Currently waiting for my plane out of Lyon. 2nd honor ako sa early birds bilang 11 AM pa flight ko 8:20 andito na ako, pero may mas nauna pa sa akin haha!
About Lyon: I love Lyon! I want to schedule a weekend trip ulit by Aug ( para summer sale lol) because even though I tried to see as much as possible in 48 hours, madami pa rin akong gustong libutin (at kainin!)
Things to do before your Lyon Trip:
Buy your rhone express card ( the fast train from the airport to the Lyon city center). You'll save a few euros here and mas convenient. Train travel time is only 40 minutes. Return tix via internet is 24.50 €
Buy your Lyon City Card online ( comes in 1, 2 and 4 days ata, I just bought a one day city card)~ very sulit! Unlimited access to all metro, trains, funiculars, trams PLUS museum access, free river boat tour ( you choose either Saone or Rhone)! Free audio guides too ( though madaling naubos yung English so pickup your tickets sa tourism office early!) Also note that you have to reserve for a slot fir some of the shows (guignol marrionette show, Celestin theatre) also the river cruise, but you can do this via email Lang even before you arrive in Lyon. The 1 day city pass is 18 €
Also Lyon has a city greeter program - volunteers who will spend 2 hours to tour you around in Lyon for free! They will match you and your interests in Lyon ( say food, the old city, shopping, etc). Ang catch is you have to apply at least 1 week before your arrival. I tried applying 2 days before my trip haha and I got very fast replies but in the end they told me na Walang makita kasi Friday pa yung gusto kong tour with the CG ( May itinerary na kasi ako NG sat. Lol) but if you plan your trip way ahead this is a nice and cheap way to get to know Lyon!
I was surprised how nice and warm the people of Lyon were! At the train station fresh from the Rhone express, I was trying to buy a carnet of ticket pero ayaw mag receive NG bills Nung machine, yung French guy na NASA tabi kong machine binigyan ako NG 1 ticket bigla! Then sa Starbucks while I was buying mugs for myself and mga pabili, pinasingit ako sa line Nung Nasa harap ko kasi mabigat na daw yung Dala kong souvenirs :-) then siguro napansin Nung NASA counter na pawisan ako, Inalok ako NG ice water lol. Even the sellers at Les Halles Lyon Paul Bocuse na alam na umuuzi ka Lang sa mga mouthwatering (but hella expensive) food tinda nila are mabait tapos welcoming. Sa Bernachon ( my number 1 to do sa trip ko sa Lyon) kahit intimidating sa presyo Ang chocs, nice yung people~ yung seller she even said in English ha na take care because the weather is really hot today. A+ for warm customer service!
I also had lunch at Daniel et Denise St. Jean,hangsarap! Sarap NG fish nila at di intimidating kahit na Magisa Lang ako. Nag reserve Lang din ako online then magreply yung owner~ yung chef- owner, Joseph Viola, ay winner Nung MOF ( may title syang Millieur Ouvrier de France) because of his cooking. If you watch the docu film , In Search of Perfection, eto yung style ng MOF though yung sa film is for pastry making. When I come back to Lyon I want to try dun ulit pero yung full multi course na ( I got the plate plus dessert set Lang kasi)
Except for the Daniel et Denise meal, sa cafes Lang ako kuma kain haha, Bouchée Doree yung lagi kong kunak sunan~ 10 euro set (sandwich and tart + drink) okay na. Sa snacks and water, may Monoprix na kadikit sa Cordeliers train station ( dami SPECULOOS products dito for those crazy about them, but mahal 3.20 €) however I discovered na mas mura Ang items sa U EXPRESS na shops, so dun na Lang ako bumili~
Of course dami chocolatiers sa Lyon! ~ Bernachon, Voisin, Seve ( masarap daw Ang savory macarons nito, will try sa susunod. Mahal Lang 9€ for 6 pieces), Boullet , though Bernachon Lang binili ko bilang dun pa Lang Mauubos na money lol I tried one na of my stash, perhaps psychological din since dream ko to try this choc noon pa, but for me worth the expense! A small 220 gram assortment is 24 € it contains I think 20 pranine size chocs Lang lol , yung bars nila ( you can choose if dark or milk Ang base NG bars) is 6 € each.
Aside from the food though madaming attractions, there's the rivers Rhone and Saone. Nice to walk around the river walkways pag pa sundown para di masyadong mainit, also the buildings along the river are illuminated at night kaya Ganda atmosphere. I think safe naman here kahit alone Lang ako naglalakad wala namang any point na kinabahan ako.
If possible, choose a hotel sa center kasi that way very walkable sa shopping areas, and in between ka NG two rivers. I got one sa Perrache, which is 6 minutes walking to Bellecour Lang, then paglabas NG hotel train station na rin, Also yung shopping areas walking distance Lang (since all the shops are to the west Lang NG Bellecour). Mumu and very basic Lang the hotel but the location was great.
Went to visit the basilica at the top of the hill ( you ride a funicular to get there. Madami ding gardens dun and if you so decide you can go down from the hill to the old town of Lyon through a scenic garden route , 10 minutes walking Lang ) the old town has the traboules mga passage ways sa bulildings na tagusan, nagtry ako magpass sa ilang traboules pero I think better to go there through a guided tour ( free sa city pass depending on sched).
Meron din museums for their famous marionettes (guignol theatre), may free shop kaso you need to reserve beforehand. There's also a cinema and miniature museum at the old town, if you watched The movie about the perfume~ the sets are here.
I was not able to go to the famous and expansive park and was not able to take day trip to the countryside but next time ill do that :-) Honestly I don't think a daytour is enough in Lyon~ at least an overnighter para you can spread the activities ~ shopping , sightseeing and eating :-)