Author Topic: Coming on as a strong and opinionated woman  (Read 12888 times)

i_v_y

• Junior GirlTalker
Coming on as a strong and opinionated woman
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:52:37 am »
I was told by my best guy friend (who does not sexually desire me ( according from him)) that I  come on as a strong and opinionated woman and guys find it repulsive.

Have you ever been told by someone specially from the male species that you are a strong and opinionated woman?

How did/will you take it?

NeilRudecat

• GirlTalker
  • The Truth on Informed Choice & Women Empowerment!
Re: Coming on as a strong and opinionated woman
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:17:30 am »
A strong and opinionated woman is so sexually desirable to some guys...especially those whose level of intelligence can match such a woman. 
(http://)

i_v_y

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:33:05 am »
that's true for some. it is really about the preference.

by basing from my experiences lately, these guys (foreigners) were probably expecting that i was otherwise. so nothing progressed.

Priceless

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:24:15 am »
It really depends on what they mean by "strong and opinionated". A lot of foreigners have the generalizations that Asian/Filipina women are sweet,  quiet, demure, submissive, etc, as most Asian/Filipinas are.  However, there are some women who are quite aggressive and who try to be loud, aggressive, pushy, demanding to prove that they are "strong" and are not door mats. I think most men admire strong women who can think for themselves and have intelligent opinions, who share them at the appropriate time/situation. Women can be this without being show-offy about it - which I think most people, not just men or foreigners, find repulsive.

Oblina

• Senior GirlTalker
  • Beauty's sister is vanity, and its daughter lust
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:28 am »
agree with sis Priceless, strong and opinionated din minsan ang tawag sa mga loud na babae, coz they really exude strong personality, walang pakelam basta makapagdaldal at mag asal lalake to look cool.

now its a different story kung strong and opinionated ang tag sa mga babaeng matalino magsalita at may sense being the opinionated part, then independent, confident, resourceful and mature for the strong part. these are the qualities that men usually gets attracted to. i think guys who are put off by these qualities have shallow personalities.

khriseeee

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:05:05 pm »
Men who are intimidated by strong women are insecure about themselves

douxmadchen

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:16:43 pm »
been told the same thing before but i didn't take them negatively. if some or most men don't like that then there must be some insecurities within them. only those who are man enough and truly love you and appreciate these strong traits should be worth your attention.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:19:41 pm by douxmadchen »
Because I believe that one day, I will meet a man from the future. :)

freelancer_babe

• I'm a
  • Super GirlTalker
    • The Lady Programmer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 08:22:11 am »
I've met guys who like strong opinionated women, and I've met guys who prefer the opposite.

I am more of a strong opinionated woman, and yet still get admirers. Tapos I work in a male-dominated profession pa where most of the time, women who are successfully "thrown" in such professions perform better or are able to do more accomplishments than the men . :P

But true, there are some guys na intimidated rin sa akin.

I guess it boils down to their personal preference. I think those guys who are after strong opinionated women loves the challenge of dealing with them. Siguro kasi iba na talaga ang panahon ngayon, where men already accept women as equals.
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 10:32:27 am »
I have been described, told to my face & gossiped about as a strong woman with strong opinions.
I have never felt insulted.

But if I were to be described as opinionated -- yes, I may feel bad if the person saying it, IMO, had sufficient brains & human patience. 

agape

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 12:00:01 pm »
^why feel insulted?

Anyways, most guys are just scared of a challenge, meaning Baka Kasi if they choose such a woman, maging under Lang sila.

I think it is a personality, and not really a character. You can have good moral values and be professional pa rin naman even if you have strong opinions, some people just don't know how to handle it.

Maybe the guy who told it to your face, actually likes you, and gusto Nya mag mellow ka naman sa kanya, Baka Hindi siya makapanligaw Kasi. Lolz.

I had an officemate, who looked strong and aggressive, nagging sila Nung guy, but during the relationship, na-turn off is guy Kasi parang front Lang pala Ni girl yun, she is so weak and insecure daw so later Umayaw na si guy.
Integrity, Ethics, Etiquette...

Doink!

