Author Topic: martial arts/self-defense  (Read 18143 times)

miksha

• Senior GirlTalker
martial arts/self-defense
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »
Pangarap ko noong bata pa ako and until now to learn martial arts/self-defense. I am now 33yrs old. Healthy but not in very good shape. Pwede pa ba akong matuto? pansin ko kase lahat nang nagaaral mga bata pa. Also how would i know what type of martial arts/self-defense style would be right for me?

rastagurl11

• Super GirlTalker
  • Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Re: martial arts/self-defense
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:28:33 am »
It's never too late to learn a new sport. You don't have to worry about it esp if you're doing it for fitness and not really to compete. There are a lot of choices out there, depende kung ano gusto mo ma-achieve. eg. Do you want to kick or more on the practical approach on self-defense, do you want a stand-up sport or yung may take-down etc.

Don't let your age stop you from doing something good  ;)
Kiss the cold wind and pass the smile back to me.

CityHunter

• Awake, arise, or be forever fall'n!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:00:50 am »
Hi, milksha :)

Correct si rastagurl11 as age is not a factor nor should be a deterrence in the want to pursue learning anything even martial arts.  The only question would be ay are you ready for the discipline?  Kasi ang true martial arts takes time to develop but it will give you good foundation.  Yun mga nagmamadali tend to be half-baked. 

And as Pinoy tayo won't looking at a Filipino martial art be high in the list if not the top choice?  At least you don't need to go abroad to look for real masters of the art. :)
We look for the real thing in friends, products and services. In people, we value sincerity more than almost any other virtue.

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Adventure Accounting: Balancing Life on a Budget
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:32:24 pm »
@sis miksha: I started learning martial arts (Wushu) last year. I am in my late twenties na. Parangap ko rin ever since bata ako at nanonood ako ng bioman na makapag-martial arts. Idagdag pa ang anime during my teen years.

Agree that age should not be a factor. You can still learn whatever you want, even martial arts! You will have to accept though that mas madali talaga makuha ng mga bata. In my classes, mixed sya ng adults and kids. Amazing talaga ang mga bata (kids and teens) and nakaka-insecure sa umpisa. But I didn't benchmark myself dun. You'll have to be more patient with yourself. You'll have to push yourself to improve.

Wushu is hard but it is tons of fun! My first few classes were excruciating. But I kept coming back kasi natutuwa ako at nacha-challenge. I am one inch away from executing a full split -after 1.5 years of training. Sa mga kids, 2 months or less, split na sila agad. Ako kasi, may improvement kapag sineseryoso ko yung class. Kapag tatamad-tamad, sayang ang stretching. Zero na zero ako sa sports background. I went to the gym for a year pero hindi super effort ginagawa ko.

Research ka if you want a particular sports-martial arts na aralin. Ako, I wanted to learn Kendo pero di ko kaya ang price. So I took a chance in trying out Wushu at nagustuhan ko. Ngayon, adik nako. hehe.  ;) I never thought I'd spend so much time at the gym pero dahil natutuwa ako, lumilipas lang ang oras.

Good luck!
Balancing Life on a Budget
http://www.adventureaccounting.com/

miksha

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »
i am looking at either taichi/qigong or wushu kase sila pareho ang gusto ko.

i used to do taebo for fitness but that was 5years ago. after 2pregnancies and being a sahm i gained a lot of weight and ang bigat nang pakiramdam ko and siyempre lage pagod. i want to learn dahil 1. for fitness and health - gusto ko pumayat at sumeksi ulit 2. i want to learn something new. naniniwala ako mas nagiging exciting ang buhay kapag patuloy na may natututunan na bago at nakakadagdag sa selfconfidence

mukhang mas relaxed ang taichi/qigong and nakakatuwa ang gracefullness niya kaso ang nakikita ko kase na nagprapractice is  panay mga may super edad na =) saka papayat kaya ako sa kanya? ang wushu naman para bang super demanding.... hindi ko naman balak magcompetitive pero naman gusto din naman na gumaling galing naman ako at hindi yong parang wala lang hahaha

rastagurl11

• Super GirlTalker
  • Revenge is a dish best served cold.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:25:42 pm »
Go for it sis! When i took up muay thai 1.5years ago, I told myself it's just for fitness lang, but I have come to really love and enjoy the sport so my kru got me to say yes that I'll compete. So now my training is no longer the average training. The key is finding something you like and enjoy and things would go a long way, then the next thing you know, you learned self-defense na, you'll reach a certain fitness level that your body will thank you for.  ;)
Kiss the cold wind and pass the smile back to me.

