'll be with your Mom, better take the bus na lang and buy round trip tickets. They're cheaper compared to single ride fares.

When are you planning to leave?

 :)

foxymom

  • Guest
Thank you!! Aha the carnet! That's what I usually use in Paris. I just found the unlimited tube pass in London so convenient so I was hoping for something similar for Paris :)

Thanks for the tip again re Lourdes. Will study the plane option. I'm afraid to take night trains. My cousin got robbed somewhere in Germany before  :-\ you think its a good option?

We are going during Holy Week :)

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^sis, the Paris Visite Pass is also for unlimited rides (bus, metro, RER, funicular) but the longest period is for 5 days only.   :)

When we took the overnight train to Lourdes we occupied the whole 4-berth compartment together with another couple friends. Ang medyo iffy is kung meron kang kasama na hindi mo kilala. Kaya kami ni hubby every time we take overnight trains either kakilala namin kasama namin or we get the first-class compartments na solo kaming dalawa.

Another option is the 5-6 hour ride with the TGV. Personally kami ni hubby if the train ride is more than 3 hours, we take first-class for the bigger space. More space to stretch our legs and more space for our bags.

Train Tip: Make sure you always bring bike chains to chain your bags together or secure them to the poles in the open luggage racks provided in each end of the train car. It will make it difficult for anyone to take your bags. If the train has stops, always check your bags. Better if you can get seats facing the luggage rack para kita mo bag mo all the time.

Lastly, always compare plane fares and train fares. Minsan cheaper to fly or it can also be the other way around.

 :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:11:29 pm by mama squeak! »

waychraych

  • Guest
Hi, foxymom!  :)  Paris has the 5-day Visite Pass for tourists. They do have the weekly pass, the Navigo but you need to apply pa for it with a passport size pic. Get the Visite Pass or the carnet of 10 tickets na lang which is more convenient. I have an entry in my blog on how to get around Paris, just click on my signature and search for it (bawal to post links here).


When I went to Paris last August, I got the Navigo Pass. My friend who studied there for a month learned about that so she told me to bring a 1x1 photo so I could get the Navigo. You can choose to get the all zones or just limited to other zones (I forgot what was it called). It was really helpful to us. :)

I also experienced as well that those Parisians tailgates you in the Metro. This happened to me more than twice. What irks me more is that sila na nga nagtailgate, itutulak ka pa.

foxymom

  • Guest
thanks mama_squeak! i will research train vs plane :) i will come back here when i have more questions :)

foxymom

  • Guest
When I went to Paris last August, I got the Navigo Pass. My friend who studied there for a month learned about that so she told me to bring a 1x1 photo so I could get the Navigo. You can choose to get the all zones or just limited to other zones (I forgot what was it called). It was really helpful to us. :)

I also experienced as well that those Parisians tailgates you in the Metro. This happened to me more than twice. What irks me more is that sila na nga nagtailgate, itutulak ka pa.

than you! how much was it if you dont mind? any color background for the 1x1 pic? can i bring it home after? maybe it will be a good souvenier :)

gracei_sg

  • Guest
Hi, sisses! After much reading & backreading I've come up with our itinerary. Just want to say, thank you so much for answering my questions esp. to Mamasqueak (answered my pm) who provided me much information about airbnb --- 80% of where we are going to stay for our trip are airbnb's rentals.  :)

Anyway, my husband & I will be going for a five-week trip in Europe(first time for us), our first stop is France (1st week of September)... Here's my itinerary --- sisses, would you be kind to please comment, suggest, help, give your two cents' worth... Your help and suggestions are highly appreciated!



Day 1 (Friday)
Arriving Paris CDG 0640am

Arrival about 9am, leave bag @ the apartment (Montmarte) & just freshen up

1. Eiffel Tower ---  (won’t be going up this time)
2. Jardins de Trocadero
3. Champ de Mars

About 4 – 5 pm
4. Bateaux Mouches (from Champ de Mars where do we go to ride the boat?)

After,
Walk or Take Metro to 5. Arc de Triomphe
6. Champs Elysees
7. Place de Concorde
8. Jardin des Tuileries
9. Louvre (just see the outside) – visit the museum other day.


