Author Topic: martial arts/self-defense  (Read 18088 times)

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
Re: martial arts/self-defense
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:27 am »
iba training ng mahirap sis. lalo na kung sanay sa physical labor yung tao. matibay katawan ng mga yun.

maganda talaga FMA. hehe personally i'd try to be very proficient in it before trying foreign arts.

may school mate ako na babae noon. nag insist siya na mag train na gamit ang folder. nag fail yung lock. ayun cut to the bone siya sa daliri niya.
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has a well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

shadow_man

• GirlTalker
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2014, 06:52:13 am »
There are no good martial arts, only good martial arts practitioners... I mean, it doesn't mean you master this and you are invincible, at the end of the day it is how well you have integrated the art into your personal system and how well you can apply it. MA is not like a user's manual that provides you the strict  solution in situations like this and that... You only learn the basics, it is more on your part how you develop your fighting style or mix up all that you learn to suit outside dojo/gym situation.

There are many forms of martial arts, you have to find out which are you interested and which are you willing to learn no matter how painful the process of learning. LIke any other art you need sacrifice to learn.

Generally, there is no age requirement, however, it depends most on your health condition. Try to research the general background of the arts you are interested, tuition fees if reasonable, background of the school and instructors.

All those mentioned above have their merits on their own. I've trained different martial arts before, now I'm studying Aikido. You may want to put in in your bucket list as well.

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2014, 07:39:49 am »
glad you found happiness in Aikido.

I never liked Aikido despite having gone through Combat Aikido, Ki Society Aikido and Yoshinkan Aikido.

I found my happiness in other arts. I also believe in good teachers and good training and pure teachings. it takes a consciousness of a master to properly synthesize various arts. it will take a while. and ika nga ni Bruce Lee, you need a strong foundation art before you can try to synthesize other arts. a strong foundation is like having a good education in life. hindi ka basta basta ma coconfuse.

and FMA is good. i can't stress enough the importance of it. lalo na sa ibang bansa. mataas tingin nila sa pinoy FMA'er. good to have. good to be proud of.

I met a wing chun master a few weeks back. he was impressed.had nothing but praises. the more we show our culture to others, the more they get to know us, there will be less misunderstandings and discrimination. ma fefeel mo talaga yung "proud to be pinoy" instead of riding off pacman's fame or arnel pineda's fame. specially pag ikaw mismo ang naghirap.

nobody is invincible.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:05:49 am by akthung »
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has a well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

Layla

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Just like the song by Derek and the Dominos
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »
^I definitely agree bro, regarding the importance of Filipino Martial Arts. I actually appreciate our culture now more than ever because of FMA.

Sad lang that it's not that popular here in the Philippines. Mas sikat pa sa ibang bansa. That's why many foreigners travel here pa to train with the Grandmasters/masters.

And most Filipinos only know of Arnis for stick fighting. They're not aware that it's a complete system. While FMA is weapons-based (impact, edged, improvised), its drills can be translated into empty hand fighting (Panantukan). I love FMA! :D

And I quote from The Bladed Hand documentary, "FMA is our greatest cultural export."
The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence; the grass is greener where you cultivate it.

oshiawase

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2014, 11:57:09 am »
i'm in my early 20s and for the most part of my life, i'm not really physically active (i have a rather weak immune system)

But I want to have experience in martial arts but I am afraid it's too late for mee...

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2014, 05:22:15 am »
sis 20s ka pa. it's never too late to do something you really like. marami tulad mo nagstart ng early 20s at marami pang na achieve.

once you hit 30s, nag-iiba ang body ng tao, not late but you'd just have to train a little bit wiser.

early 20s is still a good age. of course ideal mag start ng bata, but not much of a problem. tiyaga lang and smart training.

go for it.

BDJ

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2014, 02:46:16 am »
i'm in my early 20s and for the most part of my life, i'm not really physically active (i have a rather weak immune system)

But I want to have experience in martial arts but I am afraid it's too late for mee...

I am already 30 nung nag enroll ng Krav Maga though it is pure self defense. I don't think age matters there. Meron pa nga ako kasabayan parang nasa 50's na eh!

Partida I didn't even know I am 4 weeks preggy na pala when I enrolled this.  ;D I availed the promo kaya 18 sessions ang kinuha ko, kaso sa paglilihi ko at yun nga nalaman ko preggy ako nasayang yung 12 sessions ko at hindi ko nabenta yung voucher.