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:25:36 pm »
Wushu is an endurance festival. When I started, suko nako sa 10 seconds na squat. Ngayon, I can hold it for a minute.  :) My thighs still burn every training but I learn how to appreciate the "pain". Yung Wushu class namin, more on forms for competing (Taolu) and not self-defense. Naituturo din yung logic nung moves and practical application nya from time to time, pero hindi yun yung focus ng class. I don't plan to compete but I'd love to learn the jumps and the moves. Nakaka-adik mag-train eh. hehe.

Taichi is relaxed and graceful and also challenging! I've tried it dahil minsan our Wushu coach teaches us some Taichi principles and moves. Ang lupet sa thighs! Tumaas respeto ko sa Taichi practitioners - tapos karamihan nga may edad na - ang lupet ng mga hita nun! The moves seem relaxed pero naka-focus ka sa kanya.

I think papayat ka in either Taichi or Wushu. As long as your body is challenged.

Yes! Learning something new does wonders for your self-confidence. When I finally get a certain move, I say: Aba, nakaya ko rin pala yun!

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 03:59:45 pm »
Just want to share that my Wushu School has a deal in Cashcashpinoy today! You guys might want to check it out. :) Totoo yung discount na offered.

Wushu Discovery:
Php 125/session
Php 2,000 unlimited per month.

Redemption period: Dec 26, 2012 to May 26, 2013. Tamang tama! Start the year right with a new fitness regime! :)

leannael

• GUYTalker
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:35:02 pm »
Ano po ba usually tinuturo sa Wushu? Nag-aral kasi ako ng Kung Fu noon pero more on Forms kame. Gusto ko sana yung self defense talaga mismo. And may alam ba kayo na school na nagtuturo more on self defense kaysa forms? Thanks! :)

chicafabulosa

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »
Dont let your age be a hindrance for you to learn any sports. I would suggest since beginner ka, taichi or wushu... Pwede din kendo.

Im into Taekwondo.started when I was 13 and now a blackbelt. But im planning to study karatedo or muay thai. And I will be starting as white belt ulit. But i dont mind. Its okay lang. :)

Good luck sis.. Wag ka muna sa contact martial arts like mine. I condition mo muna sarili mo with taichi. Kendo, wushu or even arnis before ka mag enroll sa mga taekwondo, karatedo, muay thai, judo etc..
A girl's most beautiful outfit is charisma, the prettiest accessory is smile, & the best pair of heels is confidence.

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:31 pm »
In our Wushu school, Taolu is taught. So more on forms and routines for competition din, and not self-defense. The self-defense is pointed out to give rationale to the forms.

A typical Wushu class:
20-30 minutes warm up - indoor soccer, modified habulan, dodge-ball, or floor exercises
10-20 minutes of stretching - leg stretches, arm stretches, splits, spider stance
45 minutes to 1++ hour of various forms, combination moves, jumps, wushu routines (nan quan, chan quan)
10-15 minutes of conditioning (planks, squat jumps, abs and core exercises) and cool-down stretches (some, mala-ala Yoga na pose). 

2 hours lang yung class. But you can hang out in the gym if you want to get some pointers or if you want to correct some of your stances. Hindi naman sya yung kelangan mong magmadali umalis dahil may next class. I usually extend +30 minutes at least (adik lang naman). I work on those moves na hirap talaga ako gawin - legsweeps and jumps.

I tried Muay Thai but I prefer Wushu eh. I guess part of it is because Wushu is a non-contact and non-competitive na sport (Taolu, that is). Parang Yoga - you try your very best to do the moves. The coaches and your fellow classmates will be there to help you.

Alam ko, Krav Maga specializes in training for self-defense talaga. I am not sure if it is a martial art though.  Lagi syang naka-deal sa Dealgrocer.

