watch now

Author Topic: How to be a Model?  (Read 9951 times)

candygrenade

  • Guest
Re: How to be a Model?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 09:55:42 pm »
Well, the brutal reality about modelling is that you have to win the genetic lottery to begin with if you wish to pursue it as a full-blown profession. While it is true that there will always be someone taller, thinner or prettier, I believe what makes someone model material is the attitude and how one projects their own personal brand of beauty. It is about standing out, not conforming to the tens of thousands who look like bags of bones in heels.

mikewazowski

  • Guest
Re: How to be a Model?
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 06:52:47 pm »
Bumping this thread



I'm on my 20's now, almost out of college. Did not develop any skills, I just know how to do it. So I am average, and likely to end up with an average paying job. So I want to be a model as a part time (maybe), I want to start in Phil then in Korea, maybe.


Don't judge me for my reason, but this industry quite pay a high amount if you do great with it. Like that of a boss, which I'll never get paid doing a mediocre job considering my skills.


I'm aiming more for the runway model, since I'm quite tall and if I just try my best, I may end up having a victoria secret body figure, not bragging. Yap, runway it is since my face is not the type to be a standout on photoshoot hah.


I'm planning to make a model-like body this year, and try my luck next year. How much is the average rate for a runway model? Starting rate-when you do great heh. I'll research more on poses, angles, and such to also try my luck to other kinds of modelling. Heck, I don't want to start as an amateur, I want to start with a bunch of handy knowledge and skill.


Well, dream big it is. Quite and exciting process :3 I've wasted my 20 years of not developing kickass skill. 'm only 20 for 10 years, so I want to do great with it. Since beyond 30, the job becomes more steep.

spacemonkey

  • Guest
Re: How to be a Model?
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 04:15:11 am »
^okay, im going to give you a dose of reality, because your post sounded... sad.

How could you be proud of knowing NOTHING of value at 20, and banking everything on a modelling job that you don't even have yet?

See, I've worked with models. A lot. Commercials, fashion shows, modelling reality shows.

They're all beautiful, but at around their 20s, they tread very carefully. Why? Because as soon as you hit 23-25, your career is basically over. Younger girls come in in hordes with fresher faces and skinnier and lighter bodies. Thats why they start young, in their early teens.

You're 20. that's frankly too old to be 'dreaming' of becoming a model, you have to be one NOW. work on it NOW. You don't have 10 years.

You hit 25, you get the nanay role for a bouillon cube or pancit canton.

We've had girls who'd lie about their ages. I remember these twins from the US that as were fired and immediately sent home as soon as they landed when my producers were like -- nope, they're 23. they said they were 19. They look OLD.

I thought they were beautiful, but whatever, fashion world is finicky.


Do they pay a lot? Not unless you're part of a prestigious modelling agency. Get into one.

Freelance? Hah. You're going to be treated like those 'extras' on TV and movies -- you don't matter and you get paid way less, because in everyone's eyes "you're not pretty or good enough to get into an agency." Its even hard to get a job freelancing, because even modelling agency people are competitive.

So these freelance chicks? They're the ones amateur photographers hire. They're the ones with the cheap, FHM-ish photoshoots on sites like ModelMayhem, because they'd take anything for a portfolio. For FREE. maybe a bonus if you sleep with the photographer. Sometimes, they're the chicks at car shows or bar openings, but those are usually for the ones with boobs. Oh boy, I could tell you loads of dirt on how these models really make money.

I hope you offer more than "I'm skinny and have the body", because you're up against some models with great personalities, brains and real life skills to know how to maneuver the industry.

Heck, even they know they need a day job.

This isn't me sh!tting on your dreams, because I hope you do well, but be smart enough to know that you shouldn't wrap your entire future in this fantasy or idea of something you obviously know very little about.









« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:54:33 am by spacemonkey »

mikewazowski

  • Guest
Re: How to be a Model?
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 07:57:18 am »
Well I think you missed the part where I mentioned that i'm going to study this industry. And yeah, reality poops at everything (yeah, I chose that word bec it sounds more disgusting). I am also fully aware of who I'm agaist to, I know bec I was really interested about it when I was younger so I've researched before. And I know it will be hard to standout, that's what I'll work on too. Yeah you have experience on this industry, yes that's the reality, but the way you response is sooo pessimistic. Like stop  the nonsense your talking about, gtfo of that unrealistic goal. Yeah it kinda ruined my day, yeah you're simply stating some knowledge about what you see or observed. But whatevs. Just got to roll the dice. I have to face it myself, and not just be stopped by you're not good enough kind of talk. I may be wasting my time and effort, I personally don't mind. I'll be happier giving it a shot than not even trying because of the reality check. You may laugh at my fantasy, but k.

spacemonkey

  • Guest
Re: How to be a Model?
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 09:59:50 am »
Totally missed the point there, but alright dude, if you're seriously butthurt about the post, then you've clearly chosen then wrong field.

Good luck. Get back to me on this thread.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:14:30 am by spacemonkey »

mikewazowski

  • Guest
Re: How to be a Model?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 10:22:25 am »
Geeez. You consider that as being a butthurt? I was just a BIT annoyed -.- A down talk (or sounded like one), and not an advice, that comes from a person who has career. Probably did not encounter much difficulty to achieve whatever you are now (assuming you have budget to go to school and attend the course you wish/connections).