Hopefully after ko manganak makabalik ako rito. I told my hubby gagamitin ko talaga ito to protect my kid and my family as well.

telekikay

• Mister Mojo Rising Is A
  • GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Day destroys the night, Light divides the day...
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2014, 09:24:55 am »
BDJ,

is that the krav maga school along makati ave? parang gusto ko din subukan. haven't done this in a long time.  hows the training? i'm old and i'm interested.

when i started MA at young age, i felt disappointed with karate-do, i wont mention the school.  i quit before reaching black deep because inside its not what i want, i was searching for more.  like akthung, i was into bruce lee.  there's no JKD school in the phils in the mid-80s lolz! so my friends and I improvised. by combining karate+taekwondo+yaw yan (i think)+yun nakikisawsaw na mahilig manood ng WWE. we came up with our own "blood sport" version lolz! friday night tournaments sa garahe ng kalase bago umuwi ang ama galing opisina. uuwi kaming puro pasa, may pilay, putok labi...bwahahaha sensya na nostalgia eh hehe
"Smoking helps you lose weight -- one lung at a time!"

silver_crescent

• GirlTalker
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2015, 03:00:18 pm »
Hi,

I'm interested in learning FMA.. Any suggestions where to learn (best if within/nearby Makati area)? I'm thinking to start on Arnis sana.

Looking forward to your reply.  :)
Everything happens for a reason. :)

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2015, 05:08:13 pm »
Ilustrisimo is a good art

mimai1122

• GirlTalker
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2015, 02:04:44 am »
I'm 46 years old and I do yoga regularly. I also dance and do cardio exercises. But, I'm really interested in learning Wushu and Krav Maga. I have no idea where I can learn Wushu here in our province. I don't think meron dito. I know lang of classes and schools for Taichi, Taekwondo, Karate, Muay Thaii, Balintawak, and Brazilian Jui jitsu. For Krav Maga naman, I have a friend who's in the middle of his training with the Intl Krav Maga Federation. So, he'll soon be able to open a Krav Maga school/gym here. I know a number of you have tried or are into Wushu, but what about Krav Maga? Have any of you really tried it? I was able to join a special session they had here last January and I really liked what I saw (I covered the event, but wasn't able to join the workshop). I think it'll be good for me, not just because of its physical advantages, but also because it's one of the most effective in terms of self-defense.

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2015, 05:53:39 am »
ive  tried krav maga and it seems alright. but i think one can learn more from styles that have been proven in our streets and in mindanao.

i've also heard about the politics and the competencies of teachers in pinas.
krava maga has its detractors too...

the way i see martial arts now is there are two camps the style "mayaman" and the "style mahirap"

The style mayaman is the one na mabunga-nga. and yes they do train but kala mo pasosyalan fitness gym.  pero kung, pahawakan mo ng lead pipe, or pasuntukin mo ng sako na may buhangin, hindi mag tatagal yun.

on the other hand there are arts na low profile but highly effective. special mission units from the military and law enforcement side do NOT like being popular. they will drop your school like a hot potato. of course teachers of these low profile schools are usually the best in their field.

you bleed during training. and you spar with street and battled hardened people na lumaki sa hirap.

my point here is iba ang physical conditioning ng mahirap.

so if you really want to fight...check your gym. papogi ba? or may sense. kung may sense...how competent?

oshiawase

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2017, 12:24:53 pm »
I am also in my late 20s and very interested in self-defense. It is my 2017 goal to learn at least one martial arts this 2017. Is there a particular MA you recommend for a person who has a 9-11pm schedule every weekday (in other words, MA that offers very flexible schedule).

I am initially eyeing Kali. Is there any in Makati area?

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2017, 02:17:12 pm »
Best bet for you is to train one on one with a teacher. You pay a bit higher, but training is superb and flexible, because you'd have to agree on time and place

CityHunter

• Awake, arise, or be forever fall'n!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2018, 12:11:15 pm »
Hi, mga sis (and bros.)

Does anyone have updates with regards sa topic here?  A friend is asking rin if anyone knows of any worthy guru ng taichi o wushu sa Alabang area. 

I agree doon na try to give a look sa FMA.  There's a documentary ng version which adapted from various martial arts.  Medyo may conflict among the "purists" but makita talaga yun benefit of adapting parts from others if it can be made to work sa FMA - both with weapons and no-weapons format.
We look for the real thing in friends, products and services. In people, we value sincerity more than almost any other virtue.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close