Agree with chicafabulosa, don't let your age be a hindrance for you to learn any sports.

chinilachika

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 02:52:24 pm »
^hi sis melodymedley, yung wushu school mo ba yung along Mindanao Ave?  if yes, may i ask anong sched ng Fitness Wushu nila?  been wanting to check it out kaso nahihiya ako, feeling ko puro mga bata makikita ko tee hee!
*too grateful to complain*

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 04:23:37 pm »
@chinilachika: Yeap! That's the one.  ;D You can come in Mondays-Saturdays, 6:30-8:30pm. Most of the Fitness students (like me), M, W, F, and Sat pumupunta.

Define "bata". hehe. May mga kids na 3-12 years old. Meron din yung mga mga teenager and mga nag-aaral pa. Meron ding working people like me (bata pa rin ah! :P). Don't be shy. You can check out the place and the class one of these days.
Kelangan maf training nako kasi daming kinain during the holidays.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:28:46 pm by melodymedley »

lareina

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »
@ melodymedley, nainggit ako sa wushu ah!  Saan yan and how much?  I'm not really sporty but I want to lose weight.  Mukhang  ok yan kasi non-contact sports.  Too much for me ang taekwondo etc, di ko kakayanin!  :-[
my updated version :P

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 09:53:58 pm »
^I train in Wushu Discovery along Mindanao Avenue cor. Road 3, QC.
Their casual rate is Php 250/session. But if you get their packages, it can go as low as Php 200. No required uniform equipment. Just come, pay and train. Simple lang yung gym, but I love that place. :)

I haven't tried Taekwondo so I cannot compare the two. I tried a session of boxing and Muay Thai for a change (dami din kasing vouchers online, ang saya i-try). Hindi ata ako pang-contact sports.  :o So I stuck with Wushu. Tsakaaaa....hindi ko lang alam if may age limit to compete/combat in other sports? I am not that young.

Ano pa nga bang martial arts? Hope our other sissies can share. :) Kendo, Judo, Jujitsu, Arnis etc. 

gentai_chan

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Live, laugh and love ♥
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 10:56:45 pm »
Included to sa 2013 goal ko, kahit basic self defense lang. Actually, naniniwala ako that every woman should know some basic self defense. (-taken from Ms. Congeniality). Seriously though, sa panahon ngayon wala nang sinasanto ang mga holdaper, speaking from my experience. So let's do ourselves a favor, wala namang mawawala plus additional skills na din. Kikay outside, tough on the inside.  ;D
Live, laugh, love ♥

pinkk

• Life's a beach, ride with the waves~
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj7UaG03Zgg&feature=related
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 08:36:08 am »
Gusto ko matuto ng filipino stick arnis(naghahanap pa ng ideal personal instructor with the
 reasonable rate or trainning class within manila or Makati area)
I posted for a swap learning exchange(mandarin language to this but i did not get any response)
my husband's friend would be coming over for a visit (which i am confident to learn something from their military pov techniques)
I am still prepping up myself to understand a bit from our very own self defense technique.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:46:09 am by pinkk »

CityHunter

• Awake, arise, or be forever fall'n!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:55 am »
Arnis is very nice but the references for it is quite few :P  I have no idea which ones teach the pure form as most that I see advertise mix martial arts theory.

Kung soldier yun friend ng hubby mo ay hope na he's a Force Recon ng Marines natin.  If so ay you are blessed with much luck as they are taught a very special martial art.  Yan yun hinahanap ko pa naman and even more so si wifey.

Suggest ko start with doing regular stretching exercises kasi flexibility is the key.  Then focus kung anong style you would most likely use.  May differences kasi kung sa urban areas ka more as compared kung sa province ka madalas.  This way ma-fine tune mo yun art to what you do need now and enhance it further na lang later on. 

Ang key naman is to practice the basics often to the point na instinct na siya.  Then maintain it na lang at the very least.  No idea if yun shop sa Greenhills that deals with various martial arts has closed shop na as matagal na akong hindi pumupunta doon though back then they have not just videos and books but equally classes as well.