The thing is, if you have not experience having no option due to financial reason (not the course you want), giving up your savings to pay bills, and rarely have an opportunity to buy anything for self. At this age (started since hs), rather than partying and spending for goodies (could not even buy clothes), I'm always thinking of ways to pay bills, highschool till now -.- Basically, since my degree will make me end up with an mediocre salary, routine, dead end job, I'm looking for other options.


I don't easily get butthurt, since I know I'll encounter people with worse moutholes/will not give you a chance. But negative thinking will not help me pay bills. So... I was not butthurt lol, kidding.


Just keep in mind that other people have harder routes to make a career. Less fortunate
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:58:41 am by mikewazowski »

dismembered

  • Guest
Re: How to be a Model?
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 05:47:06 pm »
^

Based on my observation may different kinds of Models sa Philippine industry.

Ramp Models
Print Models
TV Ad Models

Lahat sila may iba't ibang difficulty para makapasok. You have to know anong advantage mo para malaman mo kung saan ka fit. I'll try to tell what I know.

Ramp/event Models - Here you need good looks and good figure. Need mo ng height at need mo rin marunong mag lakad sa ramp with matching fierce looks. Since looks and figure ang need dito, which I would say, 75% genes and 25% hard work, medyo mahirap makapasok dito. Based on observation hindi rin naman ganun kataas ang income dito unless nasa high end event ka or if kilalang kilala ka. Saturated din ang market dito dahil andami ding foreigner na kinukuha dito sa Pinas para sa ganitong klaseng models (Australian, Brazilian etc). Kadalasan  magandang stepping stone for exposure para maka-gain ng network at pampalawak ng portfolio dito kahit maliit lang ang income. I think yung ibang mga ramp models sila din yung madalas nakaka sideline sa mga events like car show etc... Madaming events kaya kapag malaki na ang network mo, kahit maliit ang income pero kung mas madaming events, malaki laki na rin ang income mo.

Print Models - Yung income nito, depende sa kind ng prints mo. If sa mga magazine, unless kilala kang tao or celebrity ka, hindi rin ganun kalaki ang bayaran dito. Pero may exception. Kapag ang print mo ay para mag endorse/model ng product, mas malaki ang income dun. Depende rin sa magiging exposure mo like Web Pictures or Billboards, pati sa lockout mo na hindi ka pwede mag model/endorse ng ibang product at contract lockout duration. Compare sa Ramp Models, hindi necessarily na may good looks at figure ka dito since may makeups naman at photoshop. Depende sa role at product endorsement kung fit ka pwede ka na din. Hindi rin kailangan masyado ng height dito since lahat naman pwede dayain sa Pics. Magandang exposure din ito.

TVC Models - I would say ito ang may pinakamataas na income sa tatlo. Pero depende sa role mo kung extra, acting extra, lead... depende sa contract/exposure/lockout din ang pay dito. Pag matagal paulit ulit ang TVC mo, pwede ka kumita as much as 70% ulit ng una mong nakuha. Hindi rin need na good looks and figures ang meron dito. Dapat may character ka dito. Depende sa need ng industry at depende sa product, kukuha sila ng fit sa role. Yung mataas ang exposure kadalasan nagiging stepping stone ito sa pagaartista. Yun nga lang, hindi ganun kadalas na makukuha ka sa TVC. Dahil may product lockout ka maliban na lang kung recurring ang role mo at regular na pabago bago ang TV Ad na yun.

Pwedeng tatlong yan ang mga raket mo, pwede ring isa lang sa mga yan. Kung mag bubuhay model ka, yan ang pagkukunan mo ng income mo.

If seryoso ka sa pagiging model, requirement number 1 mo is need mo maging malapit ang place mo sa NCR. Yung mga VTR, casting at shoot at events, kadalasan sa NCR nagaganap particularly Makati and QC.

Pwede ka maging freelance, pwede ka rin naman magkaroon ng contract sa agency. Depende sa needs mo. Advantage ng freelancers eh kahit saan pwede ka. Yun nga lang matrabaho ito at not necessarily din na walang cut sayo. Freelance ka pero sa mga agency ka pa din lalapit. So may cut pa rin sila sayo. Advantage lang is pwedeng marami kang agency pumunta depende sa mga casting na meron sila. Yung ibang agency syempre priority nila ang mga talents nila. Pero kung tingin mo mabenta ka, makukuha at makukuha ka pa rin. Dito mo rin mapapalaki ang network mo sa industry. Kapag naman may contract ka sa agency, hindi ka makakatanggap ng project kung hindi lang din galing sa agency mo. Pero maganda sa agency is may protection ka. Minsan may mga legal issues na nagaganap sa industry kaya ok din na may protection ka. At saka pag under contract ka, una ka syempre na ippresent sa mga Advertising agency and kapag wala ng option saka na lang sila kukuha ng iba. Minsan kapag malakas talaga ang agency mo, wala ng casting casting at ikaw na agad ang ialalagay sa project.


In the end... ok naman pumasok sa industry na ito if you need extra income or kung meron kang pinagiipunan habang may free time ka. Pwede mo gamitin ang income mo pang support ng study mo or para makaipon ka pang investment sa other opportunities. Pero i think, hindi enough na dito ka aasa. Mag age ka din at yung looks and figure mo ay mag fade while maraming pumapasok na mas bata at mas ok. Kung hindi mo magamit wisely ang income mo dito, I think babagsak ka pa din sa wala. So yeah, pang raket raket lang talaga ito at mahirap gawing career.

Good luck sa endeavors mo!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:00:12 pm by dismembered »

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close