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:10:23 pm »
It depends, I feel that Kung may solid sense of self naman yung guy mas maa-appreciate nya nga a woman who is strong & who can speak for herself. Confidence can be the biggest turn-on for some guys. I bang usapan naman yung some women who spews nonsense just to call attention to oneself (papansin ba?) or someone who appears to be holier than thou nakaka turn-off ngayon. Minsan naman [textspeak!] bloated din naman the man's ego, they still what to feel that they are the stronger specie. Bottomline, I guess nasa pagdadala Lang yon. A woman's strength should appear effortless & never flaunting http://

jamberryknots

• GirlTalker
  • love someone like no else could..but you..
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 12:33:45 pm »
i have been described as such by both genders and it was never an issue for me
sila siguro nagkaka-issue but personally, i love the way i am haha
some people may take it negatively kasi nga ang perception is to be submissive and rarely do women express their own opinion
for me as long as you are not disrespectful of others at may sense naman ang sinasabi ok ang tawagin ka na strong and opinionated
love is just a word..until someone you meet gives it a proper meaning..

bluegintonic

• I am loved and now a
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • I am the cat's MEOW.
    • Ana Banana
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 03:51:32 pm »
On the contrary dear! Men like women who have their own opinions and are not empty-headed (yung tamang pang-display lang).Siguro it all depends na lang on the timing ng pag-voice out mo ng opinions.Moderation is the key.
It is our choices that show what we truly are,far more than our abilities

Irtwisted

• GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:52:58 pm »
Have you asked your friend what's so repulsive about strong and opinionated women? I find it worrying and at the same time offensive that holding opinions is considered by some men as repulsive. That's a pretty strong word. Either way, you don't need to change yourself to associate with these type of people.

googoo

• GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:38:16 am »
As was my experience, it worked to my advantage to control myself during the first few dates with my now, fiance.  I did not have to prove anything when it comes to my worth, nor did I feel the need to voice every opinion that came to mind. 

It was too late when my fiance learned about my true character  :)  I am a strong willed, highly opinionated, aggressive businesswoman.  It might have helped that I have a great smile and body to boot, just kidding!   Seriously, it would be best to keep some things to ourselves to have peace and harmony, that's what girl friends are for.  Call them if you need to talk.

ayka

• independent , social butterfly & a
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 08:56:46 pm »
i don't think there's anything wrong with being opinionated, as long as you do it in the right place and at the right time.
happy girls are the prettiest girls! ♥♥♥

heaven_charm

• Junior GirlTalker
  • If there's a will, there's a way
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »
madali lang naman i-balance yan sis. you can look strong and opinionated but sweet as a gf. im a strong and opinionated woman pero my bf prefers it kesa naman sa girl na lageng problema ang dala. and dont forget to smile always kasi it makes you look strong yet approachable padin :)
If there's a will, there's a way

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:25 pm »
I have been described, told to my face & gossiped about as a strong woman with strong opinions.
I have never felt insulted.

But if I were to be described as opinionated -- yes, I may feel bad if the person saying it, IMO, had sufficient brains & human patience. 

^why feel insulted?

AGAPE -- 
kasi, for me "having strong opinions" is ok.  It connotes well thought-through personal views.
As  in, I try not to be babaw with my personal views. I think, assess, and try to base these on facts or on factual inferences/projections (hahaha) -- 
BUT in the face of better inferences/projections or facts, I adjust/modify/upgrade/dump my opinions.  :D

Versus -- 

Being "opinionated", which  is not ok, IMO.   
It smacks of close-mindedness coz pagka alam ko, the definition of  "OPINIONATED" is:   "Holding stubbornly and often unreasonably to one's own opinions".

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 11:42:23 pm »
i hate to be negative pero baka what your friend is trying to suggest is, you come across as abrasive and stubborn and by guys, he could have really been just talking about himself. people do that when they want to complain about someone but couldn't be straight with the person. i could be wrong, of course. how did he say it ba? and what led to that statement?

but to answer your question, no, i don't think anyone has said that about me. engs ako irl eh hehe.

hellobeautiful

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 08:33:47 pm »
it's good to be strong and opinionated; means you have convictions that you stand for. it's better to find someone who likes you for who you are, strong opinions and everything, rather than you trying to change just to please someone else. hindi rin yun magiging masaya in the long run :)

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close