OT: Bagal ng web connection ko but check out the following link :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqR6-ADwmw
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:27:58 am by CityHunter »
We look for the real thing in friends, products and services. In people, we value sincerity more than almost any other virtue.

pinkk

• Life's a beach, ride with the waves~
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj7UaG03Zgg&feature=related
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 09:46:21 am »
Good Morning@CityHunter,
As I have observed on youtube, all mix martials arts comes from the old and pure form created by young practical masters, which is far more practical and useful.
As they say scholars are far more wiser than their master itself(in hokkien: tiong wan hak sieng bo tiong wan shien si) also, I think I won't have any problem when it comes to instinct and agility.
Thank you so much for the advice, Have a great weekend with your family as well ! :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:01:07 am by pinkk »

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 10:27:25 am »
Meron palang martial arts thread dito.

nabaliw din ako noong bata ako. my foundation, as in kung saan ako nag tagal, was original Jeet Kune Do. (JKD). I also studied JKD Concepts whenever I'd visit North America. In High School, i was able to study Combat Aikido and Ki Society Aikido, and had a short stint under Yoshinkan Aikido. I left because i found JKD as something my Soul wants and something more realistic because opponents in reality RESIST -- they fight back hard!!

In North America, while doing JKD Concepts, i cross trained in Greco Roman Wrestling, Muay Thai, Boxing, Brazilian Jiujitsu, Arnis etc.. The Arnis i took was Dan Inosanto's arnis system. He after all was the one who created JKDc. (seagal didn't last when challenged by inosanto who was a stuntman then)

I was then fortunate to meet the people who brought Pekiti Tirsia Kali from the Province to Manila and the Philippine Marines. (They're still close friends of mine. but now we're more into outdoor, survival and firearms. hehe, ganun na kami ka, magbarkada na. )

After Pekiti, I studied Kali Ilustrisimo under Tatang Ilustrisimo's 3rd oldest student on a one on one basis. night or day, rain or shine, train we did. napaka memorable.

Now, nasa Baril ako. lol

ibang iba din kapag may baril ka at mabilis kang gumalaw at mag manouvre

All i can say is 1 - teachings should be simple but teachers need to earn a living. so they therefore prolong the teaching. The problem with prolonging the teachings is that the stuff they invented aren't battle tested.

There's a popular arnis teacher in Pinas, na noong araw mabibilang mo ang core techniques, and the core techniques makikita mo galing noong panahon pa. and now sobrang daming inimbento na.

in the olden days, people needed to defend their tribe. specially amongst us pinoys. clans vs clans. every able bodied male noon had to fight.

so the teachings were really fast and simple. they should be naman. because the threat of a fight was always there.

nagpaturo ako ng "totoong teaching", it is scary!

as for the real art, alang naman gagawin mo eh slash mo na yung neck nung tao. siguradong tigok yun.

so dito papasok ang sport vs martial arts. nothing wrong with sport. maeenjoy mo talaga. but if you think its the real art, you have what i call false confidence.

kelangan talaga, balanced ego, and proper realistic confidence when it comes to MA.

as for mixed martial arts, well, Aquarian age eh padating na or nakarating na. depende sa school of thought....mergers are bound to happen.

some of the classical arts are even mixed martial arts. mixed from the very old arts.

nothing wrong with mixed as long as it works! basta huwag ka lang ma confuse. the synthesis of martial arts and the martial arts of synthesis are two different things.

you see, these mixed arts started in these modern times under Bruce Lee. he saw the "classical mess". he saw the "s**t" that teachers do to make a living. he saw the diluted teachings. at least in field of hard style martial arts.

There's a very popular Filipino-Chinese arnisador. I heard he had incorporated pressure points to Arnis. He can immobilize a person daw with the tips of his stick.

****as for training in your 30s****

it's never too late. but you'd have to accept what your age (body) can handle.
as soon as we hit 30 something...pababa na yan.

I suggest to train slow, so you can enjoy it until the end of your life. One thing i like at being 30+
is that, mas naiintindihan ko ang kalaliman ng teachings. so may certain enjoyment din yan na pati yung mga nag simula mag train noon eh ma i eenjoy din nila pag naabutan nila.  wisdom.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:44:17 am by akthung »
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has a well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close