Author Topic: A Beginner's Guide to Blogging  (Read 7262 times)

molybdenumstudios

• Casual Blogger
  • Super GirlTalker
  • A Casual Blogger and a
A Beginner's Guide to Blogging
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:39:20 pm »
So, if anyone can contribute, here's mine:

1.) Always start your very first blog entry with a certain topic you're interested at.
2.) Use the stream of consciousness... but do your best not to get out-of-topic.
3.) Have an open mind.
4.) When someone comments, positive or negative, reply with CLASS and show a very accommodating impression towards them.
5.) If you're going to rant, make sure you're not a celebrity, or someone who is related with a certain Internet celebrity.
6.) Deal with your critics, haters and bashers with class. Do not follow the example of those oh-so-outspoken people who vent out against them without class and breeding at all -- this example of venting out is a very BIG NO-NO!
7.) Always give your critics/haters an impression that will make them stand corrected -- NEVER underestimate their capabilities!
Stupidity leads to pestilence.

freeswan

• I am the new superhero!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • I am a beautiful swan
    • Swan Princess
Re: A Beginner's Guide to Blogging
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:02:49 am »
also, you may want to join this conference. this will cover all your questions about blogging ins and out, technicalities and legal stuff.

I wanna join this kaso wala ako kasama.

http://www.blogopolis.ph/schedule.php
I am happy. I am blessed. I feel loved. I am in love.

monbla

• GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:41:05 am »
I find wordpress articles really helpful, I particularly reference this one a lot:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/freshly-pressed/

They list pointers on how you can be featured in "Freshly Pressed", meaning the admins enjoyed your post and think it's high quality. Someday, sana maachieve. Hehe.

Basic lang siya but really makes sense:
1) Write unique content that’s free of bad stuff.
2) Have a point of view.
3) Don’t be afraid of your voice.
4) Paint us a picture. (or have a visual element)
5) Make it easy on the eyes (to be conducive to reading. ALWAYS format left justified. read the article to know why)
6) Add relevant tags (use general more than obscure ones, for searchability)
7) Write a headline we can’t ignore (make it clever and eye catching)
8 ) Aim for typo-free content. Also, grammar-check, always.

As a new blogger, I also find it very helpful to read other blogs. This way I also realize what style I like and do not like and I learn how to write more interesting posts. Kaya I'm really enjoying wordpress hehe. Kasi andaming guidance like, check out this blog and this is why it's good. It's really easy to find good reads and inspirations in wordpress. Di naman sa pinopromote ko. Haha. :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:54:45 am by monbla »

runaway_bridesmaid

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ces't la vie
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:16:26 pm »
nice tips, keep them coming :D
Signature edited.

mrsonthego

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:57:39 pm »
hi! i just started my blog, hobby lang no plan on earning since di naman talaga ako writer.

ask ko lang saan site pwede kumuha ng pics na pwede gamitin sa blogs. maganda kasi kung may pics, ayoko naman kung saan saan mag download baka may demanda ako

freelancer_babe

• I'm a
  • Super GirlTalker
    • The Lady Programmer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »
^ Try Flickr, or SXC (can't post the URL here, nagiging textspeak) but check the copyrights. Not all are free.

Eventually as your blog gets bigger you'd rather post a picture that you, yourself, had produced and not spend hours hunting them online, so learn photography along the way.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:08:49 pm by freelancer_babe »
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)

mrsonthego

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:15:13 pm »
^thanks sis, sa ngayon kasi ang pangit ng mga pics na kuha ko kasi point and shoot lang camera ko, saka gusto ko gamitin mga cartoon na pics, ang ganda kasi ng blog na maganda yung pics. thanks again will check out those sites  :)

freelancer_babe

• I'm a
  • Super GirlTalker
    • The Lady Programmer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »
^ point and shoot rin ang camera ko - it's actually best for taking pictures of food and any other closeup picture of things. plus you can easily carry it anywhere and it is not bulky. pretty much you don't need a DSLR unless you are after pictures na may fast moving objects or are taking a lot of sweeping landscapes.

photoshop skills too would help.