Day 2 (Saturday)
1. Notre Dame Cathedral (climb the towers first then visit the church after)
2. Sainte – Chapelle
3. Concierge
4. Pont des Arts (Love Padlock Bridge)
5. Latin Quarter of Paris
6. Pantheon
7. Jardin du Luxembourg

Then, check the Eiffel Tower @ night

Day 3 (Sunday)
1.  Mass @ 8am 140 rue du Bac
2. Museum ‘d Orsay
3. Musee Rodin
4. Hotel Des Invalides
5. Grand Palais and Petit Palais
6. Pont Alexandra III
7. Opera National de Paris

Day 4 (Monday)
Full day Lisieux – arriving back in Paris @ 4pm

Rest & then go to Basilique du Sacre Coeur

Dinner @ resto in Montmarte

Day 5 (Tuesday)
Chateau Versailles Day

Day 6 (Wednesday)
AM: Louvre Museum half-day


Flight to Santorini @ 8pm (Paris CDG)



4 weeks after will be coming back to Paris for an overnight stay before flying back home.

Day 1
Arriving Paris @ 9am from London

AM: Plan to go up Eiffel Tower this time.

Day 2

Flight back home 12noon (Paris CDG)

Thank you! :)

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^Yay! I'm excited for you and your hubby.  :)  Glad you got an apartment in Montmarte, such a lovely place!

Since you are asking for feedback in your IT, here's some that I can suggest:

Day 1  -  Coming from a long flight suggest don't cram too much activity on this day. Since you will be staying at Montmartre, you can visit Place du Tertre and Sacre Coeur first. This will then free up your late afternoon coming from Lisieux (balitaan mo ko dito ha. I've always wanted to visit St. Therese's birthplace but never had the opportunity.)

From Sacre Coeur, take the metro at Anvers (line 2) direction Porte Dauphine and get off at Charles De Gaulle Etoile. You have two options here:

1.) Get out of the metro and visit the Arc de Triomphe. Or
2.) transfer to line 6 and get off at Trocadero.

If you take option 1, after the Arc you can walk along Champs Elysees and turn right on Georges V. You'll end up at Place de l'Alma where you'll find the Alma Memorial to commemorate the Battle of Alma during the Crimean War but after Princess Di's tragic death at the tunnel it was informally turned into a memorial for her. Across the memorial you'll then find the terminal of Bateaux Mouches. The boat ride takes about an hour and 30 minutes.

If you take option 2, get off at Trocadero and you'll end up at the plaza where you get the iconic view of the Eiffel Tower! From Trocadero, cross the garden to get to the Eiffel Tower. But if you're not climbing the tower on this day. Hop on the metro line 6 direction Charles De Gaulle Etoile.

Walk the Champs Elysees all the way to the Louvre. In order of attractions you'll be passing: Grand and Petit Palais, Place de la Concorde, Jardins des Tuileries and finally the Louvre. You might want to take advantage na rin of visiting the Louvre on this day since it will fall on a Friday and they close late at 9PM.

After a full day, go home and rest up! 

Day 2 - After a good's night rest. Be a local! Buy a baguette at the neighborhood boulangerie, cheese and milk at the cremerie. Breakfast! Gotta load up since it's going to be a full day.

- Notre Dame! Tower then church.
- Instead of going to Passerelle des Arts which is all the way at the Louvre, you can go to the Pont de l'Archeveche just behind Notre Dame. Pareho lang naman silang maraming love locks. Actually halos lahat na yata ng mga bridge across the Seine na malalagyan ng padlock nilalagyan na ng mga tao.
- Saint-Chapelle (my favorite!)
- Conciergerie (I hope they're open na by the time you're there. It was closed for renovation when my sisters and I were there in October)
- Pantheon (this is already part of the Latin Quarter)
- Jardin du Luxembourg
- Might as well drop by Saint-Sulpice (near Jardin Du Luxembourg). If you read Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, according to his book this is where you'll find the Rose Line.
- Eiffel Tower at night. Wait for 8PM that's when they start the light show.  :)

Day 3 - Mass at rue du Bac chapel. Say hi to the Pinay nun/s manning the cashier at the souvenir shop.
- Musee D'Orsay
- Musee Rodin
- Hotel Des Invalides (Napoleon's tomb)
- Cross the Pont Alexandre III
- Opera Garnier

**For the Eiffel Tower, try booking online thru their website so you don't have to wait in line for long.

Okay yan na muna. I hope this helps.

 :)

gracei_sg

  • Guest
Mama Squeak, whoa! what can I say  :) --- All noted! thank you sooo much for your suggestions & help --- deeply appreciated! I'll share our travel stories later --- ty once again!

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close