when taking pictures it all boils down kung paano ang anggulo mo. some of my point and shoot shots even beat those that were taken from a true DSLR... and some people have mistaken my shots to be taken via a DSLR.
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)

douxmadchen

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:33 pm »
Or, you could learn about little of photoshop. It helps improve the quality of pictures. :)
As for the blog, saying things in a friendly and sophisticated manner is a must. You're convincing your readers about what you're writing so state honest facts and don't hesitate to express your opinions. :)
Because I believe that one day, I will meet a man from the future. :)

mrsonthego

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:18:39 pm »
thank you thank you freelancer_babe and douxmadchen, ang dami ko pa talagang kakaining bigas when it comes to blogging! this forum has been helpful! ;D

freelancer_babe

• I'm a
  • Super GirlTalker
    • The Lady Programmer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:46:50 pm »
^ yep a blogger wears a lot of hats: writer, photographer, web designer (for simple theme-related fixes, LOL), programmer (for inserting code and ads in the theme), network administrator (for doing backups, installing and setting up wordpress, repairing/optimizing database)...

anyway if you are using blogger you don't really need to do the network administrator part.

just know what you can in blogging.

:)

molybdenumstudios

• Casual Blogger
  • Super GirlTalker
  • A Casual Blogger and a
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:50:29 pm »
At a random note, you may rant/vent out, pero may class naman :D
Stupidity leads to pestilence.

mama squeak!

• Global Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »
This is very helpful. I just checked out the wordpress article mentioned by monbla even though I'm on blogger. Very helpful indeed!

I'm still very new in this blogging thing but I'm enjoying every minute of it. Next goal ko naman how to earn with my blog without making my page magulo.

:)

x-y

• RN, Skin Care Enthusiast
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I am not a heroine but I save lives.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »
Use the same font for your entries. I don't like reading blogs na iba iba ang font format. Like for example, Jan 1 entry, Lucida Console.... Tapos January 3, Helvetica... January 5, Comic Sans. Tapos iba iba pang color. Yun mga tipong ganun. That's what I learned from blogging. Kase if maayos tignan yung blog mo, may magreretain na readers (if you like having constant readers). You need to know the basic CSS codes for that. Dapat parang may color palette yung blog mo. You can get sample color palettes from here: http://kuler.adobe.com :)

mrsonthego

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:18 am »
hi! pasensya na sa ignoranteng tanong, i'm using blogger kasi, kaka umpisa pa lang po. for hobby lang naman, so far pangarap pa lang yung blog na kumikita hehe, anyway, bakit po may traffic na rin kahit papaano yung blog kung hindi naman siya pino promote, i mean meron clicks from US, UK, Germany, Russia, South Korea, and malaysia yung blog ko, as in regular po siya everytime na may bago akong upload na entry, lalo na mga clicks from US and UK laging meron, does that mean may nagbabasa talaga ng blog ko??  sorry na excite naman ako! totoo ba yung traffic na yun? ;D

freelancer_babe

• I'm a
  • Super GirlTalker
    • The Lady Programmer
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 01:56:11 pm »
^ yes!  :)

rinapie

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 02:06:31 pm »
i'm blogging for a year na pero personal stuff lang talaga nandon. minsan may review ako or mga pagkuha ng license or passport, i.d...mga "how to" pero kwento lang talaga. okay din minsan yung mga ganoong entry, mukhang maraming nakapupunta sa mga ganoong topic.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:10:06 pm by rinapie »

maldita29

• Mrs. B!
  • GirlTalker
    • ReinPro
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 02:18:38 pm »
hi all, i'm a new blogger and i have always wanted to earn on blogging. my wordpress blog is hitting 4700. i just wanna know if can I earn from this and how. thanks in advance. :D

freelancer_babe

• I'm a
  • Super GirlTalker
    • The Lady Programmer
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 02:46:03 pm »
^^ yup informative kasi ang mga "howto"

^ saang country galing yung traffic? the best traffic you get are from the US, followed by UK. yun ang mga malakas magconvert.

kung pinoy traffic, mas mahirap i-monetize.

maldita29

• Mrs. B!
  • GirlTalker
    • ReinPro
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 03:04:19 pm »
yung sa akin pinakamarami ang philippines, then us, singapore, uae, canada, korea, australia, uk, hk, malaysia, france, italy.. ang dami, parang lahat ng kasali sa miss universe e. hehe. how do i monetize